Summer Skiboarding-Trip Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Skiboarding-Trip Report

Forecast is for it to hit 97 degrees in town today , so my son and I decide to high tail it up to the hills where there is still cold snow . Up at 500am and on the road.
    Stop at the Nyack gas station that has some cool old time skis and snowshoes on the wall

To me touriing skiboards are the modern equivalent of skiable snowshoes and the very best combo yet of skis and snowshoes.

Here is my son , Jordan, ready to climb up the hill .. still plenty of snow at the base of the chair lifts. Ski area has been closed for a month now ! nice and cool with air temp around 36 degrees so we are in long sleeve shirts to start with .
    Forecast is for the mid 70's here later in the day , so we want to get up and down before the snow gets too slushy. He is on 125 cm Summit Marauders with Fritschi extra long touring bindings to accomodate his size 13 feet.

Here is Dad with his new summer touring gear .. Garmont Excursion telemark boots with duckbill amputated. . custom modified receptor touring binding on the original soft ALP 110. and mega brace for bum left knee ( said brace is usually hidden under my ski pants)

Both of us are equipped with climbing skins, crampons on our skiboards , , collapsible poles that we will stow for the descent and proper summer skiboard attire !

Jordan climbing up the main summit bowl .. as you can see plenty of snow up here .. snow is starting to soften nicely as we climb up the bowl . temps are starting to soar and we are in just t shirts and shorts now .

Jordan making the summit king of the hill! He brings along a Burger King crown to make it offficial.

Nice view of Lake Tahoe

Dad decides to climb a bit higher and drop the steep little section from the true summit ridge while Jordan waits below. Great to be making turns , in sun softened snow on a steep slope in mid June . Magic !

Jordan makes some sweet turns lower down ..

Some other skiers and snowboarders going up to climb comment on how cool our short "skis"are , especially for this kind of summer riding .
    we can't agree more !

By 1030am we are back down the ski area access road and having breakfast at the local river side cafe . in 68 degree temp .

Definetly , summer just a mile down the road from the ski area

Back home by 100pm , lounging by the pool in the 96 degree temp !
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Ah.......... California!
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Comment

That's incredible! Still shredding in mid June. It's miserable here. The sun hasn't shined for days, just rain, rain and more rain. I'm ready to move back out West. Maybe I'll give Cali a try.
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Working...
      X