Spruce Mountain Skiboards - 115 CM Crossbow Longboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jjue View Post
    Hi Rick , Did you really ride them with Receptor non release bindings ???? (The insert pattern is 4 x10 and not 4x4 so as not to allow use of non release skiboard bindings and require use of Spruce riser and release bindings , I thought )
    ps looking forward to riding with you, Barb and your family soon at Shredfest !
    Yes.. Receptors. The receptor has multiple holes. So sliding them in to the forward position I was able to use the other holes in the receptor binding. It worked great. I'll show you at SFX.
    rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
    ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

• Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
      I can just imagine you shredding it on Crossbows with matching loud green pants.
      I have matching pants!

Rick ><)))°>
      rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
      ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Comment

• Originally posted by rickylink View Post
        Yes.. Receptors. The receptor has multiple holes. So sliding them in to the forward position I was able to use the other holes in the receptor binding. It worked great. I'll show you at SFX.
        Wow! Who knew?! If I still had a pair of Receptors, I'd try that with the Sherpas. It would make them feel much lighter. I know it wouldn't be the smartest thing to do, but I still would check it out to experience the difference.
        Boards/Bindings:
        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

• Originally posted by sempai View Post
          Wow! Who knew?! If I still had a pair of Receptors, I'd try that with the Sherpas. It would make them feel much lighter. I know it wouldn't be the smartest thing to do, but I still would check it out to experience the difference.
          No one has ever accused me of being smart.

Rick ><)))°>
          rickylink

~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Comment

• Using the forward most holes and with the heel/toe pice as far back as I can I get 30 back on the Stickies with my receptors

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
            Crossbow (go to dream board)
            Most everything else over time.
            Go Android

Comment

• To add to my earlier review -

I just spent a couple of 50-60F Spring-like days on Crossbows - classic mounds and waves of east coast slush if you will. I would normally be on XLs in this kind of condition and had gotten used to getting ramped into the air - fun but sometimes a little too much "float." Two things really stood out for me on Crossbows. First they did not stick for me to wet slush. Boy do these glide fast! Second they offered a really superior balance between float and plow, just slicing through the slush when I pressed forward and floating over when I held back. I switched over to Stickys for a few runs, but I found them to be more tiring, more "sticky" and more catchy in the slush. Went back to Crossbows and did not look back.

I also took these into the park and did a lot of small jumps, boxes and mini half pipes. In slush conditions I feel Crossbows actually did OK on jumps and pipes, far better than my previous Crossbow park runs on hard pack. The landings were really soft, the edges did not catch, but I did have to fight for fore/aft balance sometimes. I do not recommend taking these onto boxes - they stuck for me, causing my whole upper body to lurch forward. I adjusted by leaning back during the glide. Not unexpected, just a report of my experience.

I really, really like these Crossbows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fun Machine View Post
                I really, really like these Crossbows.
                The feeling is mutual.

I got home after midnight and woke up this morning to realise that the weathre has changed and what was suppose to be a cloudy morning turned out to be a sunny one. Grabbed the crossbows and rushed up the mountain. Rode pretty much every kind of terrain that came by way including clumps of moguls between trees, steep blackslopes, ungroomed stuff and just loverly wide pistes. In-resort, there is now one baord to rule them all.
                Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

• Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
                  The feeling is mutual.

I got home after midnight and woke up this morning to realise that the weathre has changed and what was suppose to be a cloudy morning turned out to be a sunny one. Grabbed the crossbows and rushed up the mountain. Rode pretty much every kind of terrain that came by way including clumps of moguls between trees, steep blackslopes, ungroomed stuff and just loverly wide pistes. In-resort, there is now one baord to rule them all.
                  Hi S. It's just wonderful to hear you are having such a great new life. Keep the reports coming please.

Go Android

Comment

• Originally posted by macrophotog View Post

After switching to setback, I found the Crossbow to be an even better performing, more versatile board! It did not lose any of the positives mentioned above (almost seemed to amp them up to a higher category), but in a sense became more adaptable in terms of how you could ski them. Weight yourself slightly forward and they charged super hard and fast always keeping an edge. You could give loads of input into your carves and the board would respond accordingly allowing me to tighten up or lengthen out the radius of my carves with no misbehavior or negative feedback at all. Weight yourself center or a little back and they became super playful and surfy and could dance all over (I love my Rockered Condors on soft groomers for this same reason). These boards really sang for me in the setback position!
                    I have been riding my Crossbows mostly set back all year riding both groomed snow and off piste from that position. There is no question that I way prefer a set back position for off piste riding . I thought that I preferred the Crossbows center mount in firm snow and today was just riding groomers with my wife with no off piste and so moved my Crossbows back to center mount . I really concentrated on how I enjoyed these boards on groomers and I found that I have become a convert to Macrophotog's orginal idea about these boards . What I missed with the center mount position was the dual nature of the rear mounted position . I have come to really enjoy the way the boards feel surfy and playful and slide smoothly when I weight myself center or a little back on a rear mounted board and then engage nicely into the carve like a center mount board when I lean forward as Macrophotag pointed out . Like Macrophotag , I really love my RC's as well even on soft groomers for their playful surfy feel . With a center mounted Crossbows I felt kind of locked into one kind of turn rather then being able to press the board into two personalities. Very interesting !
                    Boards :
                    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                    Boots
                    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                    Bindings:
                    Zero Pro Non release Binding
                    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjue View Post
                      I have been riding my Crossbows mostly set back all year riding both groomed snow and off piste from that position. There is no question that I way prefer a set back position for off piste riding . I thought that I preferred the Crossbows center mount in firm snow and today was just riding groomers with my wife with no off piste and so moved my Crossbows back to center mount . I really concentrated on how I enjoyed these boards on groomers and I found that I have become a convert to Macrophotog's orginal idea about these boards . What I missed with the center mount position was the dual nature of the rear mounted position . I have come to really enjoy the way the boards feel surfy and playful and slide smoothly when I weight myself center or a little back on a rear mounted board and then engage nicely into the carve like a center mount board when I lean forward as Macrophotag pointed out . Like Macrophotag , I really love my RC's as well even on soft groomers for their playful surfy feel . With a center mounted Crossbows I felt kind of locked into one kind of turn rather then being able to press the board into two personalities. Very interesting !
                      Jack,
                      I really know what you mean. When I bend my leading knee forward and press on the tongue of my boot, I can really feel the edges engage like they are center mounted. Shifting from leg to leg like this, these boards really carve effortlessly.
                      Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                      Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                      Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                      History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

• I have found exactly the same with the Stickies. I do think it probably requires hard shell boots to work properly. Not that I would use anything else lol

Go Android

Comment

• Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                          I have found exactly the same with the Stickies. I do think it probably requires hard shell boots to work properly. Not that I would use anything else lol

yes , I think you are correct Valmorel , one of the issues was that initally I was riding the Crossbows with the Envy soft boot frame with snowboard boots , and I could not get the boards to carve properly from the rear seat in firm snow. I think hard shell boots , some forward lean and then leaning forward into the turn all help to get the Crossbows working nicely from the rear binding position .
                          Boards :
                          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                          Boots
                          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                          Bindings:
                          Zero Pro Non release Binding
                          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

• I've been riding Crossbows pretty much all season, and I still heavily favor center mount. I side-slip, slide and slarve on these frequently all over groomers without additional effort and just engage the edges more to hold carves. The smooth transition in edge control from lock to release is just fantastic. Oh I use hard boots.

Comment

• Final parting thoughts on the Crossbows as the season wraps up:

1) First a big THANK YOU to Jeff Springer for putting these together and getting them made for the community. There was a lot of back-and-forth debate last season on what a set of boards like this could/should be. I think Jeff did an excellent job in taking some of the best suggestions from the community, mixing it with his own expertise, and using the blend to make an awesome set of skiboards.

2) Spring skiing -- Oh how the Crossbows love Spring snow. I have had them in all sorts of conditions throughout the season but not true top to bottom Spring snow until this past weekend. Sure I have run them through some slush at the bottom of the hill but this weekend was a perfect East Coast skiing the softened hard pack in your hoodie weekend with temps creeping into the mid 40s coupled with fresh wet heavy snow from earlier in the week. The Crossbows eat this stuff up like no other board in my quiver. Pure Joy.

3) Improvements -- What would I change about the Crossbows? Actually, nothing! Jeff had worried that they were too soft. I think they are perfect. I had worried that they were too short. Again, I think they are perfect. They are truly a great package for those of us that speed more time cruising the mountain than playing in the park. They only thing wrong with them is the dust the inflicted on the rest of my quiver that sat idle for most (if not all of the season). Perhaps it's time for a yardsale? (No, my RVL8 Revolt Cities are not for sale Ricky)
                              Boards:
                              2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                              2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                              2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                              2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                              2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                              2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                              2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

• Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                                Final parting thoughts on the Crossbows as the season wraps up:

1) First a big THANK YOU to Jeff Springer for putting these together and getting them made for the community. There was a lot of back-and-forth debate last season on what a set of boards like this could/should be. I think Jeff did an excellent job in taking some of the best suggestions from the community, mixing it with his own expertise, and using the blend to make an awesome set of skiboards.

2) Spring skiing -- Oh how the Crossbows love Spring snow. I have had them in all sorts of conditions throughout the season but not true top to bottom Spring snow until this past weekend. Sure I have run them through some slush at the bottom of the hill but this weekend was a perfect East Coast skiing the softened hard pack in your hoodie weekend with temps creeping into the mid 40s coupled with fresh wet heavy snow from earlier in the week. The Crossbows eat this stuff up like no other board in my quiver. Pure Joy.

3) Improvements -- What would I change about the Crossbows? Actually, nothing! Jeff had worried that they were too soft. I think they are perfect. I had worried that they were too short. Again, I think they are perfect. They are truly a great package for those of us that speed more time cruising the mountain than playing in the park. They only thing wrong with them is the dust the inflicted on the rest of my quiver that sat idle for most (if not all of the season). Perhaps it's time for a yardsale? (No, my RVL8 Revolt Cities are not for sale Ricky)
                                Ditto!

Comment

Working...
                                X