08 Summit Nomads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 08 Summit Nomads

Okay guys, I have had these babies for 5 or 6 months now and today they saw their first time on the snow. And it wasn't just snow it was powder. Okay, okay, maybe they saw snow but they didn't see the mountains or hill in my case but I wanted to get this thread set up for the first day that they do ride Boston Mills and Brandywine. Last night a storm brought 3 inches of soft powder to a man that earlier that day received his new pro junior risers and look bindings so I will give all of the thanks to Jeff Singer of Spruce Skiboards for the delivery of his great looking and feeling product and the snow so I could "test" them. Winter is defiantly in the air...I have the one smell in my nostrals that I long to have all year round and that is the smell of wet ski wax on the bases of my boards.

Okay to my history. Last year I rode Rossignol Cut Stage 3 120s all year and my biggest complaint with them was that because they were set back they felt unbalanced and I was uncomfortable doing even flat land 180s. When I would get down the hill I would have to skate which, also due to the set back, was somewhat difficult. I also had to ride them with a skiing stance, I don't know how to explain it but it was just much different from what I did today. This is not a bad thing, it was just a bit different from my background of rec inline skating that I started when I was 5 or 6. I am in no way saying that the short skis are bad, just different.

here is my pre-actual day review. I did take these out today and skated around with them. I didn't have any actual incline so I couldn't try to carve or bomb to see how the stability felt but I did do some 180s and 270s off of things just to get some feeling for the balance and I have to say if these thing preform in the park the same way that they did on flat land I will never take my rossis into the park again. They felt so natural, on my first try I was able to 180 ride fakie for a few feet and skate backwards. They actually made me feel like I was inlining, just a bit wider and more stable to land.

Conclusion of pre-actual day:
    These things feel great and the appearance isn't anything to scoff at either I am reserving two of these spaces, one for first day and one for Jayy or if I can't make it there for New York.

Photobucket

This is a teaser...I hope it teased you.
    Revel8 ALPdors
    Gold Revel8 Receptors
    Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
    ____
    Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
    If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Okay, here it is. The long awaited review has now entered the building. Yesterday, 12/12/08 was my first day out for the 2008-2009 season. I got out having only ever ridden short skis and before that a snowboard. I have to say this is the most impressive set of planks that I have ever put on my feet. In this review I will discuss general ride, jumps, and rails.
    General Riding
    I arrived at Boston Mills at 4:30pm and got my gear on in the parking lot just so I could get to the slopes a bit faster. Got thought the line to get my pass, relieved myself, and walked out onto the snow for possibly the most life changing day of my life. I put on my boards and skated, quite easily I might add, to the closest available lift I could see. The skating was something I had already tested out in my yard so I knew it would be easy on the slopes. I got on the lift and rode to the top anxiously awaiting my arrival at the top. When I got off of the lift I tried some basic turns just to get the feel of the board's edges. I then took a bit of time in the same run to try some ground spins which were really easy on my rossignol 120 short skis. Ground spins are much different on wide boards than on narrow skis so it took me a few trys to get it all the way around comfortably. I took the rest of the run testing the feel at speed. I bombed the blue hill from half way up to the bottom easily and at no point felt like I was out of control. I was even able to skate at times to build up even more speed to just get the feel and I still didn't feel like I was a danger to myself or anyone else.
    Run two, I have ridden back up and have decided to test to see how easily I could carve at speed, as it turns out, the width actually makes it quite easy to get on edge, so much so that I was laying out carves touching the ground without exerting any effort at all. I did the same run for a few more times just to make sure that I had the feel for it and I moved on to the park.
    Jumps
    I spent most of the day after the initial test runs working on my rail skills in the park. But before I even tried one rail I made sure to test the feel of jumping. I have to say, again like ground spins, the feeling of jumping is different on wide boards than on skis. I will say this though, before you get the idea that I am saying this feel is better on skiboards than on skis, I am not. I am just saying that they are different. I had a bit of a problem at first just landing straight up because of the size of the jumps being so small and my deciding that doing a safety grab was the best idea to stay stable in air when in all reality it would have been best just to jump and land at first. When I did get it there was nothing noticeably different about landing on skiboards than on skis. There was a mound of snow that people were using like a quarter pipe off to the side of the trail that I decided to try and 180 on. Landing fakie was definitely much easier on twin tipped skiboards than on non twined short skis. Next was the rails.
    Rails
    This was the first day that I have ever done a rail sideways and landed it, sorry Mark no footy but I assure you it happened. The first rail I tried was a basic down T rail. This was probably not the best idea for trying rails on my new boards but Graham (gracker) pressured me into doing it. I thank him for doing that, and you all see that I did thank him. If not for him I don't think that I would have done it all during the day. I did a try on it and fell after taking a jump off the kicker just to see how it would feel. After I had hiked and tried again I just rode down to the bottom of the hill and rode the lift back up to try the down rail again and then try the other T rail they had setup which was a flat T rail. The flat T rail is where I found out what I was doing wrong. After two more tries I was able to complete the full 8 feet of the rail. And went the rest of the rail not falling on the rail itself but on the landing, if I did fall at all.
    Conclusion
    Over all I would have to say that these things are the best pieces of gear I have ever put on my feet and I am ready to work on throwing some real tricks when the parks are really set up and ready to go. I am also ready to get out and do some real glade skiing as soon as possible. I am really surprised at how amazingly I was able to preform on my first day out just because of the extra confidence that I got from having wider boards on my feet. I would say that if you can get these as cheep as I did go ahead and pick some up. I give these things five stars on every thing I was able to test which happens to be everything but pow. So I guess that we will have to see what happens when I get a chance to do some of that...mmm hmm.
    Revel8 ALPdors
    Gold Revel8 Receptors
    Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
    ____
    If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Reserved for Jayy Jam or New York trip
      Revel8 ALPdors
      Gold Revel8 Receptors
      Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
      ____

Comment

*Update* first day review.
        Revel8 ALPdors
        Gold Revel8 Receptors
        Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
        ____

Comment

nice review , godofmedia, i am very happy you got a chance to get your hands on some performance skiboards and see the difference compared to the short skis , the first time on performance boards , is most defintely a life changing experience , for sure... have fun!!
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Zero Pro Non release Binding
          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

inane conversation... I love it! hilarious.

point made.
            Dave | Elevendy

Comment

Posted: http://www.skiboardreview.com/nomad.html
              Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

Working...
              X