2020 RVL8 DLP with new rear inserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 RVL8 DLP with new rear inserts

This season the new Tiger graphic DLP has additional inserts to allow a 3 cm set back with Spruce riser/release bindings. Last season I finally broke my old soft version of the ALP/DLP and ordered a replacement .I have never owned the stiffer version of the ALP , although I have the current regular Condor which I like. I had a great time today at Sierra at Tahoe on the new rear set DLP. I loved the set up in all conditions including pow. Here are some pictures including comparison pictures with my Condors and new Spruce Slingshots. My full review to come. Still some nice pow in the trees today!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

The DLP is a classic and a trip down memory lane . It was the first 110cm designed wider bodied skiboard and all mountain classic. Cambered and no rocker . The soft version was replaced by a stiffer version in later years . Most folks ride the DLP centered . Late last season I experimented with my soft ALP rear set with non release bindings at a 4cm set back and had a good time in both firm snow as well as on soft snow and I was eager to get the new DLP and also to try it rear set with my Spruce riser /release binding. Although I have enjoyed the light weight of the non releasers as I get older I am really enjoying not having to lean down and lock in my non releasers and have begun enjoying the Spruce riser release system more . The Pro prime plus binding that Greco has in the store is the binding I am using with the Tyrolia GW Attack 13 ski binding . Although heavier then a non releaser the binding is super firm with no play in the binding and I feel as connected to the skiboard as on my nonreleasers.
    In the pictures above you will notice that I moved my Tyrolia binding back one notch on the Spruce riser by removing the binding screws and reattaching on the riser one hole down . This allows me an additonal 1cm set back with a total set back of 4cm which is how I ride my Spliffs and my Condors with non release bindings.
    Ok on to the review.
    Carving the DLP is fantastic . A non rockered cambered board engages the full edge just super precise and the edge hold seems to go on forever in fast carves on firm snow. Even though I am set back 4cm on the board I do not have to lean forward much at all to have the board carve perfectly without slipping . Carving and setting an edge on this non rockered board is not as easy as on a rockered board like the Crossbows, Slingshots or Sticky Ickies but once you get the turn going it just holds on forever. Setting back 5cm on the Crossbows seemed to mess with the carve on the board for me , not so on the DLP.
    I love to go off piste at any opportunity and I need an all mountain skiboard to allow me to do that . I love the Sticky Icky on firm snow but it just does not have enough float and width for me in soft snow .
    I charged into the pow and soft junky snow with the rear set Tiger DLP's and they were fantastic riding smoothly off the tails without me having to lean back at all just staying in my regular centered or slightly forward position in pow . Just like I ride a center mount Slingshot .
    What I have found with the cambered non rockered skiboards is if you set them back you really don't need rocker in pow . The boards are so short that riding rear set boards just sink the tail and lift the nose right out of the snow and also help with variable snow , broken snow etc to avoid tip dive.
    Moguls and steeps were a breeze with the DLPs .
    I couldn't have been happier with my new DLPs , fantastic skiboard. Unfortunately they overlap a lot with my new Slingshots in what they can handle and what kind of conditions I ride them in . So now I have a new quandry . Slingshots or DLPs. ??
    It is the same quandry I have on pow days . Rear mounted Sherpas or Rear mounted Condors? (ps the current Condors sold by Greco do not have the rear inserts for Spruce risers like the new DLPs have but I have had ski shop installed after market inserts to allow me to get the set back with Spruce risers just like I do on the DLPs.)
    So am I a Spruce guy or a RVL8 guy? I guess I am both , ​!

ps my Spliffs and Crossbows used to be my all around choices with Condors and Sherpas for pow days. Now . it is Slingshots or rear mounted DLPs as my all around choice replacing Spliffs and Crossbows, and maybe just maybe my non release days are over and I will be a Spruce riser/release binding rider on all my boards !!
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

I had some additional comments about rocker-zero camber, camrock , and pure cambered boards. In soft snow , pow and variable junky snow , I have found that I can ride zero cambered , rockered boards like Ospreys, Rockered Condors and Blunt Xls fine from the center mount position . In cam rock boards (cambered and rockered) like the Spliffs, or Crossbows I have found that I still need a set back in soft snow UNTIL the Slingshots came out which are a different designed cam rock type board , cambered with rocker in the tip and flat tail and assymmetric, That board I can ride in soft snow center mount . All the pure cambered no rocker boards I prefer set back binding position in soft snow. I like to ride all my boards in pow from a center to slightly forward body position without ever having to rock back on my heels and set up all my bindings on the boards to allow me to ride that way.
      Boards :
      Boots
      Bindings:

Comment

Very interesting. Could you bring the slingshots with you when we see you is Mammoth so I can get a first-hand demo?
        rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
        ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post

..............., and maybe just maybe my non release days are over and I will be a Spruce riser/release binding rider on all my boards !!
          Jack, just out of interest, I don't think I can remember you on a classic non release set up, other than your soft boots?

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by rickylink View Post
            Very interesting. Could you bring the slingshots with you when we see you is Mammoth so I can get a first-hand demo?
            Absolutely, will do!!

Boards :
            Boots
            Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post

Jack, just out of interest, I don't think I can remember you on a classic non release set up, other than your soft boots?
              Yes, I think last time I was with you at Westfest ,I was on Spliffs and Condors with standard Zero non releasers, that allow me to set back 4 cm,
              It was rather exciting as I accidentally unclipped my binding snagging it on the foot rest on the chairlift. Lucky I had a strap connected to it and Courtney and Tom were able to save my bacon by snapping it back on

Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

Jack,
                have you ridden the KTPs? How do the DLPs compare to KTPs?

thanks
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mag View Post
                  Jack,
                  have you ridden the KTPs? How do the DLPs compare to KTPs?

thanks
                  Mike
                  Yes, I used to own a KTP,
                  Both boards are stiff , torsionally rigid,.
                  I prefer the DLP , I like the narrower profile , easier to get on edge for carving for me.

Boards :
                  Boots
                  Bindings:

Comment

I love the DLPs enough to wish for a snow drought to ride them.... well, almost. I'm even warming up to the new graphics; I think of them as the Thundercats. I'm using Receptors, so I set them back as far as the bindings will allow. Haven't been able to use the setback inserts on the new ones.

After a couple of days on the DLPs, my Spliffs feel too soft in the tails in similar conditions. If I could have a Spliff rockered nose with a stiff DLP tail on the same board, I'd be a happy man.
                    BOARDSLAYER
                    Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                    Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

That would make for an interesting board!!

Comment

Working...
                      X