• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wookie View Post

Perhaps it's time for a yardsale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Wookie View Post
      Final parting thoughts on the Crossbows as the season wraps up:

3) Improvements -- What would I change about the Crossbows? Actually, nothing! Jeff had worried that they were too soft. I think they are perfect. I had worried that they were too short. Again, I think they are perfect. They are truly a great package for those of us that speed more time cruising the mountain than playing in the park. .... )
      Agreed! The thing I am most surprised about is how good they are in deep pow ,and cut up broken pow, in fact in all kinds of off piste conditions and in the backcountry and I am not a little person either , Wookie .
      When I looked at the specs , I just didn't think they would have enough surface area to be to my liking , I thought they would be primarily a groomer type of board, I was dead wrong ... they are a huge delight both on and off the groomed snow !!
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjue View Post
        Agreed! The thing I am most surprised about is how good they are in deep pow ,and cut up broken pow, in fact in all kinds of off piste conditions and in the backcountry and I am not a little person either , Wookie .
        When I looked at the specs , I just didn't think they would have enough surface area to be to my liking , I thought they would be primarily a groomer type of board, I was dead wrong ... they are a huge delight both on and off the groomed snow !!
        Plus one to everything Jack says here. I seldom get a chance to ride in heavy snow, but that’s just what we had at shredfest. I was (pleasantly) shocked at how well the Crossbows handled this…and this is coming from someone who’s even bigger than Jack and a relative novice in these conditions.

Day one at shredfest I rode the Crossbows, but decided to break out a pair of insert-equipped, Spruce riser mounted Armada Triple J’s on day 2. This is a short ski with exaggerated, upturned tips and tails and a short, cambered center section with a running length comparable to the typical skiboard. On hardpack they handle just like regulation skiboards---the tips/tails never touch the snow. Presumably they would be great in the heavy stuff we had at shredfest, but the Crossbows smoked them. The JJJ’s were great in a straight line, they glide over anything, but I’m a coward when it comes to going fast and don’t ride this way. When turning in the soft or deep conditions, the giant tips/tails grab the snow and offer resistance, where the Crossbows slice right through it. It didn’t take long and I was pining for the Crossbows.

It might be that a hard-charging, no-brakes fellow like Sempai would crave a ride like the JJJ’s (subtle hint). Of course, he’s the sort who can make Minute Rice in 57 seconds. But for most mortals, Crossbows are the deal.

Jeff shouldn’t fret that these are too soft. They’re just right. I’ve long thought proper stiffness has less to do with rider size and more to do with riding style. SII’s are great, and Crossbows---a scaled-up version of SII’s--- are even better. An interesting project and logical next step would be taking Crossbow/SII dimensions, flex and camber profile scaled up to Sherpa/Osprey length. A smoother riding Sherpa that’s nimble like the Ospreys? Put me down for several pair ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post
          It might be that a hard-charging, no-brakes fellow like Sempai would crave a ride like the JJJ’s (subtle hint). Of course, he’s the sort who can make Minute Rice in 57 seconds.
          Thanks, I think.

Originally posted by Bill View Post
          Jeff shouldn’t fret that these are too soft. They’re just right. I’ve long thought proper stiffness has less to do with rider size and more to do with riding style. SII’s are great, and Crossbows---a scaled-up version of SII’s--- are even better. An interesting project and logical next step would be taking Crossbow/SII dimensions, flex and camber profile scaled up to Sherpa/Osprey length. A smoother riding Sherpa that’s nimble like the Ospreys? Put me down for several pair ;-)
          I rode the Crossbows today at Mt. Rose. They are truly remarkable boards and perfect as is. With that said, I do like your idea about a Crossbow XL.
          Boards/Bindings:
          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

• I finally had a chance to spend a full day on the Crossbows yesterday. I bought them for my wife to replace her beloved 120s. They've been glued to her feet since she got them, but I managed to steal them yesterday for a solo trip. These things are amazing. I spend most of my time these days on rear mounted Sherpas, so I rode the Crossbows in the setback position. They handled everything with ease and brought back the fun of shorter boards. I'll be buying another pair of these for myself.

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            A smoother riding Sherpa that’s nimble like the Ospreys? Put me down for several pair ;-)
            Yes please!!!!!!

Comment

• I had another incredible day on the Crossbows. I first rode them center then set back. These boards continue to amaze me. It got up to 66 degrees at Mt. Rose today. The snow became mushy, slushy, and grabby. Center mounted the Crossbows did a decent job handling it, but set back they absolutely slayed the spring conditions like no other skiboards I've ridden. Thank you Jeff Singer for making these boards.
              Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

• Here's the million dollar question, well, maybe the $309 dollar question;

This season I feel like I have found the perfect two board quiver. The Ickys are fast fun and nimble, a great front side groomer, carver, bump, glade, light powder all purpose resort skiboard. Then the Shepras, crud busting, heavy powder, stable, easy to ride Cadillacs. The only caveat being the hard pack grip I get from my narrow Kastle skis, cannot be beaten by any skiboard/blade/longboard.

So, do the Crossbows replace my two skiboard quiver of the Ickys and Sherpas, or just become another board that just averages the combined range of performance, without really exceeding it. If you know what I mean.

And, I ride the Ickys poleless, but do ride the Sherpa with poles. Where do the Crossbows fall in regards to pole use?
                Just these, nothing else !

Comment

• Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                  Here's the million dollar question, well, maybe the $309 dollar question;

This season I feel like I have found the perfect two board quiver. The Ickys are fast fun and nimble, a great front side groomer, carver, bump, glade, light powder all purpose resort skiboard. Then the Shepras, crud busting, heavy powder, stable, easy to ride Cadillacs. The only caveat being the hard pack grip I get from my narrow Kastle skis, cannot be beaten by any skiboard/blade/longboard.

So, do the Crossbows replace my two skiboard quiver of the Ickys and Sherpas, or just become another board that just averages the combined range of performance, without really exceeding it. If you know what I mean.

And, I ride the Ickys poleless, but do ride the Sherpa with poles. Where do the Crossbows fall in regards to pole use?
                  Personal usage opinion. I used poles with the Crossbows one day as I knew the resort I was going to has a number if flat sections. However, I found the poles got in the way once we hi the steeps or the trees. So no poles for me.

As to Sherpas, I cannot directly compare as I own Ospreys instead. I would only carry poles with them when going off-piste.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
                  Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                  Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                  Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

I choose to use poles with my Sherpas depending on the resort and conditions. There's nothing saying you can't use poles with the Crossbows. Jack does. It might come down to me using them with mine someday, but for now I'm riding them without.

Skiboards are never going to have the edge hold of skis. Skis have more surface area to work with. To me the Ickys have excellent edge hold for being skiboards. They are stiffer than the Crossbows and probably have a tiny bit more hold relative to their size. The Crossbows certainly hold their own on hard pack, especially mounted center. It's all subjective. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently.
                    Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                    Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

• Out on the Crossbows again today in lots of slush and mounded up snow with ice patches being revealed as the day goes on. The Crossbows, as everyone has mentioned, are perfect for these conditions - blasting their way through anything I come upon and then able to transition into excellent edge hold as I hit ice patches. Also, very playful - having fun jumping off little mounds of snow when I want to!

Comment

It's just me, but having ridden the Crossbows both ways---with and without poles--- I prefer them without the poles. After a few pole-toting runs, I was wishing the poles had been left in the truck. Like you, I (often) use poles with Sherpas.

To my way of thinking Crossbows are a lot like the SII's with all the good qualities, an edge in stability/float and equal in maneuverability. They ride small but perform big. Something about the SII/Crossbow profile hits a sweet spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post
                          It's just me, but having ridden the Crossbows both ways---with and without poles--- I prefer them without the poles. After a few pole-toting runs, I was wishing the poles had been left in the truck. Like you, I (often) use poles with Sherpas.

To my way of thinking Crossbows are a lot like the SII's with all the good qualities, an edge in stability/float and equal in maneuverability. They ride small but perform big. Something about the SII/Crossbow profile hits a sweet spot.
                          I like my Crossbows pole/less..[emoji16]

Rick ><)))°>
                          rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
                          ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

• Thanks, got it for the poles question.

So, could the Crossbows replace the two skiboard quiver of Ickys and Sherpas ?
                            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Thanks, got it for the poles question.

So, could the Crossbows replace the two skiboard quiver of Ickys and Sherpas ?
                              Yes it has for me . I really love the Ickys in firm snow , and the Sherpa in deep pow . The Crossbows are a compromise , not as much float as the Sherpa , not as nimble as the Ickys but as an all arounder they are fantastic and I don't have to think about which board to bring out or worry about what condition I will be in . On the Icky's there have been days when off piste I regretted not being on the Sherpas and there have been days when I was on the Sherpa on firm snow that I regretted being not being on the Ickys but on the Crossbows it just seems perfect.
                              ps I have always been looking for that quiver of one board and there have been really good skiboards that were close to that mark , particularly Blunt xls , Rockered Condors , and Spliffs and Sherpas . For me the Ickys were never going to be that quiver of one board but more of a specialty board because it was lacking for me in pow and crud but the others were very good as all purpose boards . Just for my style of riding the Crossbows have been the best so far as a quiver of one .
                              Boards :
                              Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                              Boots
                              K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                              Bindings:
                              Zero Pro Non release Binding
                              Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                              Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                              Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                              Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjue View Post
                                .... Just for my style of riding the Crossbows have been the best so far as a quiver of one .
                                Same here.
                                Boards:
                                2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                                2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                                2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                                2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                                2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                                2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                                2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                                2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Working...