Spruce Slingshots Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone!

I just started skiing this season since I now live close enough to go every weekend I'm free. My wife and friends steered me toward longer skis but I enjoy shorter ones, and now I'm itching to try skiboards.

I found this forum doing research and the slingshots sound exactly like what I'm looking for. Does anyone know if there's any place around Tahoe where slingshots or any kind of skiboard can be rented?

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Newtoboards , Welcome !! Unfortunately no place around Tahoe to rent skiboards . If you are interested in trying out the Slingshots or other skiboards , join us for Shredfest ! There are many folks who can loan you skiboards to try .
      What ski area do you usually go to in the Tahoe area ?

https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...uth-lake-tahoe
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Hi JJue, well luckily I have the Epic local pass, so I think I might be calling in sick one of those days...

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!

Comment

Here are some skiboards mounted in the ski carrier. First the front view and you see how mouthy both the Crossbows and Slingshots are. The more traditional cambered ( and shorter ) Elailas are much smaller.

But it is in the rear where things get interesting. Just note how much less there is in the Slingshots as even compared to the smaller Elailas. I suspect it is this flatness, plus narrower tail that allows for a very unique way of slarved turn.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
          Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
          Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

"Mouthy", good description.
            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Can I ride the Slingshots on a non-release binding?? like a Bomber or Line FF or Soft boot? I have ridden Line MNPs for over 24 yrs (Big Foots before that!!) and want to stick to a non -release binding --my experience sinking in deep powder, last Shredfest, at Sierra AT has me interested in a wider (maybe longer) skiboard - -especially for Tahoe and Mt. Ashland on powder days. My MNPs did very well at Heavenly and at the 2 SoCal mtns = Baldy and Mtn High - -i need a board that doesn't sink like the RVL8 Blunt XLs that went screaming past as i was crawling in the knee deep pow. I had planned to add the Rockered Condors on soft boots until seeing this thread.

was on Big Foots, Cannons, Klimax Redline, 98 Line MNPs, Line ff cam and bomber bindings - new boards: RVL8 2015 SII, 2011 KTP --24 yrs non released - -skiboarding til 2050!!

Comment

Originally posted by Baldybob View Post
                Can I ride the Slingshots on a non-release binding??
                I don't think so ... If I'm not mistaken, on boards over 110cm, the pattern of the holes is different ( 4x10 vs 4x4 on shorter boards ), specifically to prevent using non-release bindings on these longer boards...
                Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
                Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
                Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

I believe it a safety issue,and snapping bones is not safe.
                  Not to say you will go out of your way to be unsafe but lawyers are really not good people ....in my opinion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Baldybob View Post
                    Can I ride the Slingshots on a non-release binding?? like a Bomber or Line FF or Soft boot? I have ridden Line MNPs for over 24 yrs (Big Foots before that!!) and want to stick to a non -release binding --my experience sinking in deep powder, last Shredfest, at Sierra AT has me interested in a wider (maybe longer) skiboard - -especially for Tahoe and Mt. Ashland on powder days. My MNPs did very well at Heavenly and at the 2 SoCal mtns = Baldy and Mtn High - -i need a board that doesn't sink like the RVL8 Blunt XLs that went screaming past as i was crawling in the knee deep pow. I had planned to add the Rockered Condors on soft boots until seeing this thread.
                    Hi Baldybob, Unfortunately the Slingshots would require that you use a Spruce riser and release system . I would recommend for you either the Blunt XL or the Rockered Condors ridden with your own nonrelease binding. You don't really need a soft boot system , they ride just fine with your regular nonrelease system and have the right inserts and work great in pow . Blunt Xl IMHO . is a better all around choice , the RC's are more of a powder specific choice , both great in deep pow. If you want to go the soft boot route , they also both work well with that system. Either board would have been much better then your MNP's at that Sierra powder day .IMHO having ridden with you and seeing as how you like your Line MNP, I kind of lean to recommending the Blunt XL over the RC , just because the board is a bit more stable fore and aft and more versatile in a variety of snow types then the RC, while being more manueverable because of it's shorter profile. It is more stable fore and aft even though it is 10cm shorter then the RC because the rocker on it is not as extreme as the Rockered Condor. Just my two cents.
                    Boards :
                    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                    Boots
                    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                    Bindings:
                    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Jack, your comment on the XL's stability got me wondering about board stiffness. Are the XL's stiffer than the RC's?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

171cm/190lbs
                      Current Favorites:
                      RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
                      Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
                      Other boards I'm trying:
                      Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
                        Jack, your comment on the XL's stability got me wondering about board stiffness. Are the XL's stiffer than the RC's?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                        They are same stiffness, the difference is caused by the rocker profile. The RC has twice the rocker of the Blunt xl over a shorter length

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Boards :
                        Boots
                        Bindings:

Comment

Thanks for all the great replies - and to Jack for his choice of the Blunt XLs - -what i didn't mention is that the next skiboard is not a replacement for my MNPs or a Swiss Army Knife board - -i plan to use it only in deep powder, anywhere the MNPs fear to tread - - and since i can ski at Mtn High and Mt Ashland for free at 70 - -i want a powder board with the most float for the Ashland powder days - -otherwise i will just snowboard and float on blue runs -as i am not an expert -- i have many snowboards and bindings left here by my three, 30 something sons, who all quit mtn sports - - i have already hooked up a Flow rear entry snowboard binding on riser plates on the MNPs - - i loved the light softboots --every year the ski boots feel heavier!! but i went back to the ski boots and Line bindings because it felt much faster edge to edge inbounds on SoCal cement -
                          So for deep powder and out of bounds or back country adventures - -i want the floatiest skiboards --- that said --i won't go Spruce risers and release bindings after 2 release rescues - - and i can use the Flow bindings in release mode to hike with a free heel - - Actually way back i heard that skiboards couldn't be over 100 cm and be fixed --well - let's go to 110 but keep the 4X4 for binding switch outs - from Flow to Bomber - -and didn't i have some kid skis?? 125 Atomic race skis?? were they skiboards or ??? anyway,
                          Now from my analysis - -i think i want the big powder bopper with the fattest under foot width - -Eric Pollard, who designs Line Skis and says he wants the width of a snowboard under foot when he lands his back country cliff flips, did design the Line Sakana, the 2019 Powder Mag Ski of the Year - - very light and flexible for the soft powder, directional flat tail like the Slingshot - and one review sums up what your review of the Slingshots says >>It is incredible as both a resort and a backcountry ski. If I could only have one ski, this would be it. It rides high on powder and edges in packed snow.<< -that was my interest in the Slingshot deal - - -
                          So, maybe it is time for RVL8 to build a new Condor XL with the same tail ending inside 110cm --
                          i think my choice is a Rockered Condor in deep powder on Soft Boots with poles (try the glades at the back of Alta for sinking on flat ground) -- thanks for aligning my brain to my boards -
                          cya at Shredfest!!
                          old skiboards Kneissl Big Foots, a broken Cannon, Klimax,
                          Line MNPs, Line Jedi, Line FF binding, Bomber binding, Flow snowboard binding

was on Big Foots, Cannons, Klimax Redline, 98 Line MNPs, Line ff cam and bomber bindings - new boards: RVL8 2015 SII, 2011 KTP --24 yrs non released - -skiboarding til 2050!!

Comment

Hi Baldybob, now I understand better what you are looking for . The RC in deep pow with soft boots and poles is a a great choice..!! yes , cya at shredfest!
                            Boards :
                            Boots
                            Bindings:

Comment

Yes, the RC is the board for your use case for sure Baldybob. Apart from anything else, it's so much less work in powder.
                              Crossbow (go to dream board)
                              Most everything else over time.
                              Go Android

Comment

We recently returned from a trip to Colorado where I had a chance to give the new Slingshots a go in something other than solid ice we typically have at home. These were the only boards I carried on the trip. I’ve ridden certain boards that I didn’t really get along with, so it was something of a risk leaving a massive collection of “sure things” at home. No worries, though, I definitely enjoyed the Slingshots.

On typical blue trails they are compliant, predictable and sure footed. My hardboots are modified to an extreme upright position, and I noticed that consciously leaning with pressure into the shell resulted in a nice, smooth ride. Since normal humans don’t molest their boots this way, most folks would probably just ride normally.

I can only tolerate moguls to a degree, but this is where the slingshots worked slick. It’s possible the asymmetry might have something to do with this. The big tips ride over anything, easily and the tails slide back and forth easily, making turns in bumps with low effort.

We didn’t get off the trails much, but the big tips are easy to keep high with the tails being (relatively) undersize. Keeping the tips high and steering by shifting your weight (and thus the tails) back and forth works very effectively. I call riding this way “Jack style”. It’s a little different than some other boards, but very intuitive.

Will the Slingshots usurp Crossbows, 120’s, and other favorite boards for me? That’s a pretty high bar. I don’t know. Time will tell. I know they’re different, and I like them. I wonder if folks who are more comfortable with a long ski technique might really stroke on these?

One other important point: this particular pair has Jeff’s “race tune”, which is great. No question, it’s the berries for gliding on flats. It would be instructive to have a pair without the race tune and compare the other ride qualities apples for apples, but I have a strong idea the high-end tune job would be a major net plus on any board.

Less important: I’m in the camp that prefers zero or at least understated graphics, and being a map junkie, the topo design is pretty cool. Very clever!

Comment

Working...
                                X