Dcox20 goes Backcountry !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dcox20 goes Backcountry !

Today I had the great pleasure of having the Mad Scientist of Revel8 graphics join me in the backcountry .

Here is Dave ready for action in front of Clair Tappan Lodge

Dropping our packs and gearing up for the climb

Detail of climbing binding (Bill's tour modified Receptor binding fits Dave's nice Deeluxe hardshell snowboard boots )

Ready for action !

On the way up , Dave passing the steepest trickiest part of the climb ..

Summit !!!

Sweet run !!! ( Even after bitten by snow snake )

On the way home , got to descend the double black diamond cross country run "1st Hill"

Later in the day we are across the way at Donner Ski ranch and Dave shows our climb and descent just to the left of the abandoned back side Boreal chair lift on the steep slope across the Valley

The DCox20 Official Backcountry video ... strange backcountry snow snake reaches right up out of the snow and grabs poor Dave's right leg in the last frame ... he survived ! Super day Dave ! way fun !

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

HAHHAHA - love the video! Hey, if you're not falling then you're not trying hard enough!!

Big thanks to Jack for a great day in the backcountry and at Donner! Jack is skiboarding's backcountry ambassador if there ever was one.

What a great tour guide, he showed me how to use everything properly, gave me climbing tips, and was willing to go at my pace (which was very slow at times) as I huffed and puffed my way up the hill. It was an incredible workout and I now have sore muscles I didn't even know were there.

My descent was totally fun - I think that translates in the video as I do my best to handle the grabby snow, got a little too far over the handlebars and faceplanted - hahaha didn't hurt though.

After that we went over to Donner Ski Ranch where they still have pretty decent snow and about 90% of their terrain was open. Jack pulled out his 60s era Clif Taylor Shortee skis, they actually seemed to handle the steeper stuff pretty well but we could definitely see the benefits of our sports technological advances as I zoomed past him in the flats.

While hanging out outside the bar we met some snowskaters and talked shop for a little while about skiboards.

On our way out we stopped at a small ski museum and met a guy who skied with Clif Taylor (maker of the Shortee) and learned about some of the history of the Donner area. When Jack showed him the shortee skis the guy offered Jack $100 on the spot for them! he really wanted those!

All in all a terrific day, I'm a bit sore today and rethinking whether I'll stick with the bike ride I had planned LOL
    Dave | Elevendy

Comment

Snow snake.... hahahahaha!!!

Very cool fun pictures!

What a good time for you guys!

Those bindings are so cool!

Dave, did you go ahead and do your bike ride.... I think you posted something on FB about it? Geting a good shape! Be sure to accept friendship request on FB, if not no biggie.
      C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

That was a great video. What fun!

Dave,

Maybe you need to try a setback next time.

Wendell
        Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
        Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
        Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
        History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Originally posted by wjeong View Post
          That was a great video. What fun!

Dave,

Maybe you need to try a setback next time.

Wendell
          Wendell , Dave was borrowing my Condors , which are set up to be 4cm back when going down (4cm forward when going up ) ...
          even with a 4cm set back on the Condor , I myself have on occasion been bitten by the snowsnake and taken a face plant , especially in the kind of grabby backcountry snow Dave and I were in ... the longboards are a bit more forgiving fore and aft which is one of the nice things about the 130 Sherpa , especially ..
          I have to be a little more aware of my balance on the 110 Condor even when set back , while it is kind of like autopilot city on the 130 Sherpa even when center mounted in this kind of snow .. Really kind of a trade off..
          I am really enjoying the Condor now because of the maximum manuverability but I know that I am giving up a bit of fore and aft stability going down to 110 from a 130 board both of which have about the same surface area and float .. . both the Condor and the Sherpa are great boards .. just a matter of doing the equation trade off of manuverability for stability for each individual rider.
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Zero Pro Non release Binding
          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Working...
          X