May Pow Day - Slow saves my bacon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May Pow Day - Slow saves my bacon!

In Cali we are blessed with the winter that will not die ! 6 inch of fresh over a firm base fell over night and we are hot on the trail of some pow turns ....
    May 23rd , fresh pow , temp 25 degrees when we arrive at the trail head !
    Here were are on the Summit
    Me

Michael shooting some pics of the nice views

Billy at the summit

View of Lake tahoe from the summit , sure doesn't look like May 23d eh ???

As many of you know . .Slow has created a brilliant touring adapter for the Zero skiboard binding ( aided by Bill ) , it performed brilliantly in difficult climbing conditions today ... as many of you also know I have been using the zero front lever bale as a climbing bale .. that puts a lot of stress on the one screw that holds the front lever on the front bale .. and somehow the screw and plate that holds the front lever came loose , and the front lever fell off ...
    So now I am on the top of the mountain (2nd round ) with no way to clip into my skiboard binding ... . man I am toast .. I will have to climb down this thing on foot while my buddies enjoy the pow ... then I realized that Slow had studied how telemark bindings worked and how the front toe piece of a telemark binding keeps the toe of the telemark boot from moving side to side .. ridiing telemark skis is quite styling , guys and gals control their skis only with the front piece of the telemark binding the heel is free . you can either make bent knee telemark turns or ride your skis like regular alpine skis but without a locked heel , one false move and you are over the handle bars , you need to have perfect balance ... Will Slow's touring binding allow me to ride my Condor telemark style down a 1700 very steep mountain ? Ist I have to spin the binding around so I amd set back 4 cm not set forward 4cm !!! Will it work , , Well we will see !
    This is the ultimate torque test for Slows touring binding... if i had my regular method of just laying the telemark cables over the front bale of the skiboard heel bale there is absolutely no way I would be able to ski down ... yes I decided to use poles ... anything to help me out .. my buddies followed me down to make sure nothing blew up ... nothing did .. Slow's touring adapter for the zero heel piece performed flawlessly and I was able to ride 1700 vertical feet tele style in perfect controll . Sweeti !! Thank you Slow ( and Bill for the bushings .) this redundant skiboard binding is absolutely fabulous .. something breaks and you still have a way to get down with telemark cables and touring adapter .. !!!!! right on ..
    ps . perhaps Slow and Bill can help me figure out a bomber way to keep the front lever of the Zero binding from falling off when stressed to the max as a heel elevator !!! maybe retrofit a bigger ,longer screw with a lock nut on the end ????
    ps we figured out that a backcountry day has a ratio of about 6-8 to 1 of uphill vs downhill ,so I hope you forgive me if this 10 minute long opus from me has much more uphill then downhilll

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Nice pics and video Jack. Really helps me start to understand what you are up against in the backcountry. I found the part with you side hilling on the ice very interesting, and much more work that I expected.

Too bad you lost the screw that mounts the lever to the bale. Using the lever as Bill has suggested in the past under the sole of the boot to avoid loading the retaining plate/screw should work with the toe box concept. We need to beg Bill to come up with thumb screws that are captive to the crampon to replace the wing nuts so the lever can be seated consistently when used as an elevator.

Good to hear the toe box parts held together. Please take a close look when you have time to see if the fasteners and retaining plate are still OK, or if anything else needs to be looked at.

Thanks Jack for "risking your life" to be a skiboarding test rider.
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Okay seriously, I live on the wrong side of the country.
      I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

I'm told there is skiing available in Colorado, also, late in the season for folks like Jack and his buddies who are willing to hike.

Comment

So amazing! You guys never cease to amaze me in what you're willing to do for some more riding. I can't say that I blame you. I could see myself getting into that if I weren't surrounded by sweltering heat, mosquitoes, flat topography, and did I mention the sweltering heat? I've always considered myself a true Florida girl, but the more I see pics and vids like this, I begin to scratch my head, wondering if I've got it all wrong!
          If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.

Independent Beachbody Coach
          www.GetFitnessFast.com
          www.FastFitShake.com
          www.facebook.com/CoachHeidiG

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
          '07 BWP's
          2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
          Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

Comment

it was 85 and i went golfing today...

Comment

Lassen next

With all of the snow this year. Mt. Lassen should be very skiable well into June and maybe later. We've done it 2 of the past 3 years.

Michael.
              Michael - Backcountry Skier Extraordinaire - Reformed Telemark & Alpine Skier
              Icelantic Scouts with Fritschi AT bindings; Spruce Mtn. Sherpas with Alpine bindings & riser

Comment

Emgergency skiboard binding

In my panicked state of mind , i thought that by rotating my binding around 180 degrees that i would suddenly be set back 4cm on the binding for my emergency telemark binding .. of course by doing this I did absolutely nothing and was still 4cm ahead of center going down .. in order to get a proper 4cm set back . i would have had to do a major adjustment with moving the screws in the holes of the zero binding and then moving the sole plates. .. thank god I didn't realize I was riding down the hill on free heel telemark bindings set 4cm AHEAD of center in powder on a steep slope ... I would have been REALLY scared !!
                Here I am snapping into what I think are set back bindings ... even before I take off the skins I am sliding all over the place ... of course , I had supreme trust in Slow's prototype skiboard telemark binding and I THOUGHT I was set back 4cm so I had enormous FALSE confidence ... ! LOL Had absolutely no idea I was 4cm FORWARD until i was playing around wtih my skiboards tonight in the garage and checking out this outtake from the editing garbage of my movie!

Boards :
                Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                Boots
                K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                Bindings:
                Zero Pro Non release Binding
                Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Working...
                X