Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"It Doesn't Suck Too Much" - Another Backcountry trip report and gear review ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It Doesn't Suck Too Much" - Another Backcountry trip report and gear review ..

Hey Valmorel .. here I am behind a tree ... !

I had a great time introducing Valmorel to riding the pow in the trees here in Tahoe over the last two Shredfests but today I will be climbing and riding in terrain more familiar to Valmorel from his trips to the Alps... not many trees where we will be going today .. Spring has sprung in the Tahoe Sierras and it is time to get out to get some of that firm spring snow .. We like it steep .. but to get to the goods Michael and I need serious heavy metal gear ski crampons , heel elevators up , solid equipment that will not let us down ... Billy , on the other hand , is a man from another planet .. he needs no heavy metal and has weird traction on his skis ... Micheal and I do not quite understand what gives with him but it is pretty magic how he climbs up the steep icy stuff ......

Here is the gear review ... today my Fail Tilt Booters , Zero binding , touring telemark cables , and crampons and most of all my Condors DID NOT SUCK !

I forgot to zip up my pants and my wallet fell out ... Micheal thought it was a miracle that twentys were blowing down wind on the slopes...
    Billy found all my credit cards and my drivers license although the wallet was never found ... .that DID NOT SUCK !

In fact in Billy summed up the whole day " It doesn't Suck too much !"

Michael - the skier in the video .on Icelantic Scouts 143 cm skis with Fritschi bindings .. Micheal attended Shredfest and has learned from Wendell and often carries poles in one hand

Billy - the guy behind the camera , telemark skier on Hagan 130's , human spider man , no heavy metal for him , skis like the fiend he is .....

Jack - Skiboarder .... yeah I have a pole in one hand on the video ... that pole has a mean ice ax on the tip of it ... if I fall that ice ax is going into the snow to stop me from sliding ...... I did not fall , I did not slide down the slope , I made it to the launch pad under the Finger of death , I came down in one piece ... THAT DOES NOT SUCK !

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

OK.............. tough climb but nice snow to play on. Great shots too. Thanks Guys.
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Comment

Part 2 Castle Peak Redux in powder !!!

Rare day off today , none of my buddies can join me ... new snow yesterday and last night ... so off to Castle for another March pow day !

Morning on the trail

Nice view of our destination ... Castle Peak . this time I am going for the summit .. with an ambitous plan to drop down to Round Valley ,visit the Peter Grubb hut and then head on over to Andesite Peak , climb that peak and drop the trees back to the trail .... hope my legs hold up !!!!

A couple of hours on the trail finds me on the ridge line toward the Summit of Castle ..

Close to the summit the ascent is techinical and much steeper then it looks in this picture .. icy and windblown , crampon country ...

I shot a video on the Summit which I will show at the end ...

Nice open pow slope to descend and then into the trees all the way down to Round Valley maybe 8 inches of pow .. my Condors do not find bottom and are floating all the way except at the very top which is windblown ... this has to be one of the finest descents I have made all year .. pure magic , smoth as silk and fast , great line all the way down !

Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Lunch !

After that magical descent .. it is time for lunch and a little nap in beautiful round valley !

I shot a panorama vid of round valley ... that is coming up !

Damn , the only thing that would make this perfect is a beer ! Wendell where are you when I need you .. you always carry a cold one in your pack ...
        oh well , can't have everything , can you ???

put my skins back on my Condors and toured over to the Peter Grubb Hut a nice backcountry hut run by the Sierra Club ... you can reserve it for overnight stays ... I find two guys and their girl friends there , they have spent the night and skied Castle this morning .. and the guys are headed out to do it again ... ... here is the hut

Here are the gals and one of the guys lounging about in the nice front patio !!!

They kindly shot a pic of yours truly ....

Now , wonder of wonders these folks had hauled a keg 3miles in up and over the ridge and down into the valley .. said keg was sitting in snow and the beer was cold ! they kindly offered me a drink ... I donated a couple of bucks and filled my thermos with ice cold beer .. SWEET !!!!!!!!

Boards :
        Boots
        Bindings:

Comment

On to Andesite

Last view of Round Valley and Castle peak

Up the snowshoe trail back up the ridge surrounding Round valley and back toward Andesite peak

up on the ridge toward Andesite I see the back side runs of Northstar .. miles away in distance and in spirit to the day I have today

Up on Andesite I see a couple of other guys ... another solo backcountry guy like me ...

And up on the steep slopes of Andesite one of the pro avalanche forecasters digging a pit and making observations to share with us backcountry types on the central sierra avalanche advisory web site . .. keeping all of us safe !

right on !

Ok time to drop the last pow slope of the day off Andesite .. ! very nice !!
          Today DID NOT SUCK either !

Here is a little vid that shows the summit launch pad , a little panorama of Round valley ,and a shaky POV vid descending the pow slope of Andesite ...

Boards :
          Boots
          Bindings:

Comment

great stuff Jack! thanks for sharing and rubbing i our great spring consitions! I love california!
            .. it's just me, shelley again!
            Got Sand?
            Got Snow?
            Got Nascar?
            Got Mud?
            Got Dirt?
            Got Pavement?
            Ya Got Speed!
            Get Left Baby!

'04 Fischer Web XXL with Bomber Elite II
            '08 KTP's with Zero's
            '09 Spruce 120 with some kind of release binding!

Comment

Man, every time I see your posts, it makes me want to go out and get all the stuff I'd need to do some backcountry myself.
              2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

Wow Jack. Excellent day you had. Thanks for sharing.
                sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Great pics and video. Thanks for sharing.
                  favorite setup: Blunts with SBOL modified Snowjam 540 bindings

Comment

jjue,

Fabulous stuff. Damn, that first run you showed was steeeep. You just dropped off and disappeared. Plus, you looked great. Good for you. I have to say you worry me a bit with doing back country alone. Be careful. But, I also have to say I love how you always bring us some wild, new tool you've cobbled together and are checking out. Like those things in your hands. Outrageous. You crazy kid.
                    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Jack- great pics & story. A good reminder of what a big beautiful world we live in. Thanks- marianne

Comment

Greetings from Cali !

I know some folks have already hung up the skiboards for the season .. but we in California have an embarassment of riches this year ....
                        I got out today to try to find the remanents of the last snowstorm 4 days ago before I have to work this afternoon , , here are a few pics ...

Trail head sign which is usually on top of the snow is still in the snow ...

New snow .. and Castle peak between the trees .

On the trail to the summit

Lots of nice untouched snow !

Summit of Andesite Peak looking toward Castle peak

Some pow turns

Boards :
                        Boots
                        Bindings:

Comment

Oh MAN!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Crossbow (go to dream board)
                          Most everything else over time.
                          Go Android

Comment

Working...
                          X