Spruce Mountain Skiboards - 115 CM Crossbow Longboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
    Oh the quandary you will find yourself in. . . Less than one year after declaring the Icky's a quiver killer and you will find yourself needing a pair of Crossbows too. . . What to do, what to do?
    I'm really sensitive to the length of skiboards. Although I can appreciate longer boards, they just don't have that fun element of a true skiboard. If it wasn't for the running length of the Ickys being shortened by the rocker, even they would be too long for me. So yes, I would love to take out the Crossbows for a test drive, but I think my quiver is secure.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

So how does the Wookie like the crossbows ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tom91381 View Post

Don’t know yet. The delivery of the Crossbows was ill timed and I have been enjoying family time and travel with the holidays. Should be able to get out on them tomorrow but I expect this week to be icy will temps at 20 deg F and lower.
        Boards:
        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Tom91381 View Post

In a word ..... AWESOME. I’m on the hill right now and will post a more detailed commentary tonight but I’m riding them through waist deep man made pow piles and loving them.
          Boards:
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
            In a word ..... AWESOME. I’m on the hill right now and will post a more detailed commentary tonight but I’m riding them through waist deep man made pow piles and loving them.
            Waist deep on you, really? That means the piles are six-feet high.
            Boards/Bindings:
            2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
            2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
            Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
            Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

So they seem to be good in all conditions and all sizes of feet ?[emoji2]

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                Waist deep on you, really? That means the piles are six-feet high.
                Before I get into my “first day review” let me clarify “waist deep”. The snow was piled up from snow making and was indeed waist deep on the crew working the snow guns, for me it was closer to mid-thigh or just over the knee at its deepest but on average it was about 10-15 inches of heavy man made powder. Still a fun treat that we don’t get too much in the East.

So about the Crossbows .... other than one minor complaint I love them. Much like Spruce’s 120s these are an all mountain cruising dream and like the SIIs the rocker makes them feel small but perform big. I had them out today from first chair with 1 degree frozen groomers to about 2:30 with skied off ice mixed with softer stuff as things warmed up. The mountain offered a bit of everything today (frozen groomers, fresh groomers, ungroomed man made snow in deep piles, natural snow in the trees, and typical east coast ice) the Crossbows felt great in all conditions.

I rode them starting centered and then setback. I ultimately switched back to centered. For me, in the center position these are big skiboards. They can be ridden upright and centered with no worry of the tips diving or falling on your butt. In the setback position they are short skis and performed best when “skied” with a forward body position which is not my style. If we got a day of deep natural pow I might go setback but centered in heavy man made pow they felt fine.

So what was my complaint? It really minor but they are harder to skate than the SIIs. The soft rockered tips and tails don’t give you a good kick like the stiffer SIIs and when you are skating you can tell they are a bit wider. I’ll likely not even notice it after a few more outings.

As far as my quiver goes this season I am likely only riding the SIIs and Crossbows. As I have said before the SIIs are a great East Coast board perfect for resort cruising and, if tuned right, excellent on ice. The Crossbows will come out on days like today when I know the mountain is going to throw a mix of conditions at me. Likely a 50/50 Split when in the East. For my Colorado trip the Crossbows will be my primary ride for most of the trip with Spliffs on reserve for pow days.

One side note from my daughter, she noted I was jumping more on the Crossbows than any other skiboard I ride. I didn’t feel like I was seeking out jumps but did feel really stable riding these so I may have been hopping around a bit, especially in the ungroomed snow.
                Boards:
                2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Wookie, do you normally ride the SIIs center or set back? So the Crossbows are softer than the Ickys? You say you're keeping the Spliffs for pow. Does that mean you think the Spliffs would be better on deeper days than the Crossbows?
                  Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                  Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                  Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

So many questions .... but good ones ... see below

Wookie, do you normally ride the SIIs center or set back?
                    I ride the SIIs setback and only setback. The SIIs will tip dive under my large hairy frame if I encounter any piled up soft snow and I’m not paying attention. I can ride them fine centered but really need to pay attention to stay out of trouble. Riding setback allows me to ride more relaxed.

So the Crossbows are softer than the Ickys?
                    At the tip and tail yes but I think the core of the board under foot is very similar, in stiffness, to the SIIs. It’s like Jeff added soft crud busters to the tips and tails of the SIIs.

You say you're keeping the Spliffs for pow. Does that mean you think the Spliffs would be better on deeper days than the Crossbows?
                    I don’t know but I like the Spliffs in deeper snow especially in tight glades. I regretted not bringing them on one Colorado trip last year and was riding the SIIs in deep snow which may be fine for a smaller riders but not my 200+ lb load. I actually regret selling my RCs last year. Should have kept them for deep days but they were sitting on the shelf and found a good home with the Boho crew.

Any other questions? [emoji848]
                    Boards:
                    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Thanks W. Any comparison with how they ski vs. 120, one of your favorites?

I can't help but wonder why the shape of the tail is not tucked-in like the nose is (powder ski style). I feel the slight reduction in width in the tip and tail area when they are narrower would help minimize bumping and catching the ends against each other (and probably saves half an oz of weight ). Also, the significant height of the tip and tail - can anyone offer a benefit of it compared to lower ends like say on a Blunt XL?

Comment

I regret selling my RCs last year. Should have kept them for deep days but they were sitting on the shelf and found a good home with the Boho crew.
                        I've had my RCs up for sale for a while. Thought they would have sold by now, but they haven't. I keep thinking it might be a sign that I should keep them. They have provided me a lot of fun over the years. I just don't get that many chances to use them. Even when we do get powder, it's easier to go with the Sherpas or even the XLs for more fore/aft stability.

Any other questions? [emoji848]
                        No, not at this time. Thanks!
                        Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                        Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Spruce Mountain Skiboards - 115 CM Crossbow Longboards

I've had my RCs up for sale for a while. Thought they would have sold by now, but they haven't. I keep thinking it might be a sign that I should keep them....
                          I know. If they were the 2013 Dogfight graphics or 2015 Global Warming graphics I would have jumped on them. The Drooling Clouds don’t really do anything for me. Also there is a voice in my head (that sounds a lot like my wife) that keeps reminding me the Spliffs have a very similar footprint.

Even if the Crossbows outperform the Spliffs in deep snow I’ll likely keep them in the collection. I love the graphics and got a really good pair in that first batch. I just wish they had the same setback feature for release bindings that the SIIs have. I may ultimately add a set of inserts.
                          Boards:
                          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

I love the graphics and got a really good pair in that first batch. I just wish they had the same setback feature for release bindings that the SIIs have. I may ultimately add a set of inserts.
                            Yep, I really like the graphics too and wish they had the setback inserts. If they did, I'd give them a second chance and buy another pair.
                            Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                            Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

I did actually fit a set of extra inserts to my Spliffs but oddly prefer to ride them centre. Seems most prefer them set back though, especially for powder.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
                              Crossbow (go to dream board)
                              Most everything else over time.
                              Go Android

Comment

Thus far, not a bad word being said about the Crossbow. This has the feel of another huge success along the lines of the Stickies.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
                                Crossbow (go to dream board)
                                Most everything else over time.
                                Go Android

Comment

Working...
                                X