X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• macrophotog
    replied
    Originally posted by Kocho View Post
    Can you guys snap a photo from the side with the skis on a level surface, like a table, to see the side profile?

I think soft tips are generally good for versatility in softer conditions. The stiffer center might still provide good stability and edge hold.

But weren't these supposed to be symmetrical? I prefer directional as forward is where I am facing most of the time , just was confused, I guess.

As for bigger vs smaller riders, it is not a simple choice. I think a lighter and less aggressive rider should avoid overly stiff boards regardless if board size. Heavier or more aggressive riders might benefit from stiffer and bigger boards. But there is a wide range of preferences and riding styles. Most skiboards are fine for most riders, except at the extreme weight ranges and snow conditions combinations - don't want a heavy rider on short skinny boards in deep soft conditions for example.
    I can post a photo of the side profile tonight (unless Wookie beats me to it). These boards are symmetrical in the width profile (138-112-138), but the tips appear to have quite a bit more rocker in them showing them to be naturally a more directional board as Wookie mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Can you guys snap a photo from the side with the skis on a level surface, like a table, to see the side profile?

I think soft tips are generally good for versatility in softer conditions. The stiffer center might still provide good stability and edge hold.

But weren't these supposed to be symmetrical? I prefer directional as forward is where I am facing most of the time , just was confused, I guess.

As for bigger vs smaller riders, it is not a simple choice. I think a lighter and less aggressive rider should avoid overly stiff boards regardless if board size. Heavier or more aggressive riders might benefit from stiffer and bigger boards. But there is a wide range of preferences and riding styles. Most skiboards are fine for most riders, except at the extreme weight ranges and snow conditions combinations - don't want a heavy rider on short skinny boards in deep soft conditions for example.

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied

Christmas came early for a few of us! Thanks Wookie for saving me from typing - I can say ditto to everything he said. I also agree with the softer flex, but really think that it is more in the tips and tails because the camber underfoot appears to be more robust than the 120’s as I recall them. For another comparison, these tips/tails are stiffer than my 2012 Rockered Condors.

I plan to ride these on Thursday so hope to post a review soon after. I am excited to ride these - they are very sharp looking and in hand show significant promise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Tom91381
    replied
    Awesome write up, be nice to know how they do on both sides of the states, and with people of all sizes too. I’m small in comparison to most, standing at 5’9” and weighing in at 155. I’m wondering if these are more geared to the larger framed and stronger then the normal person.
    Anyone out near California want to test these out anytime soon? I have a pair on order and I’m willing to get as many that want to give them a test run when I receive them ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm just the FNG--== ****ing new guy

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    Originally posted by Toro View Post
    You mentioned these are sidewall constructed, are all Spruce boards moving to sidewall or just the Crossbows?
    I am not sure if all Spruce boards are moving to sidewall over capped construction. The last batch of Spruce 120s was capped construction but my 125LEs (preproduction Raptors) were sidewall construction.

For me I prefer sidewall construction. Some don't like that the sidewalls chip a bit and prefer capped construction. For me the chipping is a minor nuisance and a badge of honor. Sidewall, IMHO, gives the skiboards a high end ski look and more stiffness across the board for edge grip.

Leave a comment:

• Toro
    replied
    Beautiful! Can't wait to hear how they perform on the mountain!

You mentioned these are sidewall constructed, are all Spruce boards moving to sidewall or just the Crossbows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    started a topic Spruce Mountain Skiboards - 115 CM Crossbow Longboards

Spruce Mountain Skiboards - 115 CM Crossbow Longboards

They say that Christmas time is a time of happiness when a jolly old man from the North spreads joy by delivering presents to everyone on the "Nice" list. Well if this is true I've been very good and Christmas has come early at my house (and Santa's workshop is in New Hampshire not the North Pole.)

Thanks to Santa Jeff (and FexEx) I give your first look at the 115 Crossbow from Spruce Mountain Skiboards:

LET IT SNOW! LET IT SNOW!

Before comparing them to other boards let's just talk about these in isolation. The construction looks solid, no less than what I would expect from a perfectionist like Jeff Singer at Spruce. These are sidewall constructed. White sidewalls and black bases. The pics (both above and on https://www.spruceski.com) do not do justice to the topsheets. They really came out nice and the "CTS" graphics pop a lot more than they did when Spruce used them on the last batch of Spruce 120s. The primary colors are deep black and white with grey and green accents. The rocker is very gentle at both ends with a modest camber underfoot. As anticipated they have 2 sets of 4x10 inserts to allow for a center or a setback riding position. The tip of the board has a very tall rise that is more pronounced than anything in my quiver. It should make crud busting and powder riding a joy.

Now how do they compare to other boards? Pictured above from left to right are the following:
    • 105 CM RVL8 Revolt Cities (no Ricky they are not for sale)
    • 109 CM RVL8 Spliff
    • 115 CM Spruce Crossbows
    • 120 CM Spruce 120s

The waist width is comparable to the Revolts while the sidecut seems to be closer to the 120s. I do not currently have my RVL8 SIIs for comparision (out on loan for the day) but they really do look like the Spruce 120s and SIIs had a love child. These appear to be a directional skiboard not a symmetrical skiboard with a more pronounced tip than tail. It also appears that the side cut starts a bit further back from the tip than it does from the tail employing a design detail found in many long skis today that gives you a crud busting shovel at the tip that doesn't get in the way when you carve. As far as stiffness goes these appear to lean toward the soft flex end of the spectrum. Certainly softer than my 120s but this may just be at the tip and tail as the construction underfoot is very robust. Only time on the hill will tell the real story.

So when will I get this out to test drive? I am hoping this week but with the holidays it may have to wait until after Christmas. I'll post my thoughts after my first ride but if you have a set headed your way or order a set tomorrow and beat me to the hill feel free to share your thoughts on this thread to keep the conversation going.

If you are interested, Spruce starts sale to the general public tomorrow (12/19/17). Follow this link to order and for more information: https://www.spruceski.com/store/p50/...Skiboards.html
Working...
X