Riding a Volcano- End of the Season Trip Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding a Volcano- End of the Season Trip Report

My buddies, Bill and Michael , and I decided to end our season on a high note yesterday with a trip the Lassen Volcanic National Park to climb and ride the dormant volcano . Road crews are still battling twenty foot high snow drifts and the park road is not fully open, but IS open to a parking lot at Bumpass Hell which puts us a 1 mile hike away from the summit trail head over dry pavement .

Here is the Lassen road near our parking lot.

My buddies decide to hike in their ski boots... I have a better idea ( or is it ?) and put on my tennis shoes and arrange all my equipment on my pack !

Ok , let me have Bill tell the story from this point .. thanks Bill for shooting the great video . I am glad I did get some video of you skiing the volcano and included that in the final edit of the film . In the video you will see me riding with a shortened ice ax pole in one hand which is de rigeur skiboarding gear on big mountain descents in summer where a fall can cause you to slide out of control .

This has been a most fabulous season out here in the west ,one that will live in our memories for years to come !

Lassen 2010 from jack jue on Vimeo.

href="http://vimeo.com/12886208">Lassen 2010 from jack jue on Vimeo.

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

A Few more pics

Summit of Lassen with touring binding equpped Condors that got me up there !
    Sorry DCox .. I didn't realize that I had put my bindings on backwards on one of my Condors so the graphics don't match !

View of the West face of Lassen , we rode down the south face and then onto the bottom of the west face

View back down toward some of the surrounding mountains from part way up Lassen . Still an amazing amount of snow .

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Amazing that you guys still have that much snow out there. I havent seen snow on the ground since mid-march!

Thanks for sharing!

I'm just going on summer vacation this week and now, because of you I want to ski again...lol

Cheers!

Comment

Awesome! Dont Think Twice.............
        Crossbow (go to dream board)
        Most everything else over time.
        Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
          Awesome! Dont Think Twice.............
          Yes , climbing and backcountry skiing and riding has been called a selfish and useless passion especially with all the more pressing things in the world that need to be fixed , and the people that need to be helped.. but it is VERY hard to pass up another day in paradise , with a couple of friends.......

here are some more pics from Michael .....

summit parking lot , still in the process of being plowed out

I think they need to get the restrooms dug out before they can open !

morning light on the suncupped snow down lower on the mountain

Billy beginning the climb

Billy going straight up the steep section ! Michael and I took a more zig zag route. ..
          Boards :
          Boots
          Bindings:

Comment

Your adventures this season have made me realize that I need to consider moving there in a couple of years.
            Revel8 ALPdors
            Gold Revel8 Receptors
            Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
            ____
            Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
            If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Perfect song choice for that video, Jack. It looks like paradise out there.
              Boards/Bindings:
              2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
              2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Working...
              X