Spruce Mountain Skiboards - 115 CM Crossbow Longboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
    What's special/unique about Golden Eagle run?
    Originally posted by sempai View Post
    Golden Eagle: a signature section of the men’s World Cup and World downhill course—after it’s been groomed will make anyone feel like a race pro. Get to it by taking a right at the top of Birds of Prey Express Lift and experience pitches so steep they might make you dizzy if you stare down them too long. It’s best to just dig in your edges and commit to the thrill ride, claiming your EpicMix Birds of Prey badge in the process.
    Translation -- It's pretty freaking hairy! The BOP Downhill course from top to bottom is about 2,500 ft of vertical drop over it's 1.7mile length. The steepest it gets is a 45% which happens on parts of Golden Eagle. Beaver Creek usually lets this run develop moguls to slow rec skiers down. When they prep it for racing they groom it then treat the snow to get it to effectively ice up. That icy base is always under it since the Beav is an early stop on the World Cup Circuit. To give you an idea of how steep and icy it can be, when they groom it, they need to use "winch cats". They snow cats anchor to a concert pylon since it is too steep for them to climb on their own tracks.

I have ridden it in three states: Groomed/Icy (I'll never do this again), Moguls (A ton of work and you really need to take your time or you get going too fast), and Powder/First Tracks (This was a blast, with it's steep pitch you could float on skiboards no bigger than your boots).

For some prospective here are some videos:

This is a quick clip of a racer going off the Golden Eagle jump where it transitions to a steep pitch

This is ski through by Hans Knauss of ORF TV Austria. He hits the Golden Eagle Jump around the 1:50 mark but the entire run is the Golden Eagle Trail. Rec skiers typically cannot jump the Golden Eagle Jump as they fence off this transition to force you to slow down (and then come to grips with the drop off as you stare down it). As steep as it looks in parts of this video it feels steeper. Notice the angle of the trees and race gates to the pitch.

The best part of this run is Talon's Restaurant at the base where you get get a beer and sit on the outdoor deck on blue bird days. Most of the runs that end at Talon's are expert runs so it keeps the crowds down. When at the Beav my kids love to ski Redtail, to Goshawk, to the very end of Golden Eagle. This makes for a fun "blue" run but you can say you skied a world cup downhill course.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

• Thanks Wookie for the perspective. When we did it yesterday it was groomed , very steep , no moguls , and with a warning sign that it had been race prepped . Luckily it had snowed a bit so there was some edgeable snow over very firm snow though in some sections the edgeable snow had been skied or blown off and it was icy . I found a narrow strip of soft snow at the extreme edge of the slope which was actually kind of , sort of fun , ha ,ha . Wendell and I were on Crossbows the other skiers in Wendell's ski club group were on long skis. I think in this kind of a slope the longer effective edge of long skis really helps . It was a really good test that the Crossbows have good edge hold ,however, and Wendell and I got down without any mishap. What I don't like about a slope like this is that in firm race prepped conditions there is a lot of exposure in that if you make a mistake and lose an edge and go down , you will likely unable to be able to stop your fall and will acellerate rapidly and because it is so long it can be quite dangerous.
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjue View Post
        ..... What I don't like about a slope like this is that in firm race prepped conditions there is a lot of exposure in that if you make a mistake and lose an edge and go down , you will likely unable to be able to stop your fall and will acellerate rapidly and because it is so long it can be quite dangerous.
        Agreed. These runs are tests of concentration. One slip up (pun intended) and your are likely sliding down the run until one of the breaks.

One time when we skied it my daughter had a binding release. She and I spent about 30 minutes after that climbing down about half the run to collect her ski and then trying to find a flat(ish) spot to put our skis back on.

It's a fun challenge but you need to be on your game especially when it's race prepped. It gives you new respect for ski racers that fly down it at 60+ mph. When we, mere mortals, ski it we can take our time and pick our turns . Racers are flying and forced into turns across the steep pitch. I was definitely not made out to be a ski racer but the interesting thing is my youngest, no matter the conditions, will hit this run and just let her skis go. She is typically sitting at a table at Talon's, enjoying a coke, and looking refreshed by the time the rest of the family joins her. She doesn't understand what takes us so long. She says since you cannot stop on that run, why try? She is ski racer 'crazy'.
        Boards:
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

• That puts some perspective on it!
          Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
          Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
          Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

• Originally posted by Wookie View Post
            I was definitely not made out to be a ski racer but the interesting thing is my youngest, no matter the conditions, will hit this run and just let her skis go. She is typically sitting at a table at Talon's, enjoying a coke, and looking refreshed by the time the rest of the family joins her. She doesn't understand what takes us so long. She says since you cannot stop on that run, why try? She is ski racer 'crazy'.
            Some days, I miss those youthful feelings of invincibility/immortality.
            And on other days, I'm glad that those feelings didn't keep me from reaching the age I am now!
            Sticky Icky Ickys (I think I'm in love )
            Spruce 120's (they served me well)
            Trikke Skki

Comment

• Originally posted by Wookie View Post
              Agreed. These runs are tests of concentration. One slip up (pun intended) and your are likely sliding down the run until one of the breaks.

One time when we skied it my daughter had a binding release. She and I spent about 30 minutes after that climbing down about half the run to collect her ski and then trying to find a flat(ish) spot to put our skis back on.

It's a fun challenge but you need to be on your game especially when it's race prepped. It gives you new respect for ski racers that fly down it at 60+ mph. When we, mere mortals, ski it we can take our time and pick our turns . Racers are flying and forced into turns across the steep pitch. I was definitely not made out to be a ski racer but the interesting thing is my youngest, no matter the conditions, will hit this run and just let her skis go. She is typically sitting at a table at Talon's, enjoying a coke, and looking refreshed by the time the rest of the family joins her. She doesn't understand what takes us so long. She says since you cannot stop on that run, why try? She is ski racer 'crazy'.
              Wow! Your daughter is really some skier.
              Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
              Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
              Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
              History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

• Originally posted by wjeong View Post
                By the way, after today the Crossbow is the only board I really need to ride any condition on a mountain. I killed enormous amount of powder today.
                Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

By the way, after today the Crossbow is the only board I really need to ride any condition on a mountain. I killed enormous amount of powder today.
                  Does this mean there's a shed cleaning coming in the near future? [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                  171cm/190lbs
                  Current Favorites:
                  RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
                  Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
                  Other boards I'm trying:
                  Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

She’s reckless and gifted with a high pain threshold and low center of gravity but appreciate you assuming the best. She would have made a great downhill racer if we lived in a better ski town. Alas, we live in a marginal ski area so she’ll have make the Olympics in soccer, swimming, or diving (unless she starts a late luge or skeleton career).

Originally posted by wjeong View Post
                    It’s the only board you really need but that doesn’t mean you need to get rid of the rest of quiver. I’ve exclusively ridden the crossbows since I got my pair until last weekend. With pretty good conditions I broke out my Revolts with Bomber bindings and confirmed that happiness is directly proportional to the number of boards in your quiver. The only thing that would make me happier is to have a personal skiboard caddy that would carry my full quiver in a golf bag and recommend boards based on conditions.
                    Boards:
                    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

• Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
                      Does this mean there's a shed cleaning coming in the near future? [emoji848]

Not much. I'm going to get rid of the Rossignol 130. I don't need three short skis. Owning the Ethan two means it won't get ridden anymore. If we had a longer season, I would want to keep more boards. The ski season is really short. What I don't like about riding one board all the time is that the same muscles get worked to death. If I change boards, different muscles come into play and my legs get a break. Think about how different it is between riding the XL and the Sherpa or Osprey. You can be tired after riding the XL for three days, hop on a Sherpa and feel refreshed with the stability and edge hold. On the contrary, the constant attention the Sherpa requires can be releaved by sliding sideways down a smooth groomer on an XL. I have way too many boards though.

Comment

Not much. I'm going to get rid of the Rossignol 130. I don't need three short skis. Owning the Ethan two means it won't get ridden anymore. If we had a longer season, I would want to keep more boards. The ski season is really short. What I don't like about riding one board all the time is that the same muscles get worked to death. If I change boards, different muscles come into play and my legs get a break. Think about how different it is between riding the XL and the Sherpa or Osprey. You can be tired after riding the XL for three days, hop on a Sherpa and feel refreshed with the stability and edge hold. On the contrary, the constant attention the Sherpa requires can be releaved by sliding sideways down a smooth groomer on an XL. I have way too many boards though.
                        I hadn't thought of it in those terms before, but I can think of 2 examples from my own experience that relate to that: last year at Shred Fest and this year at West Fest. Switching from RC's to Ospreys last year saved my day at Heavenly and switching from Blunts to XL's at Alta saved WF altogether for me this year. I've had issues with quad cramping these last 2 years and switching to the longer boards seemed to make a difference, at least in those 2 instances.

171cm/190lbs
                        Current Favorites:
                        RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
                        Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
                        Other boards I'm trying:
                        Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

What I don't like about riding one board all the time is that the same muscles get worked to death. If I change boards, different muscles come into play and my legs get a break. Think about how different it is between riding the XL and the Sherpa or Osprey. You can be tired after riding the XL for three days, hop on a Sherpa and feel refreshed with the stability and edge hold. On the contrary, the constant attention the Sherpa requires can be releaved by sliding sideways down a smooth groomer on an XL.
                          Wendell's post is great for two reasons:

1) It's true.

2) It justifies what many of us do regardless of whether it makes any sense or not.

It's always nice when our rationalizations are based on (at least) a kernel of reality.

Comment

• Must buy this Skiboard

I've really enjoyed riding the Crossbows for the past 5 days. I rode in conditions from ice, slush, groomers and a little pow. I rode them straight out of the box.. centered with R*8 Receptor bindings.

At 115.. they didn't seem long.. as compared to the Rvl8 boards I ride.
                            The Crossbow is one of the best, if not the best Skiboards/ designs to drop in the past few seasons. Jeff has hit a homerun with the Crossbow.
                            If you're on the fence about adding this board to your quiver, don't be. I agree with all the previous reviews but wanted to add my quick two cents.

Hit me up if you have any questions. Ricky
                            rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
                            ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

• Originally posted by rickylink View Post
                              I've really enjoyed riding the Crossbows for the past 5 days. I rode in conditions from ice, slush, groomers and a little pow. I rode them straight out of the box.. centered with R*8 Receptor bindings.

I can just imagine you shredding it on Crossbows with matching loud green pants.
                              Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                              Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                              Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

• Originally posted by rickylink View Post

Hit me up if you have any questions. Ricky
                                Hi Rick , Did you really ride them with Receptor non release bindings ???? (The insert pattern is 4 x10 and not 4x4 so as not to allow use of non release skiboard bindings and require use of Spruce riser and release bindings , I thought )
                                ps looking forward to riding with you, Barb and your family soon at Shredfest !
                                Boards :
                                Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                                Boots
                                K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                                Bindings:
                                Zero Pro Non release Binding
                                Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                                Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                                Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                                Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Working...
                                X