Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RVL8 soft boot binding.

Hey everyone,

So I have been toying with the idea of getting some of the RVL8 soft boot bindings for awhile now but I wanted to give it some time until more people had used them so I can get some feedback and opinions. So here are a some things I have been wondering about these bindings.

1. How stable are these at speed compared to hard boot and regular bindings?

2. How do these perform when hitting the occasional rail or box? Or not recommended at all?

3. How much forward lean do these allow when riding compared to being in hard boots and bindings? I can't have too much due to a tendon break.

4. I am an all mountain rider so how would these perform on a legit double black diamond to blazing through the trees in the back country and again a jaunt through the park?

Any experiences or feedback you guys can share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.
    Last edited by Greco; 11-09-2020, 04:36 PM.
    Live and ride like there's no tomorrow...because tomorrow might not be here for you.

Originally posted by PureVenom View Post
    Hey everyone,

So I have been toying with the idea of getting some of the RVL8 soft boot bindings for awhile now but I wanted to give it some time until more people had used them so I can get some feedback and opinions. So here are a some things I have been wondering about these bindings.

1. How stable are these at speed compared to hard boot and regular bindings?

2. How do these perform when hitting the occasional rail or box? Or not recommended at all?

3. How much forward lean do these allow when riding compared to being in hard boots and bindings? I can't have too much due to a tendon break.

4. I am an all mountain rider so how would these perform on a legit double black diamond to blazing through the trees in the back country and again a jaunt through the park?

Any experiences or feedback you guys can share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.
    Hi, I've been riding them for more years than I can remember.
    The thing that's different with softboot bindings is the connection, response and how they feel. They are definitely more comfortable but to get that comfort you have to give up the instantaneous response you get with hard boots. For me I've been able to get used to it and since they have the rigid Saavi wings and 3rd strap I still can carve as much as I want. I like to go really fast and carve hard and it's no problem I just had to get used to the different feel. To answer your questions:
    1) no problem with stability for me
    2) no issues hitting rails.
    3) this is an important question that most people don't think about. there is no restriction or limitation to forward lean. this took getting used to and now I really like it, i can change my edge angles just by bending my knees, leaning forward and rolling my ankles.
    4) I've taken them all over the hardest spots I can find, no issues. I'm "over the hill" for park but the team riders do prefer hard boots for the park.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

p.s. I changed Revel8 to RVL8 in your question as this is the correct name. (it was changed because of a conflict with another company)

Best,

Greco

Last edited by Greco; 11-10-2020, 09:08 AM.

Comment

The feel of softbooting is hard to describe (its amazing) but I think Greco explained it well. I switched 7 seasons ago, and spend most of my time ripping through trees and while there is no doubt skiboots plus a binding like the FF pro or Receptor is the most solid connection to the board, I haven't switched back. The softboot setup is highly customizable if three principles are followed. The boot is high on the flex rating. The third strap is winged, and the riser is solid. The missouri, receptor and ggo are all solid. I've found the missouri provides alot of leverage over the board and is lightweight while the ggo is a better platform for stompage. Also I like my toe strap to cup the boot backwards not press down from above.

My go to:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200115_114855.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	262601

The snowjam 540, the toe straps go downward on these, rode them for a couple of seasons hard, now my girlfriend uses them.

Name:	20200115_125433.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	262603
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post

Hi, I've been riding them for more years than I can remember.
        The thing that's different with softboot bindings is the connection, response and how they feel. They are definitely more comfortable but to get that comfort you have to give up the instantaneous response you get with hard boots. For me I've been able to get used to it and since they have the rigid Saavi wings and 3rd strap I still can carve as much as I want. I like to go really fast and carve hard and it's no problem I just had to get used to the different feel. To answer your questions:
        1) no problem with stability for me
        2) no issues hitting rails.
        3) this is an important question that most people don't think about. there is no restriction or limitation to forward lean. this took getting used to and now I really like it, i can change my edge angles just by bending my knees, leaning forward and rolling my ankles.
        4) I've taken them all over the hardest spots I can find, no issues. I'm "over the hill" for park but the team riders do prefer hard boots for the park.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

p.s. I changed Revel8 to RVL8 in your question as this is the correct name. (it was changed because of a conflict with another company)

Best,

Greco

Hey G,

Thanks for the response. I'm way over the hill...lol. That forward lean thing is the part that I was worried about. With my achilles tendon injury I have to have limited forward movement or it could snap again.
        Live and ride like there's no tomorrow...because tomorrow might not be here for you.

Comment

You're welcome. It might be possible to drill a hole through the heel cup and highback to make it fixed. Want me to try it?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by g.dub View Post
            The feel of softbooting is hard to describe (its amazing) but I think Greco explained it well. I switched 7 seasons ago, and spend most of my time ripping through trees and while there is no doubt skiboots plus a binding like the FF pro or Receptor is the most solid connection to the board, I haven't switched back. The softboot setup is highly customizable if three principles are followed. The boot is high on the flex rating. The third strap is winged, and the riser is solid. The missouri, receptor and ggo are all solid. I've found the missouri provides alot of leverage over the board and is lightweight while the ggo is a better platform for stompage. Also I like my toe strap to cup the boot backwards not press down from above.

My go to:

Name:	20200115_114855.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	262601

The snowjam 540, the toe straps go downward on these, rode them for a couple of seasons hard, now my girlfriend uses them.

Name:	20200115_125433.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	262603
            Thank you for your response g.dub.

My main concern has really always been the forward lean. I can't have a lot of forward movement due to my tendon injury. How much forward lean do the RVL8 bindings allow? Or do they lock in upright and therefore the boot stiffness comes into play?

Comment

You're welcome. It might be possible to drill a hole through the heel cup and highback to make it fixed. Want me to try it?

Yeah that would be awesome!! Thanks man. That might be the thing that gets it. Let me know if it works.

Comment

Yeah that would be awesome!! Thanks man. That might be the thing that gets it. Let me know if it works.
                Wow, that was easier than I thought. It's done and worked great. If you want I can do it to your new bindings if you order them and in the special instructions text field just let me know.

Comment

My main concern has really always been the forward lean. I can't have a lot of forward movement due to my tendon injury. How much forward lean do the RVL8 bindings allow? Or do they lock in upright and therefore the boot stiffness comes into play?
                  The soft boot bindings I made, and the ones I used that Bill on the forum made, have a fixed forward lean. It works really well if you like to ride upright and centered. Greco's solution should work well.
                  Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Wow, that was easier than I thought. It's done and worked great. If you want I can do it to your new bindings if you order them and in the special instructions text field just let me know.

That's awesome G!! So you actually rode them? How did it feel having it in a fixed position?

Comment

That's awesome G!! So you actually rode them? How did it feel having it in a fixed position?
                      No I haven't but years ago I rode the rocker binding that was fixed. I got used to it both ways.

When I said it worked great I meant putting the screw in to lock the highback.

Comment

I'm the proud new owner of bill's binding, I'm really looking forward to testing it out! *prays for snow* With my current setups, I have slightly fixed forward lean, all that means is that when I lean back it isn't going to go all the way back and it promotes a natural bend in the knee which gets you into position to carve. When it comes to having too much forward lean, I don't really find it to be an issue like you might imagine. A high quality boot with a stiff flex (still luxury comfort compared to most skiboots) combined with that beefy third strap, your lean is absorbed by all this material.. it has a bit of a give to it, but I find that actually advantages in most scenarios.

Comment

Working...
                        X