Inverts and Flips in NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverts and Flips in NY

Ok these tricks are confusing me. At peak n peek these tricks seem to be perfectly ok to do anytime at all. i usually instructors even ride with my group and flip with us. Holiday valley though inverts are illegal. This confuses me. Are flips in NY legal and Peek is just lenient?
    Air 77s
    ALLZ 09 w/ grooves

it depends on the resort. some allow 'em, others do not.

Comment

ok ok. I was thinking about ski club next year but they go to valley and i couldnt practice flipping. They said something about getting qualified or something to flip there. I think its a bunch of bs.
      Air 77s
      ALLZ 09 w/ grooves

Comment

you should ask about it because maybe they would just make sure you know what you're doing and give you special exception to go inverted, that would be cool.

Comment

There are many resorts now in New York and throughout the rest of the country that require you to take a test, either online or at the resort, to get a park pass. The resorts that do so will not let you in the terrain park without the pass. Out of the resorts that do so, the smaller ones often list on the test, their website, and/or at their resort that inverts are not aloud. This is not something that is frequent throughout New York, but more so for smaller places in general. It cuts down on liability. the medium-to-larger resorts in New York usually have no issues with inverts. From my own personal experience, Hunter, Windham, Belleayre, Gore, and Whiteface have no such rules. In fact, they don't even require terrain park passes.
          I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by fourdown View Post
            There are many resorts now in New York and throughout the rest of the country that require you to take a test, either online or at the resort, to get a park pass. The resorts that do so will not let you in the terrain park without the pass. Out of the resorts that do so, the smaller ones often list on the test, their website, and/or at their resort that inverts are not aloud. This is not something that is frequent throughout New York, but more so for smaller places in general. It cuts down on liability. the medium-to-larger resorts in New York usually have no issues with inverts. From my own personal experience, Hunter, Windham, Belleayre, Gore, and Whiteface have no such rules. In fact, they don't even require terrain park passes.
            Holiday Valley doesn't require a test to get in parks but maybe for flips. I'm making my mom ask her boss at work who ski patrols there whats up today.
            Air 77s
            ALLZ 09 w/ grooves

Comment

I hope you are able to find something out about that. I would also suggest as something to assist you in inverts, if you have rollerblades see if there is a skate park with a foam pit to try out some different inverts into. They are great at not only giving you the air awareness that trampolines give but they are as close as you can get to skiboards that will teach you exactly how to throw the trick.
              I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

I hope you are able to find something out about that. I would also suggest as something to assist you in inverts, if you have rollerblades see if there is a skate park with a foam pit to try out some different inverts into. They are great at not only giving you the air awareness that trampolines give but they are as close as you can get to skiboards that will teach you exactly how to throw the trick.
                Yeah we've had a trampoline for years now. I got all the basic flips and corks down on it. Last season to learn front flips i started on my skiboards on a warmer day. The snow was very soft. After getting it down on a spine type feature I hit actual jumps right away trying it. I've posted the flips on here before but these are them...well look like youtube is down for a bit or something but look up j26xtreme front flips on youtube. I want to front flip on twin tips next season. Do you think itll be a big difference?
                Air 77s
                ALLZ 09 w/ grooves

Comment

I couldn't tell you. I have never skied before. I snowboarded for 17 years and then started skiboarding this past January. I can tell you from doing frontflips on snowboards that it is easier to stick with the longer tail. It means landing backseat is cake. From what I have heard landing in skis works in the same way with having long tails to fall back on. Skiboards, much like rollerblades, with the shortness means that you have to be almost perfectly centered with your landings.
                  I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

Comment

I couldn't tell you. I have never skied before. I snowboarded for 17 years and then started skiboarding this past January. I can tell you from doing frontflips on snowboards that it is easier to stick with the longer tail. It means landing backseat is cake. From what I have heard landing in skis works in the same way with having long tails to fall back on. Skiboards, much like rollerblades, with the shortness means that you have to be almost perfectly centered with your landings.
                    Yeah I noticed landings where much easier on twins. My only worry is the take off on bigger skis like i might catch the noses or something or stall out because i throw it too soon and the longer tips get in the way.
                    Air 77s
                    ALLZ 09 w/ grooves

Comment

I would suggest, depending on the size of the jump, to just get some extra speed going into it. What size jump were you planning on trying to do it on?
                      I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

Comment

I would suggest, depending on the size of the jump, to just get some extra speed going into it. What size jump were you planning on trying to do it on?
                        Idk the jump i was flipping last year was probably 15 to 20 feet
                        Air 77s
                        ALLZ 09 w/ grooves

Comment

With a jump that size try going into it with medium speed and give a decent huck. You don't want to case it and at the same time not get too much speed and overshoot the transition. It is easy to get too much speed and overshoot smaller jump. Make sure you pop enough so when you come back down you can untuck enough to get a solid, comfortable landing.
                          I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

Comment

HV is pretty serious about no flips. ive herd of passes taken for it. THey have a trip or two with the snowboard team to Lake Placid to some official certifacation, pretty BS if you ask me. Go on thier forum and ask about it ive seen it on there before.

Comment

Does that include corks and flatspins?
                              I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

Comment

Working...
                              X