X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sempai
    replied
    Originally posted by CANtoo View Post
    Day 2: Chad tried them center. Needless to say, he will NOT be borrowing these from me. Not a fan.
    Have Chad try them setback. He might like them better. I wasn't a fan at first either, but these became my go-to boards by the second half of last season.

Leave a comment:

• CANtoo
    replied
    Crossbow Convert

Ok, guys, last month I stayed up way too late on a work night reading this entire thread on the Crossbows out of curiosity. By the end, I was on the Spruce Mountain site ordering a pair, so thanks a LOT!.
    Day 1: center-mounted WITH POLES on all groomers due to no new snow. First run I felt "meh" bc they were not "fun" like the XL's (you guys know I love the ALP/DLP, but I am a recent convert to the XL's as well); however, as the legs loosened up, I found that the faster and steeper, the better these got. The little "pop" I got on the turns thanks to the camber was a lot of fun, because with that edge I could really dig in and push them without fear of sliding out. When the top of the mountain got windblown and scraped off (grrrr snowboarders!!), these held no problem.
    Day 2: Chad tried them center. He is the slarve king, maneuvering those XL's and rockered Condors like he's barely touching the snow. Needless to say, he will NOT be borrowing these from me. Not a fan. I rode the 125 LE's and had a blast.
    Day 3: I rode Crossbows set back in 11 inches of new snow. With almost no visibility, we stuck to trees and a lower bowl to have a reference point and avoid vertigo. The Crossbows are all that and a bag of chips in pow. They turn quickly and never get going too fast in trees (which sometimes happens to me on the Ospreys). Again, when the top of the mountain started getting to be blown off crust, the edge was still solid. On the groomer I may even prefer them set back because you can lean forward pretty aggressively and pop into powder any time you want without feeling like you'll pitch forward (PERFECT amount of rocker!)
    Day 4: Rode these again.
    In the end, I don't think we will ever be able to thank Jeff and Greco enough for the years of fun thanks to them engineering those risers and bindings and coming up with fabulous boards (makes it waaaay too easy to buy another pair I don't need when I can just pop my current bindings on them!) The Crossbows are a brilliant design giving stability and all-condition riding in a light, fun, comfortable (thanks to camber) package. Center mounted on groomers they felt rock-solid stable like the Sherpas but tons lighter and a little easier to turn. Even though carrying poles is a pain in the ass, these are fun riding "ski-style," and poles come in handy when it gets deep. I think they even replace my classic soft ALPs and those gorgeous eyeball DLPs. I'll probably sell those 110s, so RickyLink, you get first dibs on the softies!

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    Black.......unless there is a little complimentary red in your boots....

Leave a comment:

• Tom91381
    replied
    Originally posted by 1806 View Post
    What minimal ski brake 95/100/110/130 I can use with Crossbow with attack+risers?
    Anybody use Crossbow with green attack binding? please add photo

How about red or black ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm just the FNG--== ****ing new guy

Leave a comment:

• Fun Machine
    replied
    What minimal ski brake 95/100/110/130 I can use with Crossbow with attack+risers?
    If you're using Attack 13s the 110mm PowerBrake2 is a tight fit but will work with Crossbows. You can bend the arms a degree or two for peace of mind. The Attack 11s have 115mm brakes that don't need to be bent. These latest brakes tuck in narrower when retracted so you can even go with 130 or 150mm brakes if you want to swap the riser onto wider boards later.

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    Anybody use Crossbow with red or green attack binding? please add photo
    The Crossbows are 112cm under foot but work with the standard 115cm brakes that come with the Spruce Pro Sport risers/bindings (you might need to bend the brakes a bit but it's better than the jump to the 130cm brakes). I have used them with an older set of risers that have the Tyrolia SL100 bindings on them and the 115cm brakes.

Leave a comment:

replied

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    Originally posted by jjue View Post
    .... Just for my style of riding the Crossbows have been the best so far as a quiver of one .
    Same here.

Leave a comment:

• jjue
    replied
    Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Thanks, got it for the poles question.

So, could the Crossbows replace the two skiboard quiver of Ickys and Sherpas ?
    Yes it has for me . I really love the Ickys in firm snow , and the Sherpa in deep pow . The Crossbows are a compromise , not as much float as the Sherpa , not as nimble as the Ickys but as an all arounder they are fantastic and I don't have to think about which board to bring out or worry about what condition I will be in . On the Icky's there have been days when off piste I regretted not being on the Sherpas and there have been days when I was on the Sherpa on firm snow that I regretted being not being on the Ickys but on the Crossbows it just seems perfect.
    ps I have always been looking for that quiver of one board and there have been really good skiboards that were close to that mark , particularly Blunt xls , Rockered Condors , and Spliffs and Sherpas . For me the Ickys were never going to be that quiver of one board but more of a specialty board because it was lacking for me in pow and crud but the others were very good as all purpose boards . Just for my style of riding the Crossbows have been the best so far as a quiver of one .

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    Thanks, got it for the poles question.

So, could the Crossbows replace the two skiboard quiver of Ickys and Sherpas ?

Leave a comment:

• rickylink
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill View Post
    It's just me, but having ridden the Crossbows both ways---with and without poles--- I prefer them without the poles. After a few pole-toting runs, I was wishing the poles had been left in the truck. Like you, I (often) use poles with Sherpas.

To my way of thinking Crossbows are a lot like the SII's with all the good qualities, an edge in stability/float and equal in maneuverability. They ride small but perform big. Something about the SII/Crossbow profile hits a sweet spot.
    I like my Crossbows pole/less..[emoji16]

Rick ><)))°>

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    And, I ride the Ickys poleless, but do ride the Sherpa with poles. Where do the Crossbows fall in regards to pole use?
    It's just me, but having ridden the Crossbows both ways---with and without poles--- I prefer them without the poles. After a few pole-toting runs, I was wishing the poles had been left in the truck. Like you, I (often) use poles with Sherpas.

To my way of thinking Crossbows are a lot like the SII's with all the good qualities, an edge in stability/float and equal in maneuverability. They ride small but perform big. Something about the SII/Crossbow profile hits a sweet spot.

Leave a comment:

• macrophotog
    replied
    Out on the Crossbows again today in lots of slush and mounded up snow with ice patches being revealed as the day goes on. The Crossbows, as everyone has mentioned, are perfect for these conditions - blasting their way through anything I come upon and then able to transition into excellent edge hold as I hit ice patches. Also, very playful - having fun jumping off little mounds of snow when I want to!

Leave a comment:

• sempai
    replied
    And, I ride the Ickys poleless, but do ride the Sherpa with poles. Where do the Crossbows fall in regards to pole use?
    I choose to use poles with my Sherpas depending on the resort and conditions. There's nothing saying you can't use poles with the Crossbows. Jack does. It might come down to me using them with mine someday, but for now I'm riding them without.

Skiboards are never going to have the edge hold of skis. Skis have more surface area to work with. To me the Ickys have excellent edge hold for being skiboards. They are stiffer than the Crossbows and probably have a tiny bit more hold relative to their size. The Crossbows certainly hold their own on hard pack, especially mounted center. It's all subjective. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently.

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    Here's the million dollar question, well, maybe the $309 dollar question;

This season I feel like I have found the perfect two board quiver. The Ickys are fast fun and nimble, a great front side groomer, carver, bump, glade, light powder all purpose resort skiboard. Then the Shepras, crud busting, heavy powder, stable, easy to ride Cadillacs. The only caveat being the hard pack grip I get from my narrow Kastle skis, cannot be beaten by any skiboard/blade/longboard.

So, do the Crossbows replace my two skiboard quiver of the Ickys and Sherpas, or just become another board that just averages the combined range of performance, without really exceeding it. If you know what I mean.

Personal usage opinion. I used poles with the Crossbows one day as I knew the resort I was going to has a number if flat sections. However, I found the poles got in the way once we hi the steeps or the trees. So no poles for me.

As to Sherpas, I cannot directly compare as I own Ospreys instead. I would only carry poles with them when going off-piste.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X