Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Up!

Okay, so I have an issue...

When you fall on skiboards, what is the best way to get up again??

When I was on Salomon's 10 years ago, I guess I was in better shape or something, because it never seemed to be an issue. When I fell, I could always somehow prop myself up. I don't remember how I did it, but I obviously did.

This weekend, when kiting, I fell on my R8 Rumspringas, and I for the life of me could not get up again without taking them off, or my instructor pulling me up, which is embarassing. I'd like (even LOVE) to think that I'm just doing something wrong. Basically while fallen, I get my boards parallel on their sides, and then try and push myself up with one arm. But then what happens is my boards launch forwards from under me, and I end up on the ground again.

I also tried training my wife this weekend on her first-ever green hill (with Elan 99's) and when she fell, the same thing happened, and I didn't really know how to tell her to get up, because what I try wasn't working for her either.

I'm considering investing in ski poles, and only carrying 1 with me, strapped to my back, Donatello-style

Any advice???

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
       Revel8 2010 Revolt "Bullseye" 105cm
       Revel8 2009 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
       Revel8 2009 Tansho 90cm (BriGirl's)
    Bindings
       Spruce 2011 Pro Jr Risers & Head Release Bindings
       Spruce 2010 Pro Lite Risers & Roxy Release Bindings (BriGirl's)
    Other
       Salomon 2009 Mission x4 boots
       Sims T22 Omen helmet

I usually make sure that my boards are perpendicular to the slope and then push myself up that way. I usually make sure that my edges have a bit of hold in the snow before I do this.

I'm not sure how well this technique would work for kite skiing, but it works on the hill because you're sort of lying with your body heading up the hill, so it's less distance to propel your body through.

Comment

One of the things I notice is people don't seem to get forward enough when they try and get up. You need to get your chest over your knees and your push off hand needs to be as forward as possible.

Comment

@dis: A slope definitely helps The irony is that if you're learning on a green hill, the slope usually isn't that steep (hence more difficult). On a flat terrain, it's even more difficult.

@rgzip: Thanks for the video! The "forward over your knees" advice is helpful. I will try that next time, and maybe even try to plant my boards deeper into the snow before I attempt to get up.

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
        Bindings
        Other
           Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

Originally posted by bri_guy View Post
          @dis: A slope definitely helps The irony is that if you're learning on a green hill, the slope usually isn't that steep (hence more difficult). On a flat terrain, it's even more difficult.

@rgzip: Thanks for the video! The "forward over your knees" advice is helpful. I will try that next time, and maybe even try to plant my boards deeper into the snow before I attempt to get up.
          If for some reason you can't get up like that just do some crunches. I have tons of kids in lessons that can't do that and it's because they are out of shape. I'm not saying you are out of shape I'm just saying try it.
          Revel8 ALPdors
          Gold Revel8 Receptors
          Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
          ____
          Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
          If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

It also helps if you're prepared to get up and start sliding again in one motion. It's next to impossible to get up and stay stationary, especially if you're on a steeper angle. Getting up and going quickly takes some of the pressure off your core (legs, trunk, etc) from having to get up and get perfectly balanced and static quickly. I find that if I must stop (eg waiting for someone else) from being down my best bet is to get up, ski down a little bit to a flatter spot, then stop.
            2008 Revolt "Trees" with Blue Groove X1's
            2007 BWPs with Line FreeFlex

"It isn't for the moment you are struck that you need courage, but for the long up hill battle to faith, sanity and security." - Anne Lindbergh

Comment

I have more of a problem sometimes stopping suddenly in a crowded/narrow lift line. any words of wisdom?

----
              Revel8 ALPs
              Bomber Elites
              Salomon Foil Boots

Comment

Dig - There's very little you can do about that. If it's so crowded that you can't "pizza" your skis and it's icy then just try not to hurt anyone. If I'm there with my friend that uses regular skis a lot of times I'll use one of his poles.

"It isn't for the moment you are struck that you need courage, but for the long up hill battle to faith, sanity and security." - Anne Lindbergh

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.

@dig: I usually don't skate in lift lines. I just walk forward in small steps. That way you don't slide.

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
                  Bindings
                  Other
                     Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyRingo84 View Post
                    Dig - There's very little you can do about that. If it's so crowded that you can't "pizza" your skis and it's icy then just try not to hurt anyone. If I'm there with my friend that uses regular skis a lot of times I'll use one of his poles.
                    i do the same thing if im with my buddy that skis. he laughs at me but it definitely helps out. it depends on the lift but sometimes they are on a slight angle and stepping just doesnt work. ive run into the backs of people a couple times...

----
                    Revel8 ALPs
                    Bomber Elites
                    Salomon Foil Boots

Comment

If your using release bindings, you can pop one board off until you get to the front. I see a lot of poleless twin tippers doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by rgzip View Post
                        If your using release bindings, you can pop one board off until you get to the front. I see a lot of poleless twin tippers doing this.
                        i could see that but i wear bombers.

----
                        Revel8 ALPs
                        Bomber Elites
                        Salomon Foil Boots

Comment

@bri_guy Another thing you can try when you are on a flat area. is using the same technique as described above except spread your legs farther apart so that one is farther down the hill, this will help you have a wider and lower stance enabling you to shift your weight up and on top of your boards easier.
                          '11 DLP
                          '10 Condor / Black Zero Pro
                          '10 KTP
                          Journey boards and bindings
                          '09 Tansho / FF-CAMS (GF's)
                          Line Five-O (GF's)
                          Groove AF1 / Groove cheapy's
                          and not to forget my beloved first boards... Crazy Blades!!!!
                          A big ass PA system, so lets throw a f*cking party!
                          www.f1rstclasscitizen.com

Full Tilt - First Chair

Comment

When I fall, I usually try to not stop and just catch my edges as if I were in a deep carve and continue down the hill. If I am stopped though, spreading your legs to a wider stance and getting forward are really the big things, of course being perpendicular to the hill is helpful.
                            In the lift lines I try to use cross-crountry style technique if there is not the space to skate forward. When the chair comes I usually let the people beside me get a little ahead so I can get a good skate-style push to slide up quickly.

Comment

i do the same thing if im with my buddy that skis. he laughs at me but it definitely helps out. it depends on the lift but sometimes they are on a slight angle and stepping just doesnt work. ive run into the backs of people a couple times...
                              For some reason that always happens to me on the high speed quad at Whitetail. I don't know if the lift lines just get icy quickly or the lines are skinnier than others or what, but every time I go there I have issues at that lift.

Comment

Working...
                              X