Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skiboarding- So where do we go from here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiboarding- So where do we go from here?

One of the most important interviews that I have seen posted up here on SBOL by way of Brobomb is this recent one by Jason Levinthal . The thread about it up on the general discussion section here a couple of months ago was pretty much without comment and I completely missed it

BroBomb - Jason Levinthal Interview from BroBomb on Vimeo.

Roussell and Skafreak posted some comments on the Brobomb site which I enjoyed.
    http://brobomb.com/2010/03/know-your...hal/#more-1380

Very interesting comments from Levinthal about merging the idea of skis and snowboards into a new type of ski very different from the skis of the time . and 1/2 the length . So the interviewer tries to get Levinthal to admit that twintippers now are riding just long skiboards. . but Levinthal , likes ,rather to say that the early skiboarders were just riding skis that were 15 years ahead of their time . The original line ultrawide prototype first skiboards were amazingly good as Crazy-boy1 demonstarted by riding them this season some 15 years after they were introduced. As we all know and folks knew in 2000 skiboards are insanely fun many companies produced them , the boards had exposure on X games and ESPN . and then here we are in 2010 with NONE of the major ski companies producing skiboards . If as J Levinthal says skiboards were and are just skis , then why the hell isn't his company , or any other ski company producing twin tips in the 90 cm to 130 cm range for adults to ride anymore ????? Why is there a profusion of twins in the 150 to 180 cm range but aside from the Icelantic Scout none below 150 for adults ?

Come on , is it because folks just won't buy these things ? If anything we know about advertising and culture in 2010 is true .. .if boards like the ALP , Condor , Revolt , BWP , and Spruce longboards were rented in rental shops , taught on in ski schools , ridden by pros in the park , on x game and espn ,
    these things would be ubiquitous on the ski slopes , and all the ski companies would have a line of skiboards as well as long skis ... and yes , as , J levinthal says we would all be happy and all call ourselves "Skiers" but look around you and what do you see ... Skiboards despite being around for 15 years are nowhere to be seen in ski shops, ski rental shops , in ski schools , we who ride them are oddballs , freakish "fruitbooters " , with our weird " fruitboot conventions and gatherings " and J . Levinthal who invented a supremely competent 1st crack at the things we ride today , no longer produces them or rides them . WTF gives??? Where does the answer lie ?

The answer was given in the best article every written on the subject . by Morton Lund just as skiboarding was becoming popular
    the collapse of skiboarding since that article makes an excellent footnote and proof of Lund's thesis.
    http://www.skiinghistory.org/taylor.html

Short skis , Shortees, goon skis , figles, snowblades, skiboards , whatever you call them has been a counter movement to long skis since the very beginning of the modern history of skiing . . They have been easy to learn on , easy to ride and competent all over the mountain .

The answer for me is two pronged 1/ that there has been a historical trend as Lund points out from the very beginning of short skis becoming popular and then being shot down or at best co-opted by the ski establishment . 2/ that visually skiboards link themselves right away to skis and look like kid's skis on big people and skiing in many ways is an ego type sport . we want to look good and feel good and looking like a tyro on kids skis is a hard sell .

It is an uphill battle and one that has been lost many times historically .
    Yet the idea , because it is a very powerful one , keeps rising like a phoenix from the ashes .

For me the answer in 2010 is to become our own sport , our own look ., to make a statement every time we are on the slopes. For me , and for many reasons. it is time to no longer Just to say we are skiing on short sticks and what we do is just a part of skiing . but to pave our own way ... yes there are similarities ... but it is the very shortness of our sticks that sets us apart ! Let us for once not have the idea fade away once more but rise and flourish ! As J .Levinthal said it was necessary to create a new word " SKIBOARD " AND a new sport " skiboarding" For Levinthal that was only necessary because at the time skis were so different from what he wanted to do with two sticks that he had to call it something else. I strongly believe that that reason has not died .. now more then ever it is necessary to set us apart ..
    yup " proud to be a SKIBOARDER " , no , sorry , I am not a skier .. I am a skiboarder and proud to be one , thank you very much !
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

In reflection of these and other comments, the Condor is probably the most important skiboard ever produced. Why? Because it simply cannot be classified as a 'kids ski'. It is so very obviously something different. Luckily, it has the goods to live up to its looks. In ten years of riding skiboards no other board I have used has caused so many sane questions from skiers, and so far, zero derision.
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Comment

This is good stuff. I really like how history has shown that attempting to make skiboarding some sort of warm up for "real skiing" ends up falling flat. Good. I could not be happier that is the case. Jack nailed it - I'm a skiboarder and proud of it. If for whatever reasons, we as skiboarders choose to endlessly compare ourselves to skiing then we should be relegated to the footnotes of the sport. I've said it before - we need to actively discover the unique characteristics of our chosen tools and exploit those differences. In other words, we need to have fun our way. We need to do our thing and we to do it our way. I have a good example - this past season I took a mogul class and was required to have poles. I took the class, put the poles back in my locker and went about adapting what I learned into a skiboard activity. It worked. My instructor, who also happened to be a man I used to work with (We were never counterparts. I'll never be up to Kuni's skill level) actually took notice of my adaptation and in a sort of back-handed compliment way stated "Well, you've made it work for you." That is the whole point. The tools we have are just that - tools. We need bring ourselves to the table to make these unique, wonderful tools shine. We can begin anywhere - exactly as I began moguls with "traditional" instruction. After the "traditional" instruction I had to bring me to the table. I had to get out there and make the technique mine. I looked much different in the end. As is always the case with skiboarding, my entire body was involved. Nothing was static. Every movement required all of me. For the length of time we refuse to see ourselves as completely different will be the length of time we will be held in our self-imposed status as second class to skiing. Our tools are not "better skis". They are skiboards. A completely different and unique way of enjoying snow. Once we can project that through ourselves skiboarding will have arrived. I assure you, it's not the tools holding back the onslaught - it's the practitioners. We all have it inside of us. We just need to look, listen and act in a manner consistent with what our hearts are saying to us. We will stand tall as a wonderful and unique activity. We will arrive. Do not let the fear of the journey overtake you. Ignore the status quo. It is they who fear us - not the other way around. Look inside and act. Do what feels natural and fun.

I read once something that goes like this - Although they may come to scoff, some will remain to pray. Exactly.
      "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

You're all overthinking this. The answer is simple. Where do we go from here?

The mountains.
        I do it because I can.
        I can because I want to.
        I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
        '08 KTPs

Comment

SkaFreak,

Yes, of course. But, how do we address our friend the mountain? What is our attitude? Our mentality? How do we apply those attitudes and mentalities? The idea that uniqueness is somehow the exclusive playground of those naturally blessed with a different way of seeing things is a fallacy. 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. The ability to see the value in something and work to prove that value. Persistence of thought and action.
          "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Comment

Originally posted by SkaFreak View Post
            You're all overthinking this. The answer is simple. Where do we go from here?

The mountains.
            yes , of course , it is the mountain and not the tool that is the most important .
            I have been on the mountain on long skis , short skis , long skis mounted with telemark bindings, short skis with telemark bindings, a telemark monoboard , skiboards with telemark bindings and now with proper skiboards and proper skiboard bindings. . I have had great fun on all of them and ,as Mahatma has pointed out I have put in the perspiration and the time on each of these tools to get good at it so the tool disappears and the mountain becomes again the most important thing . For me the very most direct relationship with the mountain I have had and the most fun up until now has been on skiboards. Maybe it is just because the mountain is so important that the tool I use IS important ,my other tools are gathering dust exactly because skiboards ALLOW me to not overthink about what I am doing in the mountains , but just BE myself in the mountains and that is great !
            Boards :
            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
            Boots
            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
            Bindings:
            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
              ...skiboards ALLOW me to not overthink about what I am doing in the mountains , but just BE myself in the mountains and that is great !
              This is it. Simple, concise, easily digested. Bring you. Be you.

Comment

Exactly the idea I was getting across. There's no need to "go" anywhere with skiboarding. If you go out, ride, enjoy yourself, and support the sport, then skiboarding will go wherever it is meant to. I enjoy skis, I enjoy skiboards, I enjoy hurling myself off the top of a steep powdery hill and rolling down.

As for setting the sport apart, for now the only thing that I find that truly creates a division is the feel of skiboarding and the ability to ride even tighter trees. Until people start doing something that sets the sport apart from skiing, nobody but us will care. Even then, they'll probably continue to talk trash...and I couldn't care less. I like what I do. I would love to see the sport bring in a bit more money allowing extra technology to be implemented, etc., but I honestly don't see that happening any time soon. I'll tell people about skiboards, loan em pairs, point em to SBOL, but at the end of the day we will never completely outrun the stigma currently attached. It's no different than the fight against any other form of prejudice.
                I do it because I can.
                I can because I want to.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

'08 KTPs

Comment

Where do "we" go from here.

It's plain and simple, either continue to ride Skiboards or ride another form of snow sliding device.

If you want to get the sport to have more money, you need to put more money into it. Have more skiboard only comps, Have more skiboard ride days, have a Skiboard demo day at different mountains, have progressing riders for the younger kids to look up to. All of these will get the name and the sport out there.
                  Mike W.

00-Line Mike Nick Pro 98cm w/ Line FF Pro Bindings
                  Canon M7's (black) w/ groove bindings

Comment

I guess this is all about wanting to share. Maybe the kinds of folks who involve themselves in forums such as this are natural sharers. I know I have just the greatest time on skiboards and want others to have some of that enjoyment too. That leads me to thinking about expanding the sport. But then, evangelists usually end up alone
                    Crossbow (go to dream board)
                    Most everything else over time.
                    Go Android

Comment

Skiboards the Mopeds of the Winter world ?

This is one of the most sane threads on a long ski forum that I have seen from back in 2006 .. makes for interesting reading .. remember this was before the full development of our wider and longer over 100cm modern skiboards ...
                      As one guy says :

"Asking about snowblades in a ski forum is sort of like inquiring about mopeds in a motorcycle forum. Although they're related, a lot of folks look down on them (mopeds, that is ). Don't listen to the naysayers! Get out on them and find out for yourself what they're like. "

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/...vs-snow-blades

To me , as a free skier and not a park guy , the most important thing about modern skiboards is that our mopeds have suddenly grown up and now have the power and stability and versatility of motorcycles....
                      Boards :
                      Boots
                      Bindings:

Comment

I agree with Mike. It is more than just riding to have fun. Of course we want to have fun, that;s why we skiboard. But, we all need to do our part to keep our sport alive. Inform the people who ask questions and stand up to those who look down on our sport.
                        I'm not a guy who crosses from skiing to skiboarding. I've never been on skis and I have zero desire to ever get on skis. I snowboarded for 17 years and felt it was no longer for me the second I discovered skiboards. I am a skater on snow. And that is exactly where my style is derived from. Skiboards allow certain tricks that cannot be done on skis. Grinds and grabs specifically. I like the feel of skiboards. I ride B-Dubs and love the short length. I wouldn't even go longer at this point.
                        I repsect what skiers are doing, but it's just not me. I think part of the confussion and debate lies with skiboarders who ski just as often. I actually find that kind of disheartening. It's one thing to ride the wto very differently, but if you ride both with the same style you're making the two sports seem the same, thus contributing to the feeling that skiboarding is just a warmup.
                        Another problem is the way some skiboarders present themselves. Establish your vibe as a skiboarder, not just another slope junky. Carry more proud and uniqueness with how you present yourself on the mountain. Ditch the newschooler look. That's just feeding to the fire.
                        But most of all, be proud of who you are. I know I am. I skiboard because it's what I love. I skate on the snow. And if you prove yourself to be that way, you and the sport will gain the respect it deserves. It's already started to happen.
                        I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by fourdown View Post
                          Skiboards allow certain tricks that cannot be done on skis. Grinds and grabs specifically.
                          This is one of the most common things I hear, but one of the least common things I see. Can you give a good example of a trick that has been done on skiboards and not on skis. I used to think the same thing, but after seeing the traveling circus guys I'm beginning to see less and less that I actually think can only be done on skiboards. And if there are things, I think they need to be brought more to the front of the sport, since they're what actually make it stand out.
                          I do it because I can.
                          I can because I want to.

'08 KTPs

Comment

Originally posted by SkaFreak View Post
                            This is one of the most common things I hear, but one of the least common things I see. Can you give a good example of a trick that has been done on skiboards and not on skis. I used to think the same thing, but after seeing the traveling circus guys I'm beginning to see less and less that I actually think can only be done on skiboards. And if there are things, I think they need to be brought more to the front of the sport, since they're what actually make it stand out.
                            If my eyes weren't deceiving me, in one of the latest edits dropped on SBMag I saw one of the russians I think it was drop a Unity, which, while not impossible with skis, I doubt you'll really see anyone do one.

edit: http://sbmag.wordpress.com/2010/05/2...k-edit-russia/

Tries it first at 0:41 and at 3:19 actually nails it.

But yeah, there are very few things that can be done one way that are impossible the other way, but it goes both ways, while we can get more technical on our grinds, to throw things such as unities, we can't go as big on our airs, because of how much more difficult it is to land with the smaller footprint.
                            2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

Ill keep trying to progress until my legs snap. I dont know if thats the kind of answer youre looking for, but thats where im going
                              facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

Working...
                              X