Smitty Stevens PHD- Skiboard Pioneer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smitty Stevens PHD- Skiboard Pioneer

The story of Clif Taylor ,short ski pioneer, has led me to the story of some other short ski ( skiboard ) pioneers . One of these guys was Smitty Stevens a highly respected Harvard psychologist who got bitten by the short ski bug about the same time Clif Taylor did in the 1960's. Being an experimental type guy and a scientist he went on the hunt to devise the perfect short ski . Here is a pic of the quiver of short skis he developed ..... along with his boots and the good doctor's cat .. .

Let's let Smitty do the talking ...
    "I set in motion a series of experiments to find the ideal length if there is one . There isn't , of course , because people differ in size, shape , and desire =including the desire to be different. But there may be an ideal length for a large-size adult (me) whose only aspiration is to wedeln without effort down any slope in any kind of of snow .
    The next experiments employed the front 3 feet of a pair of surplus army skis . They were sawed into two well ahead of the old toe irons and the back 4-foot sections were consigned to the woodpile. The heels of the front ends were rounded in order to make skiing backward less of a hazard, for skiing backward , it turns out, has certain not -to be -neglected assets. The bindings were mounted so that the front of the boot was at the center of the 3-foot (91 cm ) ski. Thus equipped , I went gunning for deep powder.

Over the next few weeks I found depths ranging up to 30 inches, and a broad variety of conditions . The deep snow was always so delightfully easy to handle that , if the short skis were sinking in deeper than full-length skis, nothing about the process made the fact very obvious . The rhythmic dipsy-doodle technique worked precisely the way it should . You sit back , point up the tips and bounce .

Several of my students and friends served as guinea pigs-some willingly , others under mild duress. We assembled skis of various lengths , from 21 inches (53cm) on up and started to study the infinitely complex problem that results when length , skill , snow conditions and practice time were allowed to interact more or less at random. There are too many variables in skiing for any problem to be mastered in a single season but it was a great sight to see half a dozen skiers streaming down the mountain all on skis less than 4 feet long (122 cm) . It was worth the price of a lift ticket.

The experimenting got interrupted for three weeks toward the end of March 1960 by some scientific meetings over in Italy ( meetings are always interrupting my good experiments ) but there were some compensating side trips to the mountains. Two of us skied all the trails around Zermatt and over the pass to Cervinia , Italy on half-length skis - to the mounting consternation of some of the guides. One of them shook his head and said ,"Those skis , they are not for here " How wrong can a professional get ? It was the only time in my life I have squeezed every skiable hour out of five consecutive days without folding up from compete exhaustion . One instructor summed it up after he had followed us down over the biggest moguls west of India: "You seem to do easy what for me is a hard work ."

Back home again in April , we carried on until late May, finishing the season in Tuckerman's Ravine. Then we took stock . Granted that all conclusions are subject to change without notice-and no refunds -the accumulated evidence suggests that 40 inches (102cm) is a good length ski for a wide range of skiers. A quarter inch of camber is desirable if you can get it , the toe of the boot should be set at the center of the ski as measured from tip to tail . The interesting fact about the length is that , when the skis are longer than about four feet (122cm ) , they have to be lifted in turns,. The skier must use an energetic heel thrust and does not get the full dividend that comes from the shorter board -the wonderfully effortless turning by leaning . "

Here is a picture of Smitty and his wife Didi just before his death in 1973 skiing at Vail on his beloved shortie skis.

His story has a prominent place on the Harvard University Dept of Psychology web site

http://www.isites.harvard.edu/icb/ic...e=stevens.html

He is ranked as of the top most influential psychologists of the century AND
    "Stevens had a number of other unusual interests. ....... He invented many gadgets, including a short downhill ski which he passionately defended in many articles as superior to conventional skis."

An annual race in his honor is run each year at a prestigious Winter Conference on Brain research where " Each year the fastest female scientist and the fastest male scientist are declared the Smitty Steven's Award winners. They win the honor of having their names engraved upon one of the short skis fabricated and skied upon by Smitty. This highly prestigious award, which has appeared under the Awards column on several professional curriculum vitae, is cherished by WCBR attendees"

http://www.conferences.uiuc.edu/conf...n.asp?cat=4410

Rip Smitty ! I think you are smiling down on us right now , applauding what we are doing in 2010 on our shorties and wishing us well !
    you were truly a remarkable man and our brother in spirit !

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

He apparently just didn't have enough time to discover that the mid of the boot should be centered, not the toe
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

Comment

Jjue, notice the mention of ideal(?) camber of around .25 inch? If only!
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by SkaFreak View Post
        He apparently just didn't have enough time to discover that the mid of the boot should be centered, not the toe
        You are quite right , Skafreak , just not enough time for skiboard technology to catch up .
        Actually , in my research on this , there was a lot of experimentation amongst the short ski pioneers on the location of the boot on the ski as this was really uncharted territory . Most of the guys decided on either the ball of the foot at center line of the Running Surface of the ski , or the front of the boot at the center line of the short ski measured tip to tail . My own theory on why they did not settle on mid sole boot center mount .. was that these guys wanted an all mountain short ski that would work off piste in variable snow and in deep pow as well as on the groomers. They were saddled with ski shapes of the time that were very narrow by current skiboard standards. My own experiments have shown me that if you are undergunned flotation wise , you can compensate by moving the binding back on the skiboards to allow the tip to come up and not sink in soft snow . I am sure if Smitty had the big wide shapes we currently have to work with , he would have settled on a boot location more toward the current mid boot center mount positions .
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
          Jjue, notice the mention of ideal(?) camber of around .25 inch? If only!
          Yes Valmorel , these guys loved to spin on their boards and go backwards , and realized straight away that low camber was where it was at and that the higher camber of long skis was not necessary in the shorties.
          Boards :
          Boots
          Bindings:

Comment

Be interesting to cut up a pair of modern day carvers and see how they feel. Much wider of course, with way more sidecut. Think I will grab a pair and see how it goes.
            Crossbow (go to dream board)
            Most everything else over time.
            Go Android

Comment

More History - of GLM

Originally the short ski movement was a movement to allow any skier to like Smitty says " wedeln without effort down any slope in any kind of condition " . In the 1970's it quickly became coopted by the ski industry as a way to TRAIN skiers to learn how to ski "proper "long skis quickly with the goal to give up the shorties and move on to "real' skis . The GLM or graduated length method of ski instruction was developed by Clif Taylor himself and quickly became adopted by many ski areas. It later died out , only to have a bit of a resurgence in the 1990's to be replaced now by learning to ski on "shaped skis " in 150 and above lengths .
              Here is a bit of interesting perspective ...
              http://www.adventuresportsonline.com/shortskis.htm

Although some skiboarders start out on skiboards now and "move on " to long skis , it is a self generated thing and our skiboards are no longer a footnote coopted by ski instruction professionals and resorts. . What is really cool to me is that Skiboarding , now is no longer a stepping stone in learning how to ski , but a real sport in its own right . We have realized what Clif Taylor and Smitty Stevens were really saying all along , the shortees are great fun in their own right and are hugely competent all over the mountain, and while you could ski long skis .. why do so when you are having so much pure joy on the shortees ???
              Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

Working...
              X