No announcement yet.

RVL8 Playmakers (vs Spliffs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm interested in trying Playmakers. But, I'm not sure how they would really fit into my quiver. My main boards the past few years have been Sherpa's. After saving my life a few times on steep ice, I absolutely love those things and will probably never get rid of them. But, at times I wish that deliberate turn radius wasn't so big. I've been on a quest to find a board that compliments the Sherpa's for a two board quiver. Something that doesn't have to be driven like the Sherpa Cadillacs, a bit more playful yet still has tons of edge hold. Most of my boards are longboards like 120's, 130's, and Ospry's. I've got a few shorter boards like Rockered Condors, but no KTP's or DLP's. The biggest problem is I live in the middle of a great corn desert, nowhere near a mountain and powder days are very rare. So my skiing days are pretty limited each year and I have to be selective on what to take. I know my question is like comparing apples & oranges. But, how would the Playmakers compare to longer boards like Osprey's and RC's? Would Playmakers make a good quiver compliment to Sherpa's for a slow gorilla stance Clydesdales skier through trees?

Any thoughts on using a riser/release, non-release or snowboard boot rig, on Playmakers? Would PM's be good lighter weight touring board option?

Comment

Hi Shortydude, I've spent alot of time on all the other boards you have as well as a lot of time this season on the Playmakers I find the Playmakers to be very much fun in soft snow which compensates for their stiffness but in firm snow , especially steep firm groomed snow I find them more work then other boards in my arsenal. They tend to wobble more then cambered long boards when carving and requiring more deliberate technique to get them working , ie lots of weight on one board , unweighting the other , make sure they are on edge etc. If you want a quiver board to complement your Sherpa . I would recommend the cambered version of the Condor . The current model has set back inserts . I ride them set back all the time and find the regular Condor very much a more manuverable version of the Sherpa with lots of prowness in deep snow and yet good on groomers as well and way more playful then Sherpas. The regular Condor is very different from the Rockered version you have which rides like an entirely different board . I find that the regular Condor on the set backs is just as good as the Rockered Condor in soft snow but more versatile , as being able to hold an edge and be fun carrving on groomers as well. Just my two cents .
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

ps. Shortydude , in answer to your other questions . I do think that if you want to carve the Playmaker in firm snow rather than slarving the board a hardboot set up either release or non release binding will probably give you better control then a snowboard boot soft boot binding set up . This is because of the stiffness and width of the boards . The Playmaker is an excellent touring skiboard and in fact is my favorite board to use in the backcountry . I use it with climbing skins and my custom Tech touring modification of the Receptor binding .
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

jjue, thanks for the insight. I hadn't thought of the regular Condors in a long time. I do have a set of black and white Blunts (from about 2014 or 15) they only have 4 inserts set rather close. I can't remember what bindings I used with them (may have been rental bindings). I enjoyed them at low speeds. At higher speeds (~ 60% speed) they seemed to disappear which was a bit un-nerving.

How does the current regular Condor chatter compare to the original Blunts at higher speeds.?

Comment

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
            jjue, thanks for the insight. I hadn't thought of the regular Condors in a long time. I do have a set of black and white Blunts (from about 2014 or 15) they only have 4 inserts set rather close. I can't remember what bindings I used with them (may have been rental bindings). I enjoyed them at low speeds. At higher speeds (~ 60% speed) they seemed to disappear which was a bit un-nerving.

How does the current regular Condor chatter compare to the original Blunts at higher speeds.?
            The Condors chatter much less at speed than the non cambered and much smaller blunts. The Camber and the soft flex helps dampen the wide bodied shorter ski board chatter.
            Boards :
            Boots
            Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
              Good point-by-point summary , mhealey.... I agree with you on pretty much all of it.
              Hey man, I sent you a PM!

Comment

Got it, and am responding! Sorry on the late reply... I internet 2 or 3 times a month.
                BOARDSLAYER
                Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post

The Condors chatter much less at speed than the non cambered and much smaller blunts. The Camber and the soft flex helps dampen the wide bodied shorter ski board chatter.
                  I just can't bond with the current Condor graphics. They look like they're possessed by a dark demonic force that I don't want any part of. If next years Condors come out with some kind of Faux wood veneer graphics, I'd grab a set of those, for sure.

Comment

Huh, hadn't looked at those graphics. Might look good on a Spliff. Suits my riding style.
                    BOARDSLAYER
                    Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                    Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
                    X