Spruce Mountain Skiboards - 115 CM Crossbow Longboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
    I haven't measured it out yet, but the the design specified running length is just over 93cm.
    Actual running length appears to be about 73cm (measured with camber compressed flat).

Comment

I was able to get a little over 4 hours on the snow today with the Crossbows. The temperature was between 20-25 degrees F during my time on the mountain, with the previous few days being in the 40's - 50's. This made for soft granular conditions with some hardpack underneath, but I never really got down to the hardpack - I was one of very few skiers so not much was getting moved around or skied off. If you like soft groomers, today was your day with 4+ hours of the stuff and no piling up of snow.

I started the morning on the Crossbows center mounted and eventually switched to setback.

Center mounted, the ride was very nice. . . smooth and enjoyable, good edging and grip. I quickly found confidence in the boards and was not worried about washing out so began increasing my speed and steepness of my runs. The boards continued to respond and perform well never losing an edge. Center mounted, it seemed to me that they boards were much more comfortable carving on it's designed radius and not giving me as much freedom to push hard into tighter carves like I was expecting with a somewhat softer flexing board (I obviously expect this on stiffer boards/skis).

After switching to setback, I found the Crossbow to be an even better performing, more versatile board! It did not lose any of the positives mentioned above (almost seemed to amp them up to a higher category), but in a sense became more adaptable in terms of how you could ski them. Weight yourself slightly forward and they charged super hard and fast always keeping an edge. You could give loads of input into your carves and the board would respond accordingly allowing me to tighten up or lengthen out the radius of my carves with no misbehavior or negative feedback at all. Weight yourself center or a little back and they became super playful and surfy and could dance all over (I love my Rockered Condors on soft groomers for this same reason). These boards really sang for me in the setback position!

Overall the Crossbows seem very capable boards with the ability to offer a variety of rides - if I wanted to ride them casually with little input, they behaved nicely and were a pleasure. If I wanted to push them hard and fast, they responded extremely well to any input I gave them especially in the setback position. These are great boards and I am looking forward to getting out on them again!

There is no powder in the forecast here, but I expect over the next week to experience a few other conditions on the Crossbows (ice, crud, etc.) and will report back on those conditions as they occur.

Comment

Nice! Glad you had a good time on the Crossbows! Hopefully you or Wookie will soon share comparisons with the SIIs.

How do you find the more "relaxed" turn radius?

Comment

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
          Nice! Glad you had a good time on the Crossbows! Hopefully you or Wookie will soon share comparisons with the SIIs.

I haven't skied the SIIs so we will have to wait for Wookie or someone else for that comparison. I was fighting the more "relaxed" turn radius on the first run, then I remembered it was a larger radius and then changed my approach and expectations. But, after mounting setback, the Crossbows would respond to any turn radius I wanted them to go into with the proper input.

Comment

Hey, Macro.
            What did you think of the stiffness? Something I'm concerned about is the boards being too soft for the way I ride. I had a set of 120's a couple of years ago and saw right away that the tips of the risers were starting to make indentations on the tops of the boards. I don't expect them to be KTP's, but I want to be able to push them without them folding up. Was your high speed during a straight line or while on edge?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
            171cm/190lbs
            Current Favorites:
            RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
            Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
            Other boards I'm trying:
            Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Originally posted by Kocho View Post

There’s no way I’ll be able to tell what I’m feeling when I get out on these. While this is all new to me I just know what I can control, and what makes me feel like I’m in control. I only do all mountain and not any type of tricks or jumps. I’ve found out I really like the set backs that the sticky’s give me, I like having those tips breaking thru the trail that I’m heading down.
              I might head to Mammoth on Saturday to give mine a little taste of the snow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tom91381 View Post
                There’s no way I’ll be able to tell what I’m feeling when I get out on these. While this is all new to me I just know what I can control, and what makes me feel like I’m in control. I only do all mountain and not any type of tricks or jumps. I’ve found out I really like the set backs that the sticky’s give me, I like having those tips breaking thru the trail that I’m heading down.
                I might head to Mammoth on Saturday to give mine a little taste of the snow

That doesn't mean your opinion doesn't count. Let us know anyway.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
                Crossbow (go to dream board)
                Most everything else over time.
                Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
                  Hey, Macro.
                  What did you think of the stiffness? Something I'm concerned about is the boards being too soft for the way I ride. I had a set of 120's a couple of years ago and saw right away that the tips of the risers were starting to make indentations on the tops of the boards. I don't expect them to be KTP's, but I want to be able to push them without them folding up. Was your high speed during a straight line or while on edge?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                  That particular high speed was in a straight line. However I was hitting mid to high 40’s most of the morning carving. I don’t have 120s to compare them directly to, but from my recollection I believe these are a little stiffer underfoot and very similar in the tips and tails - maybe a tad softer. I think in the setback position it is possible that the tails could hit the riser but i think you’d have to be falling on your butt a lot if that’s the case. I don’t see that happening in the tips. Not that the tips are stiffer, but just in the way the risers built with more of the aluminum in the rear. I’m riding them now, and will try to push/carve hard on the talis and see if I get any contact with the riser. I will report back after I’m done skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t have 120s to compare them directly to, but from my recollection I believe these are a little stiffer underfoot and very similar in the tips and tails .....
                    I haven't had my crossbows out in the wild yet but what Macro describes matches my observations of these on the workbench. The 120s have a consistent soft flex from end to end. The Crossbows appear to more robust under foot but softer in the tip and tail.

If you have both boards side-by-side, hold them by the ends, and flex them the Crossbows feel softer. But if you try to flex them each enough to bottom out on the Spruce riser the Crossbows take a lot more effort, more in line with the RVL8 SIIs. The core of the Crossbow in nowhere near KTP stiffness but is definitely a robust core.
                    Boards:
                    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I had a set of 120's a couple of years ago and saw right away that the tips of the risers were starting to make indentations on the tops of the boards.
                      I've noticed that this has happened on my Ickys, especially since covering them in diamond plate vinyl. If the Crossbows are just longer versions of the SIIs, I bet the same thing will happen.
                      Boards/Bindings:
                      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

My HDPE risers solve that issue.......just saying[emoji106]
                        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Maybe I’ll have to trim off the excess aluminum ?

I'm just the FNG--== ****ing new guy

Comment

Hey, Macro.
                            I think in the setback position it is possible that the tails could hit the riser but i think you’d have to be falling on your butt a lot if that’s the case. I don’t see that happening in the tips. Not that the tips are stiffer, but just in the way the risers built with more of the aluminum in the rear. I’m riding them now, and will try to push/carve hard on the talis and see if I get any contact with the riser. I will report back after I’m done skiing.
                            Very interesting - yes I can get the tails to hit the riser in setback position. But after getting home, I also found the same marks on my BluntXL's and Rockered Condors. And with Sempai saying the same thing about the Icky's, I'd be curious how many other boards (even some of the really stiff ones) have the same thing. Seems to not be a big deal since this is the case with many very popular boards.

Comment

Day 2 on the snow with the Crossbows:

Glorious Ice Coast conditions to start the morning (please note my sarcasm here). After almost getting into a multiple car accident because of icy conditions driving up the mountain, I found freezing rain had created a nice hard shell of ice over the groomed trails. Skiing frozen corduroy is never fun, less fun when you find yourself being covered in ten layers of ice while the freezing rain continues for the first hour.

This was a nice test for the Crossbows. I was able to hold edge extremely well on top of the ice and as things softened up throughout the morning I was also able to break through to softer stuff when pushing them harder. I had no problems transitioning above and below the ice in the same turns - I am definitely getting very comfortable and confident in these boards. As it got closer to noontime, things continued softening up quite a bit and one of the steeper trails began to bump up nicely with soft stuff from underneath the ice. Not full sized moguls by any means, but I was able to put the Crossbows through the paces by picking quick lines around and up and over mounds of snow. The Crossbows responded well - very quick to respond and turn.

The Crossbows have yet to disappoint - I'm very pleased so far.

Comment

Very nice, can’t wait to try them in the California snow. Looks like I’m gonna head for that tomorrow, heading up to Mammoth I’ll be there tomorrow, with GoPro in hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X