X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kocho
    replied
    Jeff,

Does the Crossbow rocker and sidecut work similarly to the Osprey, in that pretty much the entire length of the edge engages with just a slight angulation, but the ends do not pressure as hard as the center initially, then they do pressure more with more angulation?

The Osprey does feel more sluggish than SII to pivot and change direction (in the sense like a longer, heavier ski vs. a shorter one would). The SII feels slow to react vs. an 88cm board. Where would the Crossbow fit on that spectrum? Closer to Osprey or SII in that "quickness" to react scale?

On a side note, the 120 and Sherpa have the entire edge engaged pretty much all the time. They have relatively more tip and tail pressure than rockered designs (which may be better in some cases, less good in others, just different). For me, I like the consistently strong stability and edge hold on the Sherpa, yet I also like the progressively [dis]engaging edge on the Ospreys too. I find both easy to ski, the Osprey is more forgiving and less edgy, more eager to keep the tips on top of powder, the Sherpa is more energetic and strong. The SII is considerably easier to flick around than either of them or the 120, but any of these three will leave me less tired at the end of a day than the SII...

Leave a comment:

• valmorel
    replied
    Of all the boards I ever rode, I found the 120 the least tiring. As you know Jeff, I have had a difficult year with my health and had come to the conclusion that it was time to stop skiing. Well I am pleased to say I have felt a little stronger lately so have booked a 3 day trip to see how it goes. In light of the above I am taking the Stickies, but also my 2004 prototype 120 warhorse.
    From what folks are saying though, I should be on Crossbows. Oh well . . . .

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• jsinger
    replied
    Crossbow & Spruce 120

I had an old pair of 120s tuned up last season and they rode much better than a stock board. (Much more precise turns.) The difference between the 120 and the Crossbow (using six months of memory) was that the rocker of the Crossbow makes it MUCH easier to initiate turns with. The 120 was a design from 2004 when the concept of putting rocker in a board for frontside rec. use was sheer lunacy. It's still a pleasing board for me to ride in good snow, but it doesn't have the "fun factor" of a short rockered board.

Leave a comment:

• Tom91381
    replied
    Originally posted by jsinger View Post
    . The tip and tail height is more than pretty much all other skiboards, so the base length is actually 118cm but the tip-to-tip "Spruce Length" is right at 115cm. The running length from wide-point at the tip to wide point at the tail is 93 cm but you'll only be on all of that length in a pretty deep faster-speed carve. Compared to Ickys, this is a bigger board that isn't quite as quick.
    To me they felt faster, could that be that I felt that I could slow at any point when needed?
    I know that those who asked for these boards were from taller and probably stronger skiers then I but me at a whopping 5’9” and 155 lbs I had no problem throwing them bum back and forth down the steepest and hardest that Mammoth had to offer.
    I had a hard time with some wider and shorter boards in the same conditions, so these are great boards for anyone IMO. Thanks for listening to those on this board that wanted this board and I hope they sell well.
    Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• jsinger
    replied
    A few on-snow thoughts

I've taken my own Crossbows out twice now in conditions that were "decent cold snow" with packed powder one day and a bit scratchy on the second. At the risk of sounding like a shameless promotion, I'll offer my impressions. Because I don't often ride boards that are shorter than about 125cm, I wasn't sure what to expect with these boards. What surprised me was that they were very easy turning and yet would hold a firm edge once set up in the turn. Much more fun for me than even Ospreys which are pretty quick but those really felt much longer to me when I rode them on back-to-back runs with the Crossbows. I expected that the Crossbows would be a decent board, but they were a lot better than I expected. They are symmetric on-snow and the tip is longer than the tail, so they look directional. The fact that they have rocker at both ends allows them to be very easy turning but also helps eliminate the tail "hookiness" that a short board with a small radius sometimes has. The tip and tail height is more than pretty much all other skiboards, so the base length is actually 118cm but the tip-to-tip "Spruce Length" is right at 115cm. The running length from wide-point at the tip to wide point at the tail is 93 cm but you'll only be on all of that length in a pretty deep faster-speed carve. Compared to Ickys, this is a bigger board that isn't quite as quick, but I liked the edge feel in a turn as it's stable and quieter yet the board still feels very playful when turned. Who knows? Maybe I'll become a short board addict in my old age. Actually, that depends mostly now on what the skiboard community wants. That's where the Crossbow came from and I think it was a great idea.

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Macro or Wookie,

Can you compare to the 120?

Also, is the additional length felt vs. the SIIs? More or similar float in soft snow?

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied
    Originally posted by valmorel View Post
    Thus far, not a bad word being said about the Crossbow.
    I’m on day 4 of the Crossbows and you won’t hear anything bad from me. I’ve had a few guys direct message me and ask what my unfiltered thoughts were - was there anything bad or not so good that I was holding back from saying on the forum. NOPE! For me, these boards will keep me skiboarding - I’ve been accumulating more skis than skiboards over the past couple of seasons, and REALLY enjoy the skis I’ve purchased. But the Crossbows have definitely kept me firmly in love with the concept of skiboarding! I can’t wait to get these in some powder and confirm their all day, any day, all-Mountain capabilities that I was dreaming of. I tend to bring many boards and skis to the mountain but actually dislike switching out mid day for conditions - I’d much rather just keep riding. So far these are passing the tests!

Leave a comment:

• valmorel
    replied
    Thus far, not a bad word being said about the Crossbow. This has the feel of another huge success along the lines of the Stickies.

Leave a comment:

• valmorel
    replied
    I did actually fit a set of extra inserts to my Spliffs but oddly prefer to ride them centre. Seems most prefer them set back though, especially for powder.

Leave a comment:

• sempai
    replied
    Originally posted by Wookie View Post
    I love the graphics and got a really good pair in that first batch. I just wish they had the same setback feature for release bindings that the SIIs have. I may ultimately add a set of inserts.
    Yep, I really like the graphics too and wish they had the setback inserts. If they did, I'd give them a second chance and buy another pair.

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    Spruce Mountain Skiboards - 115 CM Crossbow Longboards

Originally posted by sempai View Post
    I've had my RCs up for sale for a while. Thought they would have sold by now, but they haven't. I keep thinking it might be a sign that I should keep them....
    I know. If they were the 2013 Dogfight graphics or 2015 Global Warming graphics I would have jumped on them. The Drooling Clouds don’t really do anything for me. Also there is a voice in my head (that sounds a lot like my wife) that keeps reminding me the Spliffs have a very similar footprint.

Even if the Crossbows outperform the Spliffs in deep snow I’ll likely keep them in the collection. I love the graphics and got a really good pair in that first batch. I just wish they had the same setback feature for release bindings that the SIIs have. I may ultimately add a set of inserts.

Leave a comment:

• sempai
    replied
    I regret selling my RCs last year. Should have kept them for deep days but they were sitting on the shelf and found a good home with the Boho crew.
    I've had my RCs up for sale for a while. Thought they would have sold by now, but they haven't. I keep thinking it might be a sign that I should keep them. They have provided me a lot of fun over the years. I just don't get that many chances to use them. Even when we do get powder, it's easier to go with the Sherpas or even the XLs for more fore/aft stability.

Any other questions? [emoji848]
    No, not at this time. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Thanks W. Any comparison with how they ski vs. 120, one of your favorites?

I can't help but wonder why the shape of the tail is not tucked-in like the nose is (powder ski style). I feel the slight reduction in width in the tip and tail area when they are narrower would help minimize bumping and catching the ends against each other (and probably saves half an oz of weight ). Also, the significant height of the tip and tail - can anyone offer a benefit of it compared to lower ends like say on a Blunt XL?

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    So many questions .... but good ones ... see below

Wookie, do you normally ride the SIIs center or set back?
    I ride the SIIs setback and only setback. The SIIs will tip dive under my large hairy frame if I encounter any piled up soft snow and I’m not paying attention. I can ride them fine centered but really need to pay attention to stay out of trouble. Riding setback allows me to ride more relaxed.

So the Crossbows are softer than the Ickys?
    At the tip and tail yes but I think the core of the board under foot is very similar, in stiffness, to the SIIs. It’s like Jeff added soft crud busters to the tips and tails of the SIIs.

You say you're keeping the Spliffs for pow. Does that mean you think the Spliffs would be better on deeper days than the Crossbows?
    I don’t know but I like the Spliffs in deeper snow especially in tight glades. I regretted not bringing them on one Colorado trip last year and was riding the SIIs in deep snow which may be fine for a smaller riders but not my 200+ lb load. I actually regret selling my RCs last year. Should have kept them for deep days but they were sitting on the shelf and found a good home with the Boho crew.

Any other questions? [emoji848]

Leave a comment:

• sempai
    replied
    Wookie, do you normally ride the SIIs center or set back? So the Crossbows are softer than the Ickys? You say you're keeping the Spliffs for pow. Does that mean you think the Spliffs would be better on deeper days than the Crossbows?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X