X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valmorel
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom91381 View Post
    There’s no way I’ll be able to tell what I’m feeling when I get out on these. While this is all new to me I just know what I can control, and what makes me feel like I’m in control. I only do all mountain and not any type of tricks or jumps. I’ve found out I really like the set backs that the sticky’s give me, I like having those tips breaking thru the trail that I’m heading down.
    I might head to Mammoth on Saturday to give mine a little taste of the snow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That doesn't mean your opinion doesn't count. Let us know anyway.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Tom91381
    replied
    Originally posted by Kocho View Post
    Nice! Glad you had a good time on the Crossbows! Hopefully you or Wookie will soon share comparisons with the SIIs.

How do you find the more "relaxed" turn radius?

There’s no way I’ll be able to tell what I’m feeling when I get out on these. While this is all new to me I just know what I can control, and what makes me feel like I’m in control. I only do all mountain and not any type of tricks or jumps. I’ve found out I really like the set backs that the sticky’s give me, I like having those tips breaking thru the trail that I’m heading down.
    I might head to Mammoth on Saturday to give mine a little taste of the snow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Fedfan
    replied
    Hey, Macro.
    What did you think of the stiffness? Something I'm concerned about is the boards being too soft for the way I ride. I had a set of 120's a couple of years ago and saw right away that the tips of the risers were starting to make indentations on the tops of the boards. I don't expect them to be KTP's, but I want to be able to push them without them folding up. Was your high speed during a straight line or while on edge?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied
    Nice! Glad you had a good time on the Crossbows! Hopefully you or Wookie will soon share comparisons with the SIIs.

I haven't skied the SIIs so we will have to wait for Wookie or someone else for that comparison. I was fighting the more "relaxed" turn radius on the first run, then I remembered it was a larger radius and then changed my approach and expectations. But, after mounting setback, the Crossbows would respond to any turn radius I wanted them to go into with the proper input.

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied
    Spruce Mountain Skiboards - 115 CM Crossbow Longboards

I was able to get a little over 4 hours on the snow today with the Crossbows. The temperature was between 20-25 degrees F during my time on the mountain, with the previous few days being in the 40's - 50's. This made for soft granular conditions with some hardpack underneath, but I never really got down to the hardpack - I was one of very few skiers so not much was getting moved around or skied off. If you like soft groomers, today was your day with 4+ hours of the stuff and no piling up of snow.

I started the morning on the Crossbows center mounted and eventually switched to setback.

Center mounted, the ride was very nice. . . smooth and enjoyable, good edging and grip. I quickly found confidence in the boards and was not worried about washing out so began increasing my speed and steepness of my runs. The boards continued to respond and perform well never losing an edge. Center mounted, it seemed to me that they boards were much more comfortable carving on it's designed radius and not giving me as much freedom to push hard into tighter carves like I was expecting with a somewhat softer flexing board (I obviously expect this on stiffer boards/skis).

After switching to setback, I found the Crossbow to be an even better performing, more versatile board! It did not lose any of the positives mentioned above (almost seemed to amp them up to a higher category), but in a sense became more adaptable in terms of how you could ski them. Weight yourself slightly forward and they charged super hard and fast always keeping an edge. You could give loads of input into your carves and the board would respond accordingly allowing me to tighten up or lengthen out the radius of my carves with no misbehavior or negative feedback at all. Weight yourself center or a little back and they became super playful and surfy and could dance all over (I love my Rockered Condors on soft groomers for this same reason). These boards really sang for me in the setback position!

Overall the Crossbows seem very capable boards with the ability to offer a variety of rides - if I wanted to ride them casually with little input, they behaved nicely and were a pleasure. If I wanted to push them hard and fast, they responded extremely well to any input I gave them especially in the setback position. These are great boards and I am looking forward to getting out on them again!

There is no powder in the forecast here, but I expect over the next week to experience a few other conditions on the Crossbows (ice, crud, etc.) and will report back on those conditions as they occur.

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied
    Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
    I haven't measured it out yet, but the the design specified running length is just over 93cm.
    Actual running length appears to be about 73cm (measured with camber compressed flat).

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    Originally posted by sempai View Post
    The tip and tail height really stands out. A side-by-side pic with the SII would be interesting to see.
    Ask and ye shall receive:

The angles to get these photos exaggerate things a bit but you can really see the more pronounced Tip and Tail.

Side by Side

file

SIIs overlay on Crossbows

file4

Profile w/ SIIs in foreground
    <-- Tail --------------- Tip --->

file1

Tips aligned

file2

Tails aligned

file3

Leave a comment:

• sempai
    replied
    Thanks! Wow, a lot of tip and tail in the air ... They must ski short And a lot of camber too.
    The tip and tail height really stands out. A side-by-side pic with the SII would be interesting to see.

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied
    Thanks! Wow, a lot of tip and tail in the air ... They must ski short And a lot of camber too. Keep us posted on how you find them on the slopes later this week.
    I haven't measured it out yet, but I think the design specified running length is just over 93cm.

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Thanks! Wow, a lot of tip and tail in the air ... They must ski short And a lot of camber too. Keep us posted on how you find them on the slopes later this week.

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied
    Originally posted by Wookie View Post
    The side cut is 138-112-138 but I think the widest part of the tip is slightly further back from the end than the widest part of the tail. Please compare your boards and verify.
    This is correct - the widest part of the tip is further back than the widest part of the tail. It reminded me of how some powder boards are built where the shovel is narrower than the widest part of the tip.

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    Originally posted by valmorel View Post
    If I remember correctly, the running base of the 120 (the bit that sits on the snow) was symmetrical, and the binding was dead centre of this. But the tip was longer than the tail, giving the appearance of a directional board, but was in reality symmetrical. I suspect the Crossbow is the same?
    This is exactly what I am trying to describe with the Crossbows.

Leave a comment:

• valmorel
    replied
    If I remember correctly, the running base of the 120 (the bit that sits on the snow) was symmetrical, and the binding was dead centre of this. But the tip was longer than the tail, giving the appearance of a directional board, but was in reality symmetrical. I suspect the Crossbow is the same?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    Can you guys snap a photo from the side with the skis on a level surface, like a table, to see the side profile?
    See below. These are just some quick shots with my iPhone. I would taken better reference shots on my workbench but the background would have been very cluttered and there is a 7th grade Science project currently in residence. The tip of the board is facing right:

(I inserted these as embedded Flickr files so if you click on them you can get to the higher res originals)

Full Board

Spruce Crossbow Profile (Tail -- Tip)

Tip

Spruce Crossbow (Tip)

Tail

Spruce Crossbow (Tail)

But weren't these supposed to be symmetrical?
    Only Jeff can comment for sure on the design but he has never made a symmetrical board. Even the 120s are directional though it's barely noticeable. I have not measured them but to my eye the tip raises higher than the tail (not the rocker but the portion beyond the sidecut). The side cut at the tip seems to stop sooner than the tail. When you stack these reversed you can see the differences in symmetry (or lack thereof).

I can post a photo of the side profile tonight (unless Wookie beats me to it).
    You are a better photographer than I am so please feel free to post some pics when you can.

These boards are symmetrical in the width profile (138-112-138), but the tips appear to have quite a bit more rocker in them showing them to be naturally a more directional board as Wookie mentioned.
    The side cut is 138-112-138 but I think the widest part of the tip is slightly further back from the end than the widest part of the tail. Please compare your boards and verify. I suspect that the setback position, like the SIIs, will feel like the more natural center of the skiboard. Testing this week to vet that out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X