• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jjue
    replied
    Crossbows in pow

DSC_0071

Finally got some pow at Kirkwood , not hero pow , but wonderful off piste nasty snow , in the back bowl crust over heavy wet snow , off the steep Wall run , heavy wet pow over firm , in the trees more heavy crusty snow and some refrozen crud iall of it in very poor visibility and steep unforgiving ,challenging terrain.
    And on top of that after snowing in the morning it started raining making the conditions even more interesting , ha , ha , all the skiers and the snowboarders were saying how bad the conditions were.
    I wanted to test my new Crossbows in this junk and set them back on the rear inserts . Didn't know what to expect , brought along my Sherpa and Spliffs as back up . Never needed them . The Crossbows were a true delight and one of the most fun and competent skiboards I have ever ridden. In the nasty crusty pow , it was easy to just put the two boards together and ride the firm supportative tails , the rocker and the set back just brought the tips right out of the snow . I bounced up and down on the tails and easily unweighted and turned the boards in the resistant snow . Kind of reminded me of how I used to ski the short ski Hagans but seemed floatier and easier then I remember the Hagans . In difficult snow the Crossbows work exactly like a nice all mountain long ski but much easier to control and much easier to turn . In the firm stuff and moguls the Crossbows even when set back have excellent edge control and do not wash out just need to lean forward more then center mount . All in all the Crossbows are a chamelon . Center mount they feel like a 110 skiboard , rear mounted like a big 125 wide bodied longboard . Valmorel and I have talked about how the mark of a great skiboard is one that allows the rider to flow down the mountain without interfering with the ride . I would one up that by saying a truly great skiboard is one that allows the rider to flow down the mountain in conditions that make other riders cry with a big smile on one's face . That is what happened to me this morning . The Crossbow is a magnificent all mountain skiboard. I would say ridden in the set back inserts it really shines in off piste terrain when you ride it skier style , with unweighting , and the help of poles . Ridden center mount it shines like a traditional skiboard and just turns easily without unweighting and although I carry poles you don't really need them .
    Just a fantastic cross board that can be ridden skiboard style or skier style , no worries and uber competent. Maybe I have a new favorite all condition board !!!

Leave a comment:

• jjue
    replied
    Center mount nice !

Rode the Crossbows again today with the Envy soft boot system on the Spruce riser at Diamond Peak , nice long groomed run to test that had mixture of icy areas , mounds of softening snow and steeps . Initially rode rear set and then center mount . A word first about the Envy system , I really like it and it is comfortable , and performs similiar to a soft recreational ski boot . As I spend more time on it , I do think that my Full Tilts do give a bit more precise control but the Envy frame and my snowboard boot is more comfortable . I don't notice the extra weight much . Switching from rear set to center mount was a revelation for me . While I liked the Crossbows rear set , center mount seemed much better for me . Easier turning , even more edge control , less need to lean into the tips of the board , ok to have a more upright stance, and easier slarving , seems like I can flatten the camber better .
    Has much more of the feel of a smaller skiboard then rear mounted . I think I will prefer this board center mounted except in deep snow . Still nicely handled the mounds of soft snow center mounted , So in the end I agree with Wookie , although I like my Sticky rear mounted better then center , I do prefer my Crossbow center mounted more then rear mounted.
    DSC_0070

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    Originally posted by Fun Machine View Post
    Do these Crossbows take the 110mm Attack 13 brakes?
    I am using standard 110mm brakes and they work fine though my brakes have been ‘bent’ out a bit by hand over the years to accommodate other boards. You should not need the extra wide 130mm breaks.

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fun Machine View Post
    Good question. Hopefully Jeff can answer this one. I’m using Attack 13s with 130mm brakes. I would think 110mm brakes should clear since the waist is only 2mm wider and with the riser the brakes are actually wider than rated at the plane where they cross the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Fun Machine
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wjeong
    replied
    All right! Ordered a pair.

Leave a comment:

• jjue
    replied
    Originally posted by wjeong View Post
    Jack,
    You ride them with the Envy boot or full tilts? I may have to add a pair of these to my pile of boards everything is so positive about them.
    Full tilts for my first day out, will try Envy next time out

Leave a comment:

• wjeong
    replied
    Originally posted by jjue View Post
    Able to ride the crossbow at Squaw today , firm snow turning softer in afternoon warm snow , very similar to spring conditons in the Sierra , although Squaw and other Tahoe resorts have not gotten much snow at all after initial dump in Nov the Sherpa and more manuverable in moguls and feels quicker edge to edge . It is similar to the Osprey in ease of t urning and slarving have better edge hold for me then the 120 and also more plavful and easier to turn . I am a believer that waist
    I am currently torn about a quiver choice ...
    quiver #1 will be stickies and spliffs with non releaser
    quiver #2 will be Crossbows and Sherpa with spruce riser

quiver #1 if I am riding with skiboarders
    quiver #2 if I am riding with skiers and snowboarders who are expert ability
    Jack,
    You ride them with the Envy boot or full tilts? I may have to add a pair of these to my pile of boards everything is so positive about them.

Leave a comment:

• jjue
    replied
    Crossbow at Squaw

Able to ride the crossbow at Squaw today , firm snow turning softer in afternoon warm snow , very similar to spring conditons in the Sierra , although Squaw and other Tahoe resorts have not gotten much snow at all after initial dump in November , Squaw had
    a lot of varied terrain open including steeps , moguls and off piste skier packed crud . I really enjoyed the Crossbows. I rode them set back . I ride the Ospreys center mount , the Sherpa rear mounted and the Stickies rear mounted . I mostly ride the Stickies with non release bindings . My all around favorite ski board is the Spliff ridden rear mounted with non releasers. My all around favorite longboard skiboard is the Sherpa . Today I was in the company of family all of whom are expert skiers on the long skis , ski fast , or expert snowboarders who also ski fast . and much younger and with more stamina then me . I ride leaning forward like a skier and use poles on all my boards and initiate turns like a skiers do with a pole plant . What follows are just my impressions based on my style of riding .
    For me the Crossbow skis bigger then I expected , to me it did not feel small at all . In fact set back of course , it has the same amount of skiboard in front of you as a center mount 125 . It's width at 112 matches the Osprey or the Sherpa but has smaller tips . I will give some comparisons . The Crossbow has edge hold in icy snow on par or better then the Sherpa but is way easier to turn then the Sherpa and more manuverable in moguls and feels quicker edge to edge . It is similar to the Osprey in ease of turning and slarving and sliding but feels like it has a more positive carve and is more manuverable and quicker edge to edge .
    Compared to the Sticky it feels significantly bigger to me and certainly for me has more of the longboard feel like the Osprey or the Sherpa then the Sticky which is ultra manuverable and very light on my feet of course with non release lighter binding.
    Compared tot the Sticky the tip seems to be softer and have a bit more rocker , in charging through broken crud the tips seem to float up and over the snow more then the Sticky which kind of plows through much like the Sherpa does . It is also more stable at speed in rough snow then the Sticky and damps down vibrations etc more then the sticky The Crossbow has more of that Osprey feel in the soft stuff . The board seems over all more to my liking then the Raptor which felt narrower to me and had more flexible tips . I also like it better then the 120 , seems to have better edge hold for me then the 120 and also more plavful and easier to turn . I am a believer that waist width has alot to do with performance in off piste snow and I definitely think that the Crossbow will be better for me in the soft stuff then the Sticky , certainly not the float of the Osprey and the Sherpa with big tips and longer length but should be quite fun and competent as an all mountain board . Compared to the Spliff it is longer and less manuverable in rough terrain but like the sticky carves better and quicker edge to edge on firm snow .
    I am currently torn about a quiver choice ...
    quiver #1 will be stickies and spliffs with non releaser
    quiver #2 will be Crossbows and Sherpa with spruce riser

quiver #1 if I am riding with skiboarders
    quiver #2 if I am riding with skiers and snowboarders who are expert ability

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied

True dat!

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
    Wookie-ism? Universal snow-sliding truth? Both?

The Way of the Wookie ..... OM!

Leave a comment:

• Fedfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Wookie View Post
    No matter what you are riding it’s the right board if it keeps you on the mountain with a smile on your face. [emoji3]
    Wookie-ism? Universal snow-sliding truth? Both?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
    So said the hockey goalie. . .
    If you don’t think goalies can skate you try rolling around the ice in 45lbs of bulky gear and do it with laser like precision.

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
    These are really easy to skate in my opinion
    So says the guy that has been cruising the mountain on 154cm E2s most of last season. Those things are built like 2x4s. Anything would feel easy to skate after those.

All friendly ribbing and jokes aside I should clarify .... the Crossbows are slightly harder to skate only when compared to the 120s, the SIIs, and short cambered boards but that is to be expected. They are by no means impossible or difficult to skate just not quite as easy as shorter, stiffer boarders.

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied
    Originally posted by Wookie View Post
    What you lose with this is skating power. If you ride with poles you’ll never notice it but if you go poleless and get stuck on a long flat section you’ll feel it but it’s minor.
    So said the hockey goalie. . .

These are really easy to skate in my opinion - said the hockey defenseman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    Originally posted by Kocho View Post
    Can you compare to the 120?…
    Jeff’s answer, inserted below, pretty much covers the main difference but I’ll add that many riders would detune their 120s to make them less “hooky”. The Crossbows eliminate any need to do that. They initiate turns with ease and are easy to spin. What you lose with this is skating power. If you ride with poles you’ll never notice it but if you go poleless and get stuck on a long flat section you’ll feel it but it’s minor.

Originally posted by jsinger View Post
    …The difference between the 120 and the Crossbow was that the rocker of the Crossbow makes it MUCH easier to initiate turns with. ….
    Originally posted by Kocho View Post
    …Also, is the additional length felt vs. the SIIs? More or similar float in soft snow?
    Yes, the added length is noticed in a few aspects. They float better under a large rider, some of this comes from the high tip which works as a crud buster. On the carve you can definitely feel a longer edge engaged. Lastly you have a bit more tip and tail support.

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
    Of all the boards I ever rode, I found the 120 the least tiring. As you know Jeff, I have had a difficult year with my health and had come to the conclusion that it was time to stop skiing. Well I am pleased to say I have felt a little stronger lately so have booked a 3 day trip to see how it goes. In light of the above I am taking the Stickies, but also my 2004 prototype 120 warhorse.
    From what folks are saying though, I should be on Crossbows. Oh well . . . .
    No matter what you are riding it’s the right board if it keeps you on the mountain with a smile on your face. [emoji3]

Leave a comment:

Working...
X