No announcement yet.

Shredfest Backcountry Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, I may have to spread out some of these purchases thru the summer to avoid Maria noticing.

Thanks for the ski pole length criteria.

Your thoughts on screw/twist verses lever type poles? Maria's twist can be a pain sometimes if overtightened.
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post

Your thoughts on screw/twist verses lever type poles? Maria's twist can be a pain sometimes if overtightened.
      i like the lever type much better... i use black diamond trekking poles that have the lever lock system ... it is much more secure and reliable to use IMHO then the twist types . .
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

I noticed some "push button" style poles as well. I suspect they would not feel as rigid. Thoughts on those Jack?
        sigpic

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Comment

I noticed some "push button" style poles as well. I suspect they would not feel as rigid. Thoughts on those Jack?
          Don't know slow ... never used them... ...
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Do I remember this right, didn't I read about one of the guys at the backcountry day using a single stick or staff of some sort as opposed to poles?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
              Do I remember this right, didn't I read about one of the guys at the backcountry day using a single stick or staff of some sort as opposed to poles?

Bill , that was a guy , Micheal , at Mt rose , that Wendell , Craig , Dave Stevens and I met , who was on Snowjam 120's and using a single wooden branch as a pole or staff, Wendell and Craig met up with him again at Sierra at tahoe .. he was not on the backcountry trip ..
              Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

Jack,
                Did everyone who participated in the backcountry days have becons and/or other av safety equipment?
                sigpic

Comment

Jack,
                  Did everyone who participated in the backcountry days have becons and/or other av safety equipment?
                  no , i only had a few beacons to go around ... and they are expensive , and renting is a hassel .. michael and i carried shovels , we selected non avalanche prone slopes . so avalanche risk even with the new snow was very low...
                  Boards :
                  Boots
                  Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                    no , i only had a few beacons to go around ... and they are expensive , and renting is a hassel .. michael and i carried shovels , we selected non avalanche prone slopes . so avalanche risk even with the new snow was very low...
                    It looked like FFA had a beacon in one of the pictures. I was curious.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                      i like the lever type much better... i use black diamond trekking poles that have the lever lock system ... it is much more secure and reliable to use IMHO then the twist types . .
                      I second the lever type. I have black diamond flicklock collapsible poles. They are much more reliable than the twist kind - nothing worse than a pole that won't lock when you actually need it.
                      favorite setup: Blunts with SBOL modified Snowjam 540 bindings

Comment

Originally posted by cmbruin View Post
                        I second the lever type. I have black diamond flicklock collapsible poles. They are much more reliable than the twist kind - nothing worse than a pole that won't lock when you actually need it.
                        My local Mountain Equipment Coop has the Black Diamond Expeditions (3 pc) for $72 with flip locks. But I will now have to wait until fall for them to pull them out of storage.
                        sigpic

Comment

My local Mountain Equipment Coop has the Black Diamond Expeditions (3 pc) for $72 with flip locks. But I will now have to wait until fall for them to pull them out of storage.
                          That's what I have (older model). I've had them for 2-3 seasons and they work great! Easy to lock and unlock with gloves on and very reliable.

That's a good price, but it's no fun to have to wait to get new stuff.
                          favorite setup: Blunts with SBOL modified Snowjam 540 bindings

Comment

Jack ... I think you should compile your backcountry essentials into a sticky ...

*** .... edited out because I am a moron who can't read. ***
                            Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
                            Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
                            Full Tilt Boots
                            Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

Originally posted by FightingForAir View Post
                              Jack ... I think you should compile your backcountry essentials into a sticky for a one stop shop for resources for backcountry setups. Like the links and info for skins, different ascent and binding options, behavior of the various boards you've tried on various conditions, safety, etc.

You've done so much of this and have experimented so much ... would be good to get the essentials all down in a sticky in the gear section, yeah?
                              hey rob , greco has already put up a sticky here ...

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=9458

if you have additional questions . put them up there .. and i will try to answer....
                              Boards :
                              Boots
                              Bindings:

Comment

Thanks ... yeah ... cannot believe I missed that.

Sorry.
                                Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
                                Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
                                Full Tilt Boots
                                Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

Working...
                                X