Another noob...hooked on skiboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another noob...hooked on skiboards

I tried skiing long skis 5 years ago and wrapped around a tree pretty good. I figured I wouldn't give snow sports another chance until last year, while my kids snowboard, I saw a lady on skiboards. I asked her about them, 'cause it looked so much more fun than skiing. I researched a bit and told my husband about them. Well, he bought me skiboards for Mother's Day last year (he was eager for me to join the family on the mountain).

I thought purchasing them might be a little premature in case I didn't like them...well...he must have known something I didn't because after the first time out, I knew I would be hooked.

Hubby and all the kids have passes, but we didn't buy me an annual pass this year because we didn't know if I would get my money's worth out of it. We should've bought one because I find every excuse I can to go to the mountain! (Durango Mountain, CO)

Last week we went to Utah (The Canyons and Sundance). This is my first season and I am comfortable on any blue and even went down a black! I went into the terrain park and took a couple of jumps. I am way excited about this sport and my husband loves that we can all go together now.

BTW, I have to add that I am 42 years old and I have 7 children...the reason I add that is 'cause I think it helps illustrate that ANYONE can have fun on these things! Durango Mountain just extended their season!!! WOOHOOO!!!

Ah, welcome to this wonderful sport! Having only been once, I just got back last week, I'm hooked too! What I wouldn't give to have access to a mountain all year, you'd have to pry me off the mountain. I couldn't get enough. We went to Tahoe for a week, 5 days on the mountain. And every day was open to close. Enjoy your access to a mountain, I am jealous! Welcome to this wonderful forum, it helped make my first trip a true success. There is always someone willing to help and send you encouragement! Skiboarding women unite!
    If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.

Independent Beachbody Coach
    www.GetFitnessFast.com
    www.FastFitShake.com
    www.facebook.com/CoachHeidiG

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
    '07 BWP's
    2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
    Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

Comment

Awesome!

Welcome to your new addiction!

Comment

Great to hear that your experience was so positive with skiboards.

Spread the word!
        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

And people laughed at me when I said "Where are all the women on this forum?" I'm glad all the ladies are letting themselves be known!!!
          '11 DLP
          '10 Condor / Black Zero Pro
          '10 KTP
          Journey boards and bindings
          '09 Tansho / FF-CAMS (GF's)
          Line Five-O (GF's)
          Groove AF1 / Groove cheapy's
          and not to forget my beloved first boards... Crazy Blades!!!!
          A big ass PA system, so lets throw a f*cking party!
          www.f1rstclasscitizen.com

Full Tilt - First Chair

Comment

Great to hear about another two converts. Welcome to the club.
            favorite setup: Blunts with SBOL modified Snowjam 540 bindings

Comment

So why don't more people do this? When I was at the canyons, I only saw about 4 others on skiboards the whole time I was there. What gives? Since I didn't really give skiing much of a chance, I don't have the experience to compare, but from reading this forum, it seems as if most of you are full converts from skis or snowboards to skiboards. Are we trying to keep this underground?

Comment

Originally posted by mamaanona7 View Post
                So why don't more people do this? ................. Are we trying to keep this underground?
                There are probably many reasons for others not participating in skiboarding, but it definitely is NOT underground! So go out and share your positive experience with everyone you meet. The more in our skiboarding community, the better.
                sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

People just don't know about them. I can't remember how I stumbled upon skiboards, but I think I just happened upon it by coincidence. In my quest of learning everything I could about snow sports, I believe I remembered hearing someone talk about short twin-tips. That led me to google searching short skis. It would be wonderful if more people were aware of skiboarding.

The quick learning curve would help a LOT of people get into snow sports. I think resorts would be doing themselves a favor by offering them for rent. I know a few people that had horrible first-time ski experiences that they don't want to give any other snow sport a try. Even though my first snow experience was on a snowboard and I did enjoy that, I never felt really comfortable on it. On skiboards, I felt like a pro after my first day. I was going down runs you couldn't have PAID me to try on a snowboard. What I like the best is that YOU are in control of the equipment, not the other way around. You can keep them as novice or as expert as you'd like. They're good for green groomers and they're great in the park and moguls. Nobody here is trying to steer anyone out of their traditional skis or snowboards. Skiboarding is just another great snow sport.

So, spread the word, I'm already working on a close friend of mine. She would LOVE to try skiboarding the next time she's near a snow covered mountain.

www.GetFitnessFast.com
                  www.FastFitShake.com

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
                  '07 BWP's
                  2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
                  Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

Comment

Snowblades when I was a kid that we won from the resort have been with me since 2000. I just switched to skiboards this year! I've always loved the shorties.

Comment

From my viewpoint... Its coming back in a very big way. Escpecially with Revel 8 boards! They are different than every other board on the market. They have the design and attitude that make people want to try them. Get ready to be the ones saying "I was riding them back when they weren't cool"!!!
                      '11 DLP
                      '10 Condor / Black Zero Pro
                      '10 KTP
                      Journey boards and bindings
                      '09 Tansho / FF-CAMS (GF's)
                      Line Five-O (GF's)
                      Groove AF1 / Groove cheapy's
                      and not to forget my beloved first boards... Crazy Blades!!!!
                      A big ass PA system, so lets throw a f*cking party!
                      www.f1rstclasscitizen.com

Full Tilt - First Chair

Comment

Originally posted by xxxander View Post
                        Get ready to be the ones saying "I was riding them back when they weren't cool"!!!
                        As far as I'm concerned, they were ALWAYS cool. I don't like it when people pass judgment on something they've never tried. I thought I'd be a die hard snowboarder, but I'm so glad I tried something "new". My husband is a snowboarder and he has no desire to try anything else. Though I think before too long, I'll get him on a pair of skiboards. I know he'll be good at it, and he'll have some fun on them.

Doing what you love makes it cool!

www.GetFitnessFast.com
                        www.FastFitShake.com

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
                        '07 BWP's
                        2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
                        Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

Comment

The sport is definitely growing. I see more people on skiboards and short skis each season. The ease of use is definitely a big factor. Christmas 2008 I introduced my parents and two sisters to skiboarding. My parents are 52, and my mom had never done any kind of snowsliding in her life. She had a blast and couldn't wait to get out again this season. She's not the fastest down the trails, but she has fun and that's all that matters to me.
                          RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Working...
                          X