DPS Phantom - Permanent Wax System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baldybob View Post
    One day this 73 year old Geezer will get north of the border and show you DPS Phantom - --but you shouldn't wait -- one time application in one hour and can do 2 pair of RVL8 Skiboards with one package.

Get those Playmakers Phantomed - -

I saw youtube videos of your mountain with world championships from the top by helicopter - -both snowboard and skis with men and women standing on a scary thin slice of snow with giant steeps and chutes. Pure powder jumps -- just amazing!!

Keep sharing videos and one day we will have a caravan driving to Kicking Horse for a Skiboard event!!!

https://youtu.be/djonu4nYcCM winning run at Kicking Horse FreeRide World Tour
    Did you see the winning run from this year? The scale of that pyramid in real life is just insanity. Snow conditions and coverage have been garbage this season, so those rocky sections would have been total shark pits. Sticking the landing on that back flip....? hooooboy.

I know a better areas of the resort to ride, though.

Would love to see a gathering up here sometime!
    BOARDSLAYER
    Base / Edge Destruction X X X
    Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Baldybob View Post
      Remember it works by UV so :

>>Apply on a clear sunny day with temps in the mid 70s or higher -- I left it 3 hours. <<

One pack did 1 RVL8 KTP and 1 RVL8 Rockered Condor
      That's exactly my plan for the same boards, managed to buy some DPS during the winter, have left the skiboards unwaxed at the end of the season, will do the clean-up before applying.

Regarding the UV and temps, would you guys say summer sun and higher temps (30+Celsius) would be better? Or rather do it late spring, +/-25 Celsius and err on the side of leaving them a bit longer in the sun ?
      Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
      Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
      Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Is it me or the new formula is inconspicuously "stealthy" ? As in at the end of the process it doesn't look like much happened? The boards are slightly shinier but not freshly-polished-wax shine. I guess it's normal but it leaves me a bit unsure of my application and the quantity applied - the liquid was very runny and some went over the edge of the boards, didn't noticed they were not laid perfectly flat.

For wide boards like RCs, I guess it's better to use a full box, isn't it ? At 110x16cm it's quite close to the surface area of a 1.8m ski ...
        Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
        Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
        Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2011 View Post
          Is it me or the new formula is inconspicuously "stealthy" ? As in at the end of the process it doesn't look like much happened? The boards are slightly shinier but not freshly-polished-wax shine. I guess it's normal but it leaves me a bit unsure of my application and the quantity applied - the liquid was very runny and some went over the edge of the boards, didn't noticed they were not laid perfectly flat.

For wide boards like RCs, I guess it's better to use a full box, isn't it ? At 110x16cm it's quite close to the surface area of a 1.8m ski ...
          this was my exact experience with the new DPS. there was no shine at all and I actually called DPS and spoke to their lead brand manager and lead engineer in regards to this. They were both very nice and explained completely that the properties of their wax system fully bond and cure into the base. They also explained that their system does bond onto wax so if you wanted the shiny look you could wax over it or even just take a green pad and wipe the wax with it and use it as a buffer pad. so how you buff your skis after you wax with a pad, just use that from time to time to keep up the shine.

I used mine with both the buffed bottom phantom and the regular bottom phantom and did not notice a difference either way.
          Skis/Skiboards:
          2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
          2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
          2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
          2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
          20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
          2012 Salomon SPK 90
          2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
          2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Originally posted by mvhoffman View Post

this was my exact experience with the new DPS. there was no shine at all and I actually called DPS and spoke to their lead brand manager and lead engineer in regards to this. They were both very nice and explained completely that the properties of their wax system fully bond and cure into the base. They also explained that their system does bond onto wax so if you wanted the shiny look you could wax over it or even just take a green pad and wipe the wax with it and use it as a buffer pad. so how you buff your skis after you wax with a pad, just use that from time to time to keep up the shine.

I used mine with both the buffed bottom phantom and the regular bottom phantom and did not notice a difference either way.
            That's reassuring, thank you ! During the curing process there were some clouds briefly passing by (a couple of minutes at the most a few times, after about 40 min of cure ) and I was wondering if it messed up the cure process. Not bothered by the lack of shine, I'll be occasionally applying some liquid wax on top and buff it appropriately if I'm in the mood to over do it

By the way, have you noticed any difference in result between black bases and multi-colored ones ? My first attempt was on Spruce 125 and afterwards they look like in the DPS demo, no shine but uniformly black bases. Today on RCs, KTPs and SII - all bases looked drier after using base cleaner - I found that first of all, they seemed to absorb more of the product (two DPS boxes for these 3 pairs), but despite that, at the end I could still see some small whitish spots, although I was careful to apply uniformly the Phantom thing. As if some places, bases are still kind of dry, which I don't really understand.

Worst case I could buy some more DPS and apply an extra layer to get rid of those dry spots, do you think there would be any problem with this ? I haven't read anything as to potential problems in using too much product, I'm rather worried that my bases did not get enough somehow ...

Comment

Looking closely at the bases, it looks to me they have a translucent layer at the top, in order to see-through the graphics underneath. It seems like this translucent layer keeps some whiteness in places, not really whiteness, it's rather it's own texture showing, and there was no significant change even after adding some thin (transparent) liquid wax. So I guess it's the way this layer behaves and there should be nothing to worry about.

Comment

Looking closely at the bases, it looks to me they have a translucent layer at the top, in order to see-through the graphics underneath. It seems like this translucent layer keeps some whiteness in places, not really whiteness, it's rather it's own texture showing, and there was no significant change even after adding some thin (transparent) liquid wax. So I guess it's the way this layer behaves and there should be nothing to worry about.
                so when talking to the guys at DPS they assured me many times by saying as long as it gets put on the bases, a half assed application(we were very informal) is still better than nothing. They pretty much guaranteed that the bases would be soaking it up with no issues at all. I only have it on black based bottoms. Such a great glide even in the lift line which is where the first formula had a hiccup. I was looking for a good deal on some because I have 2 possibly 3 pairs that I would like to put the treatment on.

Let me also recommend giga glide pro for a quick top dressing. one application lasts up to 10 ski days. I can verify it at least lasts 7 on man made snow. Great experience with them as well.
                Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                2012 Salomon SPK 90
                2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

so when talking to the guys at DPS they assured me many times by saying as long as it gets put on the bases, a half assed application(we were very informal) is still better than nothing. They pretty much guaranteed that the bases would be soaking it up with no issues at all. I only have it on black based bottoms. Such a great glide even in the lift line which is where the first formula had a hiccup. I was looking for a good deal on some because I have 2 possibly 3 pairs that I would like to put the treatment on.
                  On multi-colored bases it was hard to judge the proper quantity of product to apply, the visual feedback was misleading, the bases will soak as much as you put on them. In winter I got a good deal so was able to buy 3 boxes and apply on several boards, but I went 2 boxes for 3 boards because of their width and the concern of not applying too small a quantity of product.

Now looking forward to the winter to see how they behave

Comment

On multi-colored bases it was hard to judge the proper quantity of product to apply, the visual feedback was misleading, the bases will soak as much as you put on them. In winter I got a good deal so was able to buy 3 boxes and apply on several boards, but I went 2 boxes for 3 boards because of their width and the concern of not applying too small a quantity of product.

Now looking forward to the winter to see how they behave
                    Good for you on the deal. Last off season I was able to get a flash sale thing for $50. Unfortunately it was the last box in stock or I would have just bought a bunch of it. Hoping to find something over the summer.
                    Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                    2012 Salomon SPK 90
                    2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Good for you on the deal. Last off season I was able to get a flash sale thing for $50. Unfortunately it was the last box in stock or I would have just bought a bunch of it. Hoping to find something over the summer.
                      Here it was like 60 bucks, still a very good price. What was unexpected is that the sale happened somewhere late Dec - beginning of Jan, I was rather expecting such discount to arrive at the end of the season, but now there's just no drop of it, no stock anywhere ...

Comment

Here it was like 60 bucks, still a very good price. What was unexpected is that the sale happened somewhere late Dec - beginning of Jan, I was rather expecting such discount to arrive at the end of the season, but now there's just no drop of it, no stock anywhere ...
                        I was thinking the same thing. I am still hoping that I am able to find some sort of deal because here in PA we usually have sufficient weather until mid to late October for a proper cure.
                        Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                        2012 Salomon SPK 90
                        2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

There's a seller on fleabay advertising he has 9 boxes of DPS Phantom. $80 +$13 Shipping from Colorado. I think I'll snag one while the snaggin's good.

Edit: I just asked the seller - Hello, do you combine orders for shipping? I'm interested in buying more than one box of DPS Phantom Wax and was wondering if the if the $13 shipping would cover 2 or 3 boxes of DPS. Thanks. Jeff

They replied - hey Jeff, it should be the same price unless ebay adds it more. Let me know if you see it on your end, we will respect the shipping price.

Edit 2: I snagged 2 boxes. This seller has an interesting ebay store.

Comment

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
                            There's a seller on fleabay advertising he has 9 boxes of DPS Phantom. $80 +$13 Shipping from Colorado. I think I'll snag one while the snaggin's good.
                            Still no traces of any stock in Europe and no telling when it might come up again...

Do DPS themselves have any stock ? on their website it looks like they have (at $99), not sure if it's a trick and it's actually on back-order, also not sure how much shipping would cost (or might even be free) to your location...

Comment

Ask fleabay seller element82sports if they ship to Europe? They seem to be pretty decent people.

Comment

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
                                Edit 2: I snagged 2 boxes. This seller has an interesting ebay store.
                                I was thinking the price becomes interesting from 2 boxes up, good for you !

They don't sell to Europe, and anyway lately VAT/taxes/shipping costs from US have increased, it discourages imports of almost any kind

For this winter I'm good for my usual boards, I could use a box or two for "sometimes" boards, but they can wait, so I'll keep an eye open for deals come winter

Comment

Working...
                                X