Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEC Bindings / K2 Mindbender 130 Alpine Touring Ski Boots 2020

So-

I bought a pair of Ski Boots, (K2 Mindbender 130 Alpine Touring Ski Boots 2020) and I saw these that let me release the ankles, and that was the deciding feature. I got a couple of hours in them, and adjusted the buckles, so we will see how much I like them with the adjustments. I was in some pretty slushy snow that kept grabbing the skiis, so I don't have a good feel for them yet, except it is very nice to release the ankles when I need to. I started with my Dynastar Power Track 173s skis since I have not worn them yet this year. Ughh, they are not fun after using Ski Boards. I feel like they are work out skis now. After an hour, I broke out my Ospreys. They did pretty good with the Ospreys, but I need some time in them after adjusting the buckles for a better fit. In any event, has any one tried putting Tek Bindings on the Spruce Risers? I am thinking about buying some and was hoping for input.

Originally posted by jenn_eris View Post
    So-

I bought a pair of Ski Boots, (K2 Mindbender 130 Alpine Touring Ski Boots 2020) and I saw these that let me release the ankles, and that was the deciding feature. I got a couple of hours in them, and adjusted the buckles, so we will see how much I like them with the adjustments. I was in some pretty slushy snow that kept grabbing the skiis, so I don't have a good feel for them yet, except it is very nice to release the ankles when I need to. I started with my Dynastar Power Track 173s skis since I have not worn them yet this year. Ughh, they are not fun after using Ski Boards. I feel like they are work out skis now. After an hour, I broke out my Ospreys. They did pretty good with the Ospreys, but I need some time in them after adjusting the buckles for a better fit. In any event, has any one tried putting Tek Bindings on the Spruce Risers? I am thinking about buying some and was hoping for input.
    Jenn, the Spruce risers are drilled for Tyrolia downhill bindings and are not drilled for Tech bindings. There are multiple holes on the risers and that would interfere with having a machine shop drilling them for Tech bindings . Also . the Ospreys are not designed to accept direct drilled bindings . They do not have a binding reinforcement plate or a firm enough core to support a drilled Tech binding properly . I have used Tech bindings on regular skis and on the short Hagan 130 skis for backcountry touring as well as at the resort. The Tech bindings are generally harder to snap in and out of then regular ski bindings. I have found that if you are not actually going to do backcountry touring on Tech bindings I do not think they offer any advantage over regular ski bindings for downhill at the resort other then weight which isn't that big an issue at the resort anyways.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Yip, you are going to need a special backcountry kit from Spruce on the Ospreys drilled to take the Tyrolia Ambition touring bindings. You have to speak to Jeff about it.
      Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
      Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
      Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post

Jenn, the Spruce risers are drilled for Tyrolia downhill bindings and are not drilled for Tech bindings. There are multiple holes on the risers and that would interfere with having a machine shop drilling them for Tech bindings .
        Jack is exactly right about this. I'm not too familiar with tech bindings, but most times when you try to mount nonstandard bindings on Spruce Risers, the pre-drilled mounting holes will overlap the new holes you need to drill. There are some ways around this, but it can get tricky. You could weld up and re-dress the offending holes, install an interface plate, or if the overlap isn't too awkward, live with it and use nuts, washers and machine screws. Or, it might be possible to take the risers to a place that sells these tech bindings and physically place them where they need to go and see if overlap is an issue. In any case, it's not a straightforward project that most ski shops are well-suited to take on.

Comment

These are dual binding capable boots, I am using them as standard boots. However there is a rear latch that lets the ankle have more freedom. The boot is in a standard quick release configuration. I can tuck in easier with the ankle latch released.

Comment

Working...
          X