Middle of the Skiboard Season ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle of the Skiboard Season ?

Yesterday Mammoth Mountain in California announced that they will be open for daily lift served skiing and riding through July 4th

http://www.theskichannel.com/news/sk...until-July-4th

Mammoth is a 4 1/2 hr drive from my front door ... but I will probably just be hiking for the goods in the local tahoe sierra mountains ... after the lifts stop turning in our local mountains ! Sweet , sweet year !!!

ps . the snow keeps coming , more pow in the forecast for Sunday when I will be heading out into the backcountry ..
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

and Wendell is there!
    C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
      Yesterday Mammoth Mountain in California announced that they will be open for daily lift served skiing and riding through July 4th

http://www.theskichannel.com/news/sk...until-July-4th

Mammoth is a 4 1/2 hr drive from my front door ... but I will probably just be hiking for the goods in the local tahoe sierra mountains ... after the lifts stop turning in our local mountains ! Sweet , sweet year !!!

ps . the snow keeps coming , more pow in the forecast for Sunday when I will be heading out into the backcountry ..
      Awesome, I'm heading up there this weekend in fact. It's odd June Mtn closes this weekend I don't see how conditions could be bad it must be a can't compete with mammoth so they run a short season. Haven't skiied there but I know the area in general is quite nice.

Hoping to maybe get in a day on the slopes and a run down McGee which I haven't been on before.

Now if I can just force myself to pry off the hagans and put more time on the condors hehe.

Comment

Some of the ski areas around me are on national forest land and have a required closing date, regardless of snow conditions. It's possible that that could be the case for June too.
        I do it because I can.
        I can because I want to.
        I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
        '08 KTPs

Comment

I wish we'd have lift service until July. Next week is closing, but I have a feeling I'll probably just go and hike a few runs after.
          2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

Holy guacamole, July 4th? Who do they think they are, A-Basin? That's amazing, I hope all that can, get out there and enjoy such a long season. I'll trade locals with anyone that is closer to either mountain!
            If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.

Independent Beachbody Coach
            www.GetFitnessFast.com
            www.FastFitShake.com
            www.facebook.com/CoachHeidiG

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
            '07 BWP's
            2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
            Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

Comment

I just got back this morning having spent last night in Truckee. Mammoth is a fabulous place. If you haven't been there, you have got to go. We rode June for a half day Friday and Mammoth on Sat and Sunday. June was soft spring snow. It's a small mountain owned by Mammoth about 30 minutes away from Mammoth. Mammoth was all firm with wind blown pockets of soft, but not deep snow. I was there with 5 skiers all of which used to race. Two of them were racing. This was the final race weekend for the Far West Ski Association. I took my Hagans and Custom Lacroix for this trip. I used the Lacroixs at June and on Sunday. I skied the Hagans on Sat. I wanted to ski the Lacroixs because I've used them only 1 day this year. At June, the Lacroixs were fun to ski on the soft spring snow. They were definitely slower than my friend's long skis even with a fresh hot wax. At Mammoth, on the hard snow, they had very good edge control and speed, but I really missed the shock absorbtion of my Sherpa or Spruce 120. This made me ski slower when it wasn't silky smooth. The Hagan was as always my trusty short ski. I skied it 5.5cm forward of the recommended boot center. Under chair 14 which had the only soft spring snow on Sat, I was having a good time in snow the skiers did not enjoy at all. I realized this weekend that I don't like trying to keep up with my long skier friends. I am just not that comfortable skiing as fast as either the Lacroix or Hagans will go. This is just me though, as I had the same problem at Shredfest trying to stay with Valmorel when he was trying Fightingforair's the condors.

Wendell
              Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
              Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
              Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
              History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Originally posted by wjeong View Post
                I just got back this morning having spent last night in Truckee.
                Wendell
                Hey Wendell , you being a retired guy and all , why didn't you just stay up in Truckee and ride all the fresh pow today ??? .. we were up in tahoe yesterday in the backcountry and just dying because the storm was coming in and dumping and we were bummed we had to go home to work and just couldn't stay up there for the fresh , .. !!
                Boards :
                Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                Boots
                K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                Bindings:
                Zero Pro Non release Binding
                Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                  Hey Wendell , you being a retired guy and all , why didn't you just stay up in Truckee and ride all the fresh pow today ??? .. we were up in tahoe yesterday in the backcountry and just dying because the storm was coming in and dumping and we were bummed we had to go home to work and just couldn't stay up there for the fresh , .. !!
                  Jack,

Unfortunately, Libby and Neal had to go to work today. Today would have been a fabulous powder day. So we hit the road at 6am. One thing about retiring at my age.... most of my friends are still working.

Wendell
                  Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                  Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                  Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                  History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Working...
                  X