No announcement yet.

Spruce Mountain Skiboards - 115 CM Crossbow Longboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way the Spruce riser is shaped in the section away from the plastic base is a bit flat. It creates a situation where the ends of it might make somewhat hard contact with the boards. I've seen minor marks from that on Raptors and 120s. I know the SIIs will too contact the Riser that way.

My DIY riser is an inch or two longer than the original (to accommodate my extra long boots), but I have shaped it to curve-up more gradually, in a way that the board will first contact near the base, then bend itself along towards the end of the riser. That effectively gives an variable contact length if you will, with more of the board in contact as you push harder. So never a "clank" with the ends of the riser contacting the board.

Anyway, I don't think any board with the exception of the Raptors perhaps would bend that much during a carve. It might do it going over some sharp curve like on small but closely spaced moguls. In most cases it would be the front or the rear touching but not both at the same time.

Sorry, not helpful in terms of shedding info on the Crossbows, but my guess is if the center of the 'bows is stiffer, given their length, they might make less contact with the riser than a 120 might.

Comment

I think our trend away from stiff cambered boards to the softer flexing rockered boards is why we are seeing more riser contact issues. Plus, rockered boards are no longer just for deep snow days. We have turned them into all mountain boards with all the technical demands that entails.
      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
        My HDPE risers solve that issue.......just saying[emoji106]
        Are you taking pre-orders? ;-)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
        171cm/190lbs
        Current Favorites:
        RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
        Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
        Other boards I'm trying:
        Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

So I finally got out to give my crossbows some California snow love. The day didn’t get off on the right foot, literally
          The guy at the shop put the right boot on the left ski when he tested the din release, and my ocd made me think I can’t ski like that. So after a small run I’m back at my car switching around the bindings and reinstalling them with the set back, I like my weight on the tails .
          As I get back to getting off the lift I’m almost blown away with the strong wind guest. 15-50mph , what a great day to give these a whirl.
          So I’m about a minute into the downhill and they felt about the same as my Sticky’s , so I’m instantly comfortable with them . And the feel is that comfort, it just seems that I switched into a shock absorber ski. The little bumps in front of the board are not really making my legs work as hard as some of the other boards I’ve used in the past. These had the same characteristics as the stickys . They held in the carves I was doing even thru the hard snow and my legs weren’t being punished. Center mount skis really have a way of making my legs work and I have no idea why?
          All in all these skis were great for me. I’m only 5’9” and weigh under 160. I was able to handle them the same way as I handle my stickys . Not sure if these were made fro someone my size or someone taller and maybe heavier , but they work for me no problem.
          They seem to be able to carry speed pretty well , that extra length really helps smooth out the snow and kept my fatigue down too.

I can see really using these a lot when I’m by myself or in a group that doesn’t stop a whole lot. And when I’m with a group that is always regrouping my SII’s will be perfect for that.
          I know I’m not the same as most of you guys with the knowledge of the characteristics of what the skis doing and why, I just know that it was as easy to ski as my Stickys

I’m off to a good start for the season.
          I’ll try to post some videos on Facebook
          I’ve added some of the raw videos I took while at Mammoth to my YouTube , if you want to see them in action

https://youtu.be/mPNbnCT0Xys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tom91381 View Post
            I’ve added some of the raw videos I took while at Mammoth to my YouTube , if you want to see them in action

https://youtu.be/mPNbnCT0Xys

Tom, I watched the couple videos that you posted. Looks like conditions were hard. How were the sidewalls on the Crossbows after you got done, any chipping?
            Boards/Bindings:
            2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
            2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
            Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
            Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
              Tom, I watched the couple videos that you posted. Looks like conditions were hard. How were the sidewalls on the Crossbows after you got done, any chipping?
              I guess it looked like I hit the fronts together a little bit here and there? But as you can see it’s virtually nothing.
              I put over 20 miles on them and tried to hit all the same runs that I took in the SII’s. I wish the snow was softer like it’s been though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Day 3 on the snow with the Spruce Crossbows:

I was able to get another couple hours in today before going to work. Another morning of Ice Coast conditions - it rained heavily all day yesterday, then overnight the mountain got down into the teens for temperatures. This made for hard icy trails littered with death cookies and chicken heads. The groomers also had left many potholes and killer humps where a lot of snow had been lost the day before. The Crossbows again performed very well on the ice - I was able to lock in an edge on moment's notice or let up and surf over the death cookies and potholes with confidence. The conditions today were such that I would typically ski with hesitation in my approach, but felt very comfortable pushing the Crossbows harder. So far, these are passing all of my Ice Coast tests.

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                  How were the sidewalls on the Crossbows after you got done, any chipping?
                  I have three days on the Crossbows. Normally I chamfer the top edges on all of my sidewalls. But ran out of time before day 1, so rode them with stock sidewalls. No damage except a few tiny microchips at the actual tips. After day 1 I found time to chamfer the edges. Day 2 and 3 were a test to the sidewalls (even chamfered sidewalls) because of the conditions (especially today - day 3) and I have no damage at all.

Comment

BTW I will have these at Westfest for anyone that wants to give them a try.

Comment

Tom91, thanks for the video. Looks like pretty hard conditions.

Comment

Pick me, pick me!
                        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Pick me, pick me!
                          Bring your bindings , your first

Comment

Pick me, pick me!
                            Oh the quandary you will find yourself in. . . Less than one year after declaring the Icky's a quiver killer and you will find yourself needing a pair of Crossbows too. . . What to do, what to do?

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
                              Oh the quandary you will find yourself in. . . Less than one year after declaring the Icky's a quiver killer and you will find yourself needing a pair of Crossbows too. . . What to do, what to do?
                              Macrophotog, have you been doing all your skiing solo? That’s where I find them really acceptable. If I’m always stopping and waiting for the group to catch up then I’m wasting my time . The solo quiver board ? Or maybe the no stop group board, I’ll meet you at the bottom .

Comment

Macrophotog, have you been doing all your skiing solo? That’s where I find them really acceptable. If I’m always stopping and waiting for the group to catch up then I’m wasting my time . The solo quiver board ? Or maybe the no stop group board, I’ll meet you at the bottom.
                                Thus far, the three times I've been on the Crossbows were solo. Tomorrow will be with the entire family, and I will be on them again. This time hopefully in some powder albeit maybe just a little - we are supposed to get snow tonight and the elevations are supposed to get more so we will see what Christmas has in store for us.

Comment

Working...
                                X