X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wjeong
    replied
    Originally posted by wjeong View Post
    Wow! Your daughter is really some skier.
    By the way, after today the Crossbow is the only board I really need to ride any condition on a mountain. I killed enormous amount of powder today.

Leave a comment:

• wjeong
    replied
    Originally posted by Wookie View Post
    Agreed. These runs are tests of concentration. One slip up (pun intended) and your are likely sliding down the run until one of the breaks.

One time when we skied it my daughter had a binding release. She and I spent about 30 minutes after that climbing down about half the run to collect her ski and then trying to find a flat(ish) spot to put our skis back on.

It's a fun challenge but you need to be on your game especially when it's race prepped. It gives you new respect for ski racers that fly down it at 60+ mph. When we, mere mortals, ski it we can take our time and pick our turns . Racers are flying and forced into turns across the steep pitch. I was definitely not made out to be a ski racer but the interesting thing is my youngest, no matter the conditions, will hit this run and just let her skis go. She is typically sitting at a table at Talon's, enjoying a coke, and looking refreshed by the time the rest of the family joins her. She doesn't understand what takes us so long. She says since you cannot stop on that run, why try? She is ski racer 'crazy'.
    Wow! Your daughter is really some skier.

Leave a comment:

• Ukuvox
    replied
    Originally posted by Wookie View Post
    I was definitely not made out to be a ski racer but the interesting thing is my youngest, no matter the conditions, will hit this run and just let her skis go. She is typically sitting at a table at Talon's, enjoying a coke, and looking refreshed by the time the rest of the family joins her. She doesn't understand what takes us so long. She says since you cannot stop on that run, why try? She is ski racer 'crazy'.
    Some days, I miss those youthful feelings of invincibility/immortality.
    And on other days, I'm glad that those feelings didn't keep me from reaching the age I am now!

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    That puts some perspective on it!

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    Originally posted by jjue View Post
    ..... What I don't like about a slope like this is that in firm race prepped conditions there is a lot of exposure in that if you make a mistake and lose an edge and go down , you will likely unable to be able to stop your fall and will acellerate rapidly and because it is so long it can be quite dangerous.
    Agreed. These runs are tests of concentration. One slip up (pun intended) and your are likely sliding down the run until one of the breaks.

One time when we skied it my daughter had a binding release. She and I spent about 30 minutes after that climbing down about half the run to collect her ski and then trying to find a flat(ish) spot to put our skis back on.

It's a fun challenge but you need to be on your game especially when it's race prepped. It gives you new respect for ski racers that fly down it at 60+ mph. When we, mere mortals, ski it we can take our time and pick our turns . Racers are flying and forced into turns across the steep pitch. I was definitely not made out to be a ski racer but the interesting thing is my youngest, no matter the conditions, will hit this run and just let her skis go. She is typically sitting at a table at Talon's, enjoying a coke, and looking refreshed by the time the rest of the family joins her. She doesn't understand what takes us so long. She says since you cannot stop on that run, why try? She is ski racer 'crazy'.

Leave a comment:

• jjue
    replied
    Thanks Wookie for the perspective. When we did it yesterday it was groomed , very steep , no moguls , and with a warning sign that it had been race prepped . Luckily it had snowed a bit so there was some edgeable snow over very firm snow though in some sections the edgeable snow had been skied or blown off and it was icy . I found a narrow strip of soft snow at the extreme edge of the slope which was actually kind of , sort of fun , ha ,ha . Wendell and I were on Crossbows the other skiers in Wendell's ski club group were on long skis. I think in this kind of a slope the longer effective edge of long skis really helps . It was a really good test that the Crossbows have good edge hold ,however, and Wendell and I got down without any mishap. What I don't like about a slope like this is that in firm race prepped conditions there is a lot of exposure in that if you make a mistake and lose an edge and go down , you will likely unable to be able to stop your fall and will acellerate rapidly and because it is so long it can be quite dangerous.

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
    What's special/unique about Golden Eagle run?
    Originally posted by sempai View Post
    Golden Eagle: a signature section of the men’s World Cup and World downhill course—after it’s been groomed will make anyone feel like a race pro. Get to it by taking a right at the top of Birds of Prey Express Lift and experience pitches so steep they might make you dizzy if you stare down them too long. It’s best to just dig in your edges and commit to the thrill ride, claiming your EpicMix Birds of Prey badge in the process.
    Translation -- It's pretty freaking hairy! The BOP Downhill course from top to bottom is about 2,500 ft of vertical drop over it's 1.7mile length. The steepest it gets is a 45% which happens on parts of Golden Eagle. Beaver Creek usually lets this run develop moguls to slow rec skiers down. When they prep it for racing they groom it then treat the snow to get it to effectively ice up. That icy base is always under it since the Beav is an early stop on the World Cup Circuit. To give you an idea of how steep and icy it can be, when they groom it, they need to use "winch cats". They snow cats anchor to a concert pylon since it is too steep for them to climb on their own tracks.

I have ridden it in three states: Groomed/Icy (I'll never do this again), Moguls (A ton of work and you really need to take your time or you get going too fast), and Powder/First Tracks (This was a blast, with it's steep pitch you could float on skiboards no bigger than your boots).

For some prospective here are some videos:

This is a quick clip of a racer going off the Golden Eagle jump where it transitions to a steep pitch

This is ski through by Hans Knauss of ORF TV Austria. He hits the Golden Eagle Jump around the 1:50 mark but the entire run is the Golden Eagle Trail. Rec skiers typically cannot jump the Golden Eagle Jump as they fence off this transition to force you to slow down (and then come to grips with the drop off as you stare down it). As steep as it looks in parts of this video it feels steeper. Notice the angle of the trees and race gates to the pitch.

The best part of this run is Talon's Restaurant at the base where you get get a beer and sit on the outdoor deck on blue bird days. Most of the runs that end at Talon's are expert runs so it keeps the crowds down. When at the Beav my kids love to ski Redtail, to Goshawk, to the very end of Golden Eagle. This makes for a fun "blue" run but you can say you skied a world cup downhill course.

Leave a comment:

• sempai
    replied

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    Golden Eagle: a signature section of the men’s World Cup and World downhill course—after it’s been groomed will make anyone feel like a race pro. Get to it by taking a right at the top of Birds of Prey Express Lift and experience pitches so steep they might make you dizzy if you stare down them too long. It’s best to just dig in your edges and commit to the thrill ride, claiming your EpicMix Birds of Prey badge in the process.

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied
    Really tested the Crossbow edges today. JJue and I rode them down Golden Eagle at Beaver Creek. We would have been in deep dodoo if the edges didn't hold. I don't need to ever do this run again.
    Since you were able to write about it, the edges must have held well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    Really tested the Crossbow edges today. JJue and I rode them down Golden Eagle at Beaver Creek. We would have been in deep dodoo if the edges didn't hold. I don't need to ever do this run again.

Leave a comment:

• wjeong
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wjeong
    replied
    Rode them setback today at Beaver Creek in a foot of powder. There were a lot of big steep soft moguls at the end of the day. They handled everything. A lot of power in a very compact package. I love them.

Leave a comment:

• Fun Machine
    replied
    If I had to ride powder 90% of the day I might set them back, but for continual swapping between piste and side-piste, center-mount is more than adequate.
    The Spruce riser has several mounting points in ~17mm increments for the bindings. If yours are not attached to the rear-most holes, you can shift the mounted position of the binding to riser so that you effectively get a set back that is between the center of the board and the setback position on the board. One of my riser sets is mounted this way. Standard warnings about violating your warranty, damaging your bindings and risers, etc apply.

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    We had snow throughout the night. This morning anything not groomed was probably above skiboot deep.

I rode them center-mounted all the way and they bubbled to the top as long as I sat back.

In this kind of conditions the 120s are no longer a match for the Crossbows. No powder burn in the legs lime with the 120s.

If I had to ride powder 90% of the day I might set them back, but for continual swapping between piste and side-piste, center-mount is more than adequate.

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    Originally posted by valmorel View Post
    Thanks Bill. If you love them, so would I. [emoji6]
    It would shock me if you didn't like these big time, Dave. They're responsive and nuanced, but at the same time not overly sensitive. In my mind, they're what an on-spec DS110 could have been, the difference is they actually exist! Jeff has hit it out of the ball park here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X