No announcement yet.

Spruce Slingshots Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really wish I had been with you Jjue, but would def have wanted to be on my fabulous Crossbows, ballet on snow. But you are taller than me and that might make a big difference.
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Comment

I'll add my 2-cents worth of impressions to Jack's comprehensive notes.

I couldn't think of any way to make a better Crossbow, so I thought I'd try something a bit off the beaten track. I wasn't sure how the Slingshots would ride, but I figured that at least they would be different and not likely boring. So, I've been out on the Slingshots four times for short sessions (I live 15 minutes from the mountain, so short commute) all four days on packed snow. The board goes just about like it thought it would because it's a shorter derivative of the Salomon BBR which I tried a couple of seasons ago. Wide tip and narrow tail with fairly soft flex.

I can ride the Slingshots with my weight completely centered on my feet and make a turn by just rotating my hips and shoulders in the direction I want to got. The boards just happily slide into the turn and continue to slide sideways without being at all catchy. Sort of the way I think I would ski if it was my third day out. A beginner board? Beginners will have to try it and report on this. I may be kidding myself by doing something unconsciously to make it seem dead easy to turn.

So, if that's all the board did, I'd be bored pretty quickly, but I found that anytime I put my weight on the balls of my feet, the tips hooked up and pulled into the turn. With my weight well forward, I feel like I'm making a carved turn (the tails are actually skidding) and what's unusual for me is that the more forward my weight goes during the turn, the tighter the turn radius. The boards will happily let me make completely skidded turns in one direction and tip carved turns in the other. All with little drama.

Compared to Crossbows, the Slingshots feel on snow like they have a longer edge (they do by a couple of inches) and they seem more "slidy" to me except when the tips are hooked up. It will be instructive to hear what others have to say about this board.

Comment

The Crossbows had been my preferred all mountain boards for two seasons. But one thing that bothers me about Crossbows is the edge-to-edge time and effort to get those boards to switch from slarving to carving. I've gone back mostly to 120s and DLPs this season but am annoyed that it's harder to slarve on them. Could the Slingshot be a better alternative? How stiff are the Slingshots compared to the Crossbows and 120s?

Comment

I think the Slingshots are much easier to go from carve to slarve or slarve to carve then the Crossbows when comparing both boards center mount.. I think stiffness of the two boards are similar
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Zero Pro Non release Binding
          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

I have ridden the Crossbows since their inception and the step-up was really a wow factor. Going from the Crossbows to the Slingshots was not really a new wow, but I reckon if you've never ridden the Crossbows, getting on the Slingshots will definitely be wow.

Having said that, here are some of my impressions of the Slingshots after one outing. I had the benefit of the previous reviews in this thread to focus on specific points.

The conditions today included hard groomers, groomers with a level of soft snow on top, moguls and a variety of steepness. Due to the sunny conditions, snow texture changed as the day progressed.

Others pointed to a number of things, but the main characteristic that stood out for me is aft-stability. Coming off those small jumps from side-piste to groomers, I felt less need to lean forward as with the Crossbows. Also I never had any issues with the tails grabbing.

In the resort of Arinsal there is this small black run which gains more moguls from the top down as the season progresses. It then all funnels into a narrow bottom-half which is nearly half-pipe like. This is one of my two favourite runs in the resort and a great test bed for skiboards due to the technical aspects. If you don't want the moguls to beat you up you must be prepared for some sharp turns. I have done this route many times with both Crossbows and Ospreys and here I think the Slingshots beat them both - more aft-stability than the Crossbows and easier turning than the Ospreys.

I started to think about all the carved and slarved turn mentions, but I noticed that most turns were carved and indeed very lovely when initiated from ankle/heel standing up straight. This is much like the Crossbows, but possibly the latter is slightly better here.

Oh well, I decided to bypass the crowds of the beginners area by going down a green run which we usually use when skinning up. From a decision point a bad choice, because this was rock hard with no adiitional snow cover. Suddenly the slarving action came naturally and the ride was stable, even given the conditions underfoot.

I rode center-mount the whole day and I see no reason yet to rear-mount them. Opinions on that may change when we get more snow next week.

Will this board replace the Crossbows for me? Maybe, but it would be for the aft-stability. The good thing would be that I can lend out the Crossbows that I have to others.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
            Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
            Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

I think for someone who wanting to buy new boards and having to choose between Crossbows & Slingshots, there are no wrong choice. It is going to be like having to choose between new albums of your favourite artists. It will come down to having to find one little factor which is most important for you at this point in your riding experience.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
              Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
              Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Great day using the Slingshots as a backcountry board today with my two sons, one on a split board and one on long skis. I'm using a custom riser designed by Bill here on the forum for my Fritschi AT binding. Climbing was mostly on firm snow but descent was in nice pow in trees. Slingshots center mount was great on the ascent as well on the descent. Love the board in the backcountry!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
                Boards :
                Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                Boots
                K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                Bindings:
                Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Here is a short video of the Slingshots working smoothly in some crusty backcountry pow . .
                  Boards :
                  Boots
                  Bindings:

Comment

Repost of images on my original post today, they get knocked off if you edit a Tapatalk post on the web version of the post,displays images correctly in web version of forum but not on Tapatalk

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Boards :
                    Boots
                    Bindings:

Comment

I have an additional comment about the Slingshot in backcountry use. I really enjoyed being able to climb up the mountain in a center mount binding position rather then rear mounted. It allows less sinking of the tail in soft snow and a more balanced climbing position both in soft and firm snow. I think the Slingshot will be my new general all purpose backcountry board with the Sherpa backcountry set up for deep pow days.
                      Boards :
                      Boots
                      Bindings:

Comment

Here is another short video of my eldest son on his spliboard (snowboard) and myself on Slingshots . Nice demo I think of how smoothly Slingshots ride in pow compared to snowboards.
                        ps.
                        I also I replaced the previous video three posts above with a higher quality copy .
                        Boards :
                        Boots
                        Bindings:

Comment

I rode mine today. Conditions were hard pack icy groomers. They ride like the Crossbows with even a better edge in these conditions. Like others have said it is really easy to slide the tails into a turn. I detuned my tips and was glad I did. In really slick spots, I could feel the tips pull just a little bit. These turn really easy and are great in the bumps. Edge to edge response is great.

Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                          Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                          Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                          History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Originally posted by wjeong View Post
                            I rode mine today. Conditions were hard pack icy groomers. They ride like the Crossbows with even a better edge in these conditions. Like others have said it is really easy to slide the tails into a turn. I detuned my tips and was glad I did. In really slick spots, I could feel the tips pull just a little bit. These turn really easy and are great in the bumps. Edge to edge response is great.

One more observation, although they appear to be the same stiffness as the Crossbows, they ride stiffer. I think it's due to the asymmetrical design and flat tail. This is more short ski like.
                            Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                            Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                            Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                            History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

So essentially they are like skates with a tip? They are very intriguing...
                              Skis/Skiboards:
                              2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
                              2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
                              2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
                              2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
                              20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
                              2012 Salomon SPK 90
                              2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
                              2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

WIth my 2nd day on Slingshots I noticed that that there is a slight difference in edge-based turns as compared with the Crossbows. With the latter I like to dig the heel in and it gives a lovely turn. With the Slingshots I find I can do the same but the turn is slightly less aggressive, so needs a second more for planning.

Also rode out of my favourite black runs, but it was probably in the toughest conditions I've ever done it in. Lots of hard packed snow on a steep slope. Had to deal with some sharp turns to negotiate bumps, but I reckon the Slinghots dealt with it quite well.

Comment

Working...
                                X