2018 RVL8 DLPs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 RVL8 DLPs

Got the new DLPs out for a rip this afternoon. I took my Spliffs out for a couple of laps first as a baseline (dropped the DLPs off for a hotwax first, so I had a bit of time to kill anyways). It was definitely a Spliffy type of day, with a foot of snow in the last 48 hrs; I was almost tempted to keep riding the Spliffs, but hey new gear!

First impressions: First off, the watercolour graphic on these boards is beautiful. Having Dave stare back at you when riding the chairlift is like a challenge to give'r (and grow facial hair...). As soon as I was off the chair, the improvement in skating ability over the Spliffs was obvious. I do a lot of hikes and traverses on this hill, so that's a bit of a bonus.

Dropped down a moderately steep groomed-ish blue run to start with. I think I said "F*ck Yeah!" out loud about halfway down the first pitch. The DLPs instantly brought back my favorite skiboard technique, which I had forgotten about: slingshot hop-carves. This is where you make a short, quick and edge-in carve that slingshots you up and to the side, then land on edge into the next carve, and so on. It looks a bit like this:

(

......)

(

......)

Very fun and makes for a lot of turns down the hill. Conditions were pretty soft with a bit of a packed base underneath, so when I tried making more sustained carves, I noticed the tip shovels digging in pretty aggressively and throwing me for a loop. I didn't play around much with that respect, so I need to learn the boards a bit. I'm pretty sure they'll carve like they're on rails once I get the feel for them and how to weight into turns. Took a few small jumps along the side of the lower part of the run, and the landings were rock-solid and very centered/stable. The Spliffs ride out easy, but can be a little squirmy underfoot when landing on packed snow.

Second run was a gully-type black run (where I broke my M7), basically a funneled fall line with lots of moguls. These tend to scrub out fast, so I went there looking for a bit of harder snow in the mogul troughs. It wasn't really icy, but the DLPs sure rode differently and probably better than my Spliffs. The Spliffs are so forgiving that it's usually a matter of guiding them where you want to be and just riding out the changes in pitch and direction; with the DLPs the edges bite in and actively make turns, allowing you to carve with the middle portion. When there's no powder and the mogul fields get scrubbed off, I like to use a tip-turn technique where you lift the tails and mid-section of the board off the ground and pivot on the tip. I think the DLPs are going to shine at this.

Run three was my favorite line down Terra Ratta... cliff-zone double black glade running at its finest. I was a little hesitant to run this line on the first day out on the new boards. It involves a small drop that shoots you out between a couple of rocks onto a steep pitch, then crank a left over a drop to miss the trees, aim it down, drop and then ride a good glade line straight down. Super fun, but needs a few solid landings and accelerates you pretty quickly. Deep snow was a potential confounding factor here, as I'd had a few tip catches transitioning into deeper snow on my first run (caught the tips on the Spliffs a bit on this run earlier). No problems! Might have been a cleaner run than on the Spliffs, and the big rear shovels on the DLPs seem to allow you to actually carve the underlying base a bit when you get backseat in moderate pow. With any other boards I've been on, it's usually more of a ruddering action instead of an edge effect. It can be a bit of a liability if you're not on top of it... I did get tossed a couple of times trying to turn out of a landing while backseat.

I did have them set up a bit more boot-centered than I ride my Spliffs... (about a 1/2 inch). I ride my Spliffs about 6 notches from the full setback on my Receptors). Not sure how much of a difference that will make. They seem to handle fine in moderate powder so far, and I'll be Spliffing on deep days in any case.

Long story short, if the Spliffs are a 4x4 truck, the DLPs are a rally car. Fast, super responsive, able to take some rough stuff, but might flip you into a tree if you don't stay on top of them.

They're pretty much exactly the boards I was looking to add to the quiver. Is it sick that I'm (almost) wishing for less powder so I have an excuse to ride them now?
    BOARDSLAYER
    Base / Edge Destruction X X X
    Cores Snapped X X X

Welcome to Club DLP! Give them a tour of the park and push them hard. They are really fun boards. The ride is more relaxed and less edgy if you set further back. I prefer the aggressive response of riding them centered. Enjoy!

Comment

Funny thing is, I'm not a park kid whatsoever, but I do like getting sendy on the rest of the hill. These things feel like they'll stick drops pretty well without having to rely on powder to soak it up, like on the Spliffs. Moguls make great gap jumps, too, if you don't mind just bouncing through the field.

I'll have to play with the binding positions a bit. I can see them working great centre mounted when the powder disappears. On the few runs today, I couldn't figure out if I had too much tail or not enough; could have used a little more on some landings, but appreciated the setback in the soft.

For the glades (and generally), they seem like they'll up my ability to make quick, controlled direction changes and fast stops, which is why I love skiboarding. They stop RIGHT NOW when you want them to; I never really trust my Spliffs to do that on open runs at speed.
      BOARDSLAYER
      Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

You just have to get familiar with them. It took me a while to build trust in the tails to hold. I have a tendency to lean back on drops and landings, so that's another reason why I ride them on center. They definitely absorb the shock better than other boards I have.

Comment

I'm watching you...

Great review on the boards. I'm glad they were what you needed!
          Adam and Greco really had the right idea with the 110s. great responsive boards that can give you whatever you need out of them.
          facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

Hey, it's the man himself! Nice boards, Dave!

I'm really digging the stability that comes from that length combined with the all-camber ride... they feel a lot more "old-school" skiboard than my Spliffs.

They might get to try some serious powder this weekend... for what the forecast is worth, they're calling for 100 cm between today and Sunday at Whitewater. I rode Red Mountain last weekend so I didn't bring them out for fear of damaging them (lots of rocks still... put some new notches in the Spliffs instead). Whitewater's got good coverage and I know the hill a lot better.

I've got a buddy coming to visit who's bringing some GoPros and a drone, so maybe you will be watching me soon....

I think you're right, Fun Machine... once I get a bit more used to them I'll probably centre them up a bit more, especially when there's no new snow. Right now I'm about 1/2" forward of where I'm at on the Spliffs. By the way, how do you define centre relative to the boot? Centre of boot to centre of board? Or just even up the heel and toe pieces while on the middle mount holes?
            BOARDSLAYER
            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
              I think you're right, Fun Machine... once I get a bit more used to them I'll probably centre them up a bit more, especially when there's no new snow. Right now I'm about 1/2" forward of where I'm at on the Spliffs. By the way, how do you define centre relative to the boot? Centre of boot to centre of board? Or just even up the heel and toe pieces while on the middle mount holes?
              For me it's center mark on the boots directly over center of the boards. It lines up for perfectly me on non-release bindings but is actually set back about 1/8" on release bindings.

Comment

Dave Lynam - King of Spring

Update Time!

It's been a sad, lonely winter for the DLPs... We've had 1008 cm (33 ft) of snowfall this season, so I've been on the Spliffs pretty much continuously. There's been the odd day that I've pulled them out when there was a little less snow, but in anything more than 10 cm of new, the Spliffs just made life so much easier that it wasn't really worth it.

Then spring conditions came, and changed everything. The DLPs absolutely ROCK in slush, mixed conditions and even crusty sun-destroyed slopes that used to be powder. They handle transitions between conditions pretty well, since I've got confidence that they edges will bite if I hit something hard in the shade. I skied Red Mountain three days in a row, and managed to hit pretty much every condition you can think of, including some dang decent and still fluffy patches of powder on some of the north faces.
                (they were hidden below this run; the narrow chute with mandatory rock drop might explain the lack of tracks. Not my footage, conditions were nowhere near that good, and I didn't crash on the 4 or 5 runs I took down it. Skiboards make for more graceful entrances, too, because you can turn in the top chute. ).

I've even changed my mantra of "Spliffs are for Cliffs", which has been the rule this winter. It's certainly true in deep powder, but the DLPs have been rock-solid reliable on some of the biggest drops of the season, especially considering the landings were neither fresh nor forgiving. I don't think I would have been able to stick some of them on the Spliffs, which are great for riding out all sorts of stuff when its soft, but aren't the greatest at regaining control when the powder disappears. The DLPs stuck damn near everything I threw at them, including some bad take-offs.

Overall, they still feel like a very precise board, which is great because they'll do exactly what you tell them to do, and which can be a little bit of a pain because you need to tell them what to do and can't get too lazy about it. I stopped noticing this pretty quickly once I put some hours on them.

For me, setting the bindings back has helped. I started riding then as far back as I can get (even further than my Spliffs). Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it keeps me from feeling like I have to get backseat all the time and lightens up the tips a little. I haven't noticed the tips digging in on hard carves since I set them back, which was a minor issue on soft groomers the first day out.

I'm pretty happy to say that they make an great quiver-of-two when paired up with a rockered powder board; there's enough overlap between them that it's usually not going to be necessary to bring both sets to the hill, but the DLPs seem to kick ass at everything the Spliffs don't, and vice-versa.

Happy!
                BOARDSLAYER
                Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
                X