'08 Summit Nomads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '08 Summit Nomads

Ok, I hope G will be the better man and not pull a Doc and delete this review. This review won't be loaded with a bunch of technical stuff. I've been skiboarding 9-10 years now, but have never caught on to a lot of the terminology and technical jarkin. I just strap on the boards and go. Here's my simple review:

This past week I got a chance to ride my new Nomads for the first time. There's been a lot of powder where I board this year, so I have been riding my 120s only. They are an almost effortless ride but do lack, to me anyway, that feeling of a true skiboard. I recently purchased two sets of sub 100cm boards, the Nomads and the Tanshos.

I was out two days on the slopes. On day one I broke out the Nomads first thing to give them a try. I only lasted 2 runs before switching to my 120s, this was really no fault of the Nomads. There was a good bit of loose powder on the slopes that day, and I just didn't want to try out the Nomads for the first time in those conditions. It had been a while since I'd been on anything that short, so I wasn't comfortable.

On day two I decided I was going to force myself to ride the Nomads all day long, so I only took them to the slopes with me. The conditions were much different from day one. It started out groomed hardpack (slick in spots), and by the afternoon became soft and slushy. The temp got close to 60 degrees and the sun was shining bright. I must say that I had an absolute freakin' blast on the Nomads. I have an enjoyable and fun time on my 120s, but the Nomads brought me back to the times when I lived in Minnesota only using sub 100cm boards. It took me a little while to get used to riding short boards again. I realized soon to have the boards perform like I wanted, I needed to push them harder. It was great to get back into a gorilla stance and carve these things tight back and forth down the slopes. I was riding fakie, doing flat 360 spins, and even hitting small jumps. All things I seldom ever feel comfortable with on my 120s.

The Nomads were stable at speed, performed very well in the crud, were super light on the feet. There were a few times I sunk into the slush and felt like I might face plant, but I don't think any other board would have performed better. And something else to mention is that these boards are simply gorgeous. Take a look at the attached pic. The Nomads look awesome with the FF Aluminums I mounted on them. When I received these boards I thought they were green and black, but you get them in sunlight and you learn the black is actually a dark blue. Very sharp!

Quite often I buy boards, use them once or twice, decide they aren't for me, and then turn around and sell them. I won't be doing this with the Nomads. They are keepers! Love, love, love them!!!

The Tanshos I've read great things about but haven't ridden yet. I have them up for sale right now. This could change because I'm very tempted to keep them after my wonderful experience with the Nomads.

Last edited by sempai; 03-03-2008, 12:53 PM.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Thanks Sempai, great review and thanks for putting up your review here as well as skiboards.com . My own feeling is that newbies have often got confused in the past when there have been no mention of Summit boards here or R8 boards on skiboards.com. This is a great start to my belief that this place can be a place that everyone can go and discuss all skiboard products ! We now have three great quality 99 choices, in the BWP, Lacroix 99 , and the Nomad 99 , it is nice that folks can see reviews of all these boards and here some discussion of differences.. Thanks again ! G , of course, is THE MAN , and welcomes all reviews and not just of his own products !
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

G is the man and it is awesome to see reviews of all boards open information is important for skiboarding, it is good to see alot of your longboard people are posting here now jjue its good to see all facets of skiboarding discussed.

Comment

Great review man! Love hearing about all kinds of boards from all points of view! I'd love it if you post the review at www.skiboardreview.com/submit I'll get it added to the site for lauch, which should be later this week!

Andrew
        Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

Good review. I keep getting tempted to go longer, but reviews like this are keeping me in the sub-100, at least til I find some conditions they can't handle too well.

Hm, all skiboards look better in photos/real life than website graphic. I didn't think much of any of the Summit graphics at first, but seeing photos has changed my mind, they are nice. This Nomad design is pretty classy.

Think I'll still be buying Revel8s til something else is available in UK though.
          Revel8 BWP - Spruce Pro Prime
          SnowJam 90 - Extreme II

Comment

Sub 100 all the way!!!

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

Just placed a bid on some
              Revel8 ALPdors
              Gold Revel8 Receptors
              Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
              ____
              Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
              If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Cool boards. Good luck with your bid :-)
                Crossbow (go to dream board)
                Most everything else over time.
                Go Android

Comment

YOu know where I can get some of those sweet line leashes?
                  Revel8 ALPdors
                  Gold Revel8 Receptors
                  Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                  ____
                  If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Originally posted by Godofmedia View Post
                    I have those leashes in yellow, and i have broken 5 of them already. They seem pretty durable, but have just snapped on me a bunch of times. I doubt they are made anymore, and the only way to get them would be with FFpros or FFcams...and i guess the only way to get those red ones would be with FF Aluminums or the Red FF Pros

Comment

Sub 100's... woo-hoo!!!!!

Still can't wait to see the specs of the new R8's!
                      C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Originally posted by Godofmedia View Post

friends don't let friends ride (strap style) leashes. just say NO.

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

I am making some of my own, theyare the spring-cable style and I am throwing in an extra boot colar. Don't ask questions, just wait and you will see.
                          Revel8 ALPdors
                          Gold Revel8 Receptors
                          Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                          ____

Comment

If you need clips and stuff, a good place to look for cheap bits is pet shops, coz they use them on dog leads :-)
                            Crossbow (go to dream board)
                            Most everything else over time.
                            Go Android

Comment

I am using pinch clips, the clips they use on the snowjam procoil leashes.
                              Revel8 ALPdors
                              Gold Revel8 Receptors
                              Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                              ____

Comment

Working...
                              X