New to Skiboarding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Skiboarding...

Last year was my first year skiing. My hubby and I took our kids (ages 14 and 17) 3 times. Everyone except me did great...just took off! I never did make it off the bunny slopes. My biggest problem was I couldn't get back up when I feel down. The skiis were so huge! Even tho I sucked, I still had a blast and can't wait to go back! LOL

I'm wanting to try skiboarding this year. From what I'm reading it's easier to control...stopping/balance! Is this true? I can't find information on sizing. Is there no specific size guide per height and weight? I'm 5', 125 lbs., 37 yr. old female. Not into crazy stuff...just wanna go down the hills with my family and not get left on the bunny hill by myself, fallen on the ground and unable to get back up! LOL

Thanks for any information!!

heyaim,

While I'm sure some of the gals will chime in there is no doubt you are at the right place and at your height/weight you have a great selection. Mary Janes, BWP's, Tansho's, Bantam's. All fabulous stuff. You can't go wrong. You can also go non-release bindings which are lighter and cheaper. But, if being locked in gives the willies you of course can also go with releases. You can go with or without poles. Your choice. No poles is more fun though (my opinion of course). Yea, I'm actually kind of jealous. You have so many great choices. I didn't even mention them all. I know there is one female member close to your stature. Maybe do a search for pinkkid and see what she is saying about which boards are good. There is also a member who created a very cool chart of boards and their details. I want to say it was Slow. Not exactly a lot of help but hopefully a few places to look. Others are sure to chime in.
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Good to hear you found skiboarding.

I'm about 5'4" and I've spent a lot of time on the Tanshos (90cm) which would be a good size for you to start with. The BWPs (98cm) would also be a good size and give you a little more length and stability than the Tanshos.

The Tanshos were a little too flexy for me, but thats all about preference. Once I moved up to the KTPs (101cm) I could plow through a lot more uneven / choppy snow without feeling it nearly as much as I could on the Tanshos.

Whatever you end up choosing, it sounds like skiboarding will be a good fit for you.

Comment

Welcome to Skiboarding!

Here is our Selection Guide to help you out:

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=7115

One of forum riders put it together and it should help you along along with some of the comments you get from us here.

I am 5'4" 150lbs and rode the awesome BWP's (98cm) for a long time, love that size and I also liked the soft flex they offered, fun to ride and stable. Rode the 90cm Tansho's and felt they were an extension of my legs/feet total blast!( but no so good in powder), also stable.
        Also have ridden several other boards from SBOL like KTP's, Spruce 120, SnowJams, Mary Jane's.... I can say this, they all are fabulous and each have there own character... and each person learns to ride them successfully!

You say you had a hard time getting up.... on skiboards you just don't fall as much, seriously! More than likely you will just hop on and cruise down the hill without too many issues. Sure you might fall, but getting up is easy, but it can also be tricky too since you don't have polls to kind of help you push up.. that being said, you just lean parallel to hill and start getting up and just take off again!

As for what board you might like, I ask this first, release or non release?
        I suggest the BWP's for you based on your stats.

Enjoy and again, welcome!

shelley
        C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Thanks for the information!!!! I think I'll definately give it a try! Sounds like I might do much better! As far as having bindings that release or don't release...which is better? Does it really matter?

Now I'm starting to get excited for winter! LOL

Comment

Bindings are a big matter of preference as well. Some people worry about leg injury with non-release, and some people don't want their boards to pop off no matter what.

Whether you should go with release or non depends a lot on your height, the length of the boards you choose, and your comfort level.

If you're short and using a longer skiboard, the chance you can get hurt using non-release bindings goes up.

Each skiboard listing on SBOL has a suggested minimum rider height for non-release bindings. For example on the BWPs:

Minimum rider height for best performance with:
            Non release bindings is 5’5” (165.10cm)
            Release bindings is 5’0” (152.40cm)

I would say if you're at all worried about hurting your legs, knees, ankles you should probably go with release bindings. It will give you more peace of mind and confidence because you won't be thinking about how you could hurt yourself as much.

There are many pros and cons to weigh between the two. For example, non-release bindings weigh more, but they're easier to get on and off.

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post

There are many pros and cons to weigh between the two. For example, non-release bindings weigh more, but they're easier to get on and off.
              i think courtney meant to say release bindings weigh more but are easier to get on and off. the FAQ addresses this in detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
                i think courtney meant to say release bindings weigh more but are easier to get on and off. the FAQ addresses this in detail.
                Correct.

Comment

I see you are from Ohio, do you by any chance ski at Brandywine or Boston Mills in Peninsula?
                  I teach there and would be more than happy to help you out any time I'm there and you need it.
                  Revel8 ALPdors
                  Gold Revel8 Receptors
                  Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                  ____
                  Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                  If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out!

GOW - So far we've only been to Mad River, since that's the closest. (We're about 20 min. south of Columbus.) We're talking about heading up your way this winter. If/When we do, I'll definately let you know! Thanks!

Comment

YAY! Another convert!

heyaim, you're going to LOVE skiboarding. I was in a similar situation. I had gone snowboarding, loved it, but wasn't very good at carving, so I got a bit frustrated. I tried a virtual ski lesson and that didn't wow me either. Then, I found SBOL, and it changed my life! Really.

In Tahoe, I found a pair of rental boards (which weren't very good) but it only took me 3 green runs, and I was flying down the mountain without a care, and a giant perma-grin! I spent 5 days on the mountain from open until close, and I couldn't get enough. As a life long blader, it felt like blading on snow. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't found SBOL and all the wonderful people on this forum. My trip was a complete success thanks to them. I can't wait to buy my OWN boards this year and really show the mountain what I've got!

Enjoy!
                      If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.

Independent Beachbody Coach
                      www.GetFitnessFast.com
                      www.FastFitShake.com
                      www.facebook.com/CoachHeidiG

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
                      '07 BWP's
                      2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
                      Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

Comment

if you make the trip up to SnowTrails in Mansfield I could give a few pointers as well!
                        Line Weapons with FF aluminum bindings ...

Originally posted by SkaFreak
                        I hate it when I sarcasm all over the place like that.

Comment

Belle - After everything I've read so far, skiboarding makes more sense to me. So I hope you are right!!!! I'm not sure if anyone around here rents skiboards...if not I'll buy a pair. Between myself, my son and daughter...I'm sure they'll get used plenty.

Shaggy - Wow...another from Ohio! That's awesome! I'll be heading your direction this weekend...taking the fam to Cedar Point for one last little trip before fall hits!

Comment

Originally posted by heyaim View Post
                            I'm not sure if anyone around here rents skiboards...if not I'll buy a pair. Between myself, my son and daughter...I'm sure they'll get used plenty.
                            Most places that do rent them have low quality "snowblades". The skiboards you can buy online are of much higher quality. They're definitely worth the investment, and compared to skis and snowboards high quality skiboards are very affordable.

Comment

Looks like Ohio's the place to be this winter.
                              I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Working...
                              X