Blunt XLs - what a board !!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blunt XLs - what a board !!!!!

At the end of last season I was impressed by the reviews of the Blunt XLs and ultimately managed to get a pair ( many thanks to Gromit ), mainly because I was planning to try some off-piste powder this year.

I just spent a week in La Plagne around New Year and unfortunately there was no new fresh snow, on the contrary the conditions were a very good fit for the LE125 that I very much like (thumbs up to jsinger , that's an excellent board )

The snow was mostly hard, with occasional icy patches, and gathering crud by early afternoon. In those conditions the LE125 were excellent, always grippy when carving, going smoothly through crud, sliding on the flats and handling everything with ease, I've almost discarded trying the XLs because there was no reason to get off the LE125...

But after a few days I've reluctantly decided to try and ... suffice to say that after an hour on them I was already composing this review in my head :-)

I was completely in awe of how they were handling everything ... at least as easy to maneuver as the Revolts, going on and on on flats like the Duracell bunny, easy to skate on, feeling stable at all times, even at speed, going through crud and over bumps like they were not even there, already the 125 were good at that, but the XLs were even better, I could hardly feel those kind of irregularities, they were just going soooooo smoothly though everything, I was debating in my head ... what to compare them to, riding in a Cadillac or a Rolls ?! :-) I'll let you guys choose, because I haven't drove any of those, but this is how I felt on the XLs :-)

I got the LE125 some years ago because I wanted something with more grip than the Revolts in hard snow/icy conditions and the LE125 were delivering it all the time. What about the XLs ? Well, they don't catch an edge like the 125 in those circumstances, but guess what ? Who cares ??? :-) :-) :-) They were slarving instead but I felt always so much in control, absolutely no chatter, and that sliding slarve was somehow like a hockey stop, no unexpected surprise was coming, you would do it deliberately and smoothly with almost no effort, so why worry that it's not a perfect carve ?!?

I'm no mogul expert, but when I hit an extended such section on a red slope ... no fuss, no problem, XLs makes that easy also.

For me the XLs were the most long-lasting wide-grin inducing boards :-) And they were the most remarked boards in the lift line, with people noticing them every day, commenting and asking about them, caught even some ESF instructors having long looks :-)

All in all, I'm completely in love with this boards, now I have to find a way to make another run for the mountains this winter and try them in powder :-)

Many, many thanks to Greco for coming up with such an amazing board !!!
    Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
    Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
    Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

I'm really happy that you like the Blunt XLs.
    Your review pretty much describes my own feelings about the XLs.

I saw your post about waxing. The Blunt XLs had Toko All-In-One universal wax on them.
    Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
    Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
    Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
      I saw your post about waxing. The Blunt XLs had Toko All-In-One universal wax on them.
      They looked brilliant when I got them, while my wax job ... well, it speaks for itself :-)

I've actually ordered the same Toko today, waiting for the Hertel I figured i'll try my hand with an all-temperature wax on some old kids skis that i'll have to sell. Good to know this was the proper one to get, thank you ! I still cannot figure how I ended up ordering the blue one ... several times :-) :-)

Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
      Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
      Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Working...
      X