Spruce Mountain Skiboards - 115 CM Crossbow Longboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
    Thus far, not a bad word being said about the Crossbow.
    I’m on day 4 of the Crossbows and you won’t hear anything bad from me. I’ve had a few guys direct message me and ask what my unfiltered thoughts were - was there anything bad or not so good that I was holding back from saying on the forum. NOPE! For me, these boards will keep me skiboarding - I’ve been accumulating more skis than skiboards over the past couple of seasons, and REALLY enjoy the skis I’ve purchased. But the Crossbows have definitely kept me firmly in love with the concept of skiboarding! I can’t wait to get these in some powder and confirm their all day, any day, all-Mountain capabilities that I was dreaming of. I tend to bring many boards and skis to the mountain but actually dislike switching out mid day for conditions - I’d much rather just keep riding. So far these are passing the tests!

Comment

Macro or Wookie,

Can you compare to the 120?

Also, is the additional length felt vs. the SIIs? More or similar float in soft snow?

Comment

A few on-snow thoughts

I've taken my own Crossbows out twice now in conditions that were "decent cold snow" with packed powder one day and a bit scratchy on the second. At the risk of sounding like a shameless promotion, I'll offer my impressions. Because I don't often ride boards that are shorter than about 125cm, I wasn't sure what to expect with these boards. What surprised me was that they were very easy turning and yet would hold a firm edge once set up in the turn. Much more fun for me than even Ospreys which are pretty quick but those really felt much longer to me when I rode them on back-to-back runs with the Crossbows. I expected that the Crossbows would be a decent board, but they were a lot better than I expected. They are symmetric on-snow and the tip is longer than the tail, so they look directional. The fact that they have rocker at both ends allows them to be very easy turning but also helps eliminate the tail "hookiness" that a short board with a small radius sometimes has. The tip and tail height is more than pretty much all other skiboards, so the base length is actually 118cm but the tip-to-tip "Spruce Length" is right at 115cm. The running length from wide-point at the tip to wide point at the tail is 93 cm but you'll only be on all of that length in a pretty deep faster-speed carve. Compared to Ickys, this is a bigger board that isn't quite as quick, but I liked the edge feel in a turn as it's stable and quieter yet the board still feels very playful when turned. Who knows? Maybe I'll become a short board addict in my old age. Actually, that depends mostly now on what the skiboard community wants. That's where the Crossbow came from and I think it was a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by jsinger View Post
          . The tip and tail height is more than pretty much all other skiboards, so the base length is actually 118cm but the tip-to-tip "Spruce Length" is right at 115cm. The running length from wide-point at the tip to wide point at the tail is 93 cm but you'll only be on all of that length in a pretty deep faster-speed carve. Compared to Ickys, this is a bigger board that isn't quite as quick.
          To me they felt faster, could that be that I felt that I could slow at any point when needed?
          I know that those who asked for these boards were from taller and probably stronger skiers then I but me at a whopping 5’9” and 155 lbs I had no problem throwing them bum back and forth down the steepest and hardest that Mammoth had to offer.
          I had a hard time with some wider and shorter boards in the same conditions, so these are great boards for anyone IMO. Thanks for listening to those on this board that wanted this board and I hope they sell well.
          Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Crossbow & Spruce 120

I had an old pair of 120s tuned up last season and they rode much better than a stock board. (Much more precise turns.) The difference between the 120 and the Crossbow (using six months of memory) was that the rocker of the Crossbow makes it MUCH easier to initiate turns with. The 120 was a design from 2004 when the concept of putting rocker in a board for frontside rec. use was sheer lunacy. It's still a pleasing board for me to ride in good snow, but it doesn't have the "fun factor" of a short rockered board.

Comment

Of all the boards I ever rode, I found the 120 the least tiring. As you know Jeff, I have had a difficult year with my health and had come to the conclusion that it was time to stop skiing. Well I am pleased to say I have felt a little stronger lately so have booked a 3 day trip to see how it goes. In light of the above I am taking the Stickies, but also my 2004 prototype 120 warhorse.
              From what folks are saying though, I should be on Crossbows. Oh well . . . .

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
              Crossbow (go to dream board)
              Most everything else over time.
              Go Android

Comment

Jeff,

Does the Crossbow rocker and sidecut work similarly to the Osprey, in that pretty much the entire length of the edge engages with just a slight angulation, but the ends do not pressure as hard as the center initially, then they do pressure more with more angulation?

The Osprey does feel more sluggish than SII to pivot and change direction (in the sense like a longer, heavier ski vs. a shorter one would). The SII feels slow to react vs. an 88cm board. Where would the Crossbow fit on that spectrum? Closer to Osprey or SII in that "quickness" to react scale?

On a side note, the 120 and Sherpa have the entire edge engaged pretty much all the time. They have relatively more tip and tail pressure than rockered designs (which may be better in some cases, less good in others, just different). For me, I like the consistently strong stability and edge hold on the Sherpa, yet I also like the progressively [dis]engaging edge on the Ospreys too. I find both easy to ski, the Osprey is more forgiving and less edgy, more eager to keep the tips on top of powder, the Sherpa is more energetic and strong. The SII is considerably easier to flick around than either of them or the 120, but any of these three will leave me less tired at the end of a day than the SII...

Comment

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
                  Can you compare to the 120?…
                  Jeff’s answer, inserted below, pretty much covers the main difference but I’ll add that many riders would detune their 120s to make them less “hooky”. The Crossbows eliminate any need to do that. They initiate turns with ease and are easy to spin. What you lose with this is skating power. If you ride with poles you’ll never notice it but if you go poleless and get stuck on a long flat section you’ll feel it but it’s minor.

Originally posted by jsinger View Post
                  …The difference between the 120 and the Crossbow was that the rocker of the Crossbow makes it MUCH easier to initiate turns with. ….
                  Originally posted by Kocho View Post
                  …Also, is the additional length felt vs. the SIIs? More or similar float in soft snow?
                  Yes, the added length is noticed in a few aspects. They float better under a large rider, some of this comes from the high tip which works as a crud buster. On the carve you can definitely feel a longer edge engaged. Lastly you have a bit more tip and tail support.

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                  Of all the boards I ever rode, I found the 120 the least tiring. As you know Jeff, I have had a difficult year with my health and had come to the conclusion that it was time to stop skiing. Well I am pleased to say I have felt a little stronger lately so have booked a 3 day trip to see how it goes. In light of the above I am taking the Stickies, but also my 2004 prototype 120 warhorse.
                  From what folks are saying though, I should be on Crossbows. Oh well . . . .
                  No matter what you are riding it’s the right board if it keeps you on the mountain with a smile on your face. [emoji3]
                  Boards:
                  2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                  2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                  2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                  2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                  2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                  2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                  2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                  2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                    What you lose with this is skating power. If you ride with poles you’ll never notice it but if you go poleless and get stuck on a long flat section you’ll feel it but it’s minor.
                    So said the hockey goalie. . .

These are really easy to skate in my opinion - said the hockey defenseman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
                      So said the hockey goalie. . .
                      If you don’t think goalies can skate you try rolling around the ice in 45lbs of bulky gear and do it with laser like precision.

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
                      These are really easy to skate in my opinion
                      So says the guy that has been cruising the mountain on 154cm E2s most of last season. Those things are built like 2x4s. Anything would feel easy to skate after those.

All friendly ribbing and jokes aside I should clarify .... the Crossbows are slightly harder to skate only when compared to the 120s, the SIIs, and short cambered boards but that is to be expected. They are by no means impossible or difficult to skate just not quite as easy as shorter, stiffer boarders.
                      Boards:
                      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                        No matter what you are riding it’s the right board if it keeps you on the mountain with a smile on your face. [emoji3]
                        Wookie-ism? Universal snow-sliding truth? Both?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                        171cm/190lbs
                        Current Favorites:
                        RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
                        Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
                        Other boards I'm trying:
                        Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
                          Wookie-ism? Universal snow-sliding truth? Both?

The Way of the Wookie ..... OM!
                          Boards:
                          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

True dat!

Comment

Crossbow at Squaw

Able to ride the crossbow at Squaw today , firm snow turning softer in afternoon warm snow , very similar to spring conditons in the Sierra , although Squaw and other Tahoe resorts have not gotten much snow at all after initial dump in November , Squaw had
                              a lot of varied terrain open including steeps , moguls and off piste skier packed crud . I really enjoyed the Crossbows. I rode them set back . I ride the Ospreys center mount , the Sherpa rear mounted and the Stickies rear mounted . I mostly ride the Stickies with non release bindings . My all around favorite ski board is the Spliff ridden rear mounted with non releasers. My all around favorite longboard skiboard is the Sherpa . Today I was in the company of family all of whom are expert skiers on the long skis , ski fast , or expert snowboarders who also ski fast . and much younger and with more stamina then me . I ride leaning forward like a skier and use poles on all my boards and initiate turns like a skiers do with a pole plant . What follows are just my impressions based on my style of riding .
                              For me the Crossbow skis bigger then I expected , to me it did not feel small at all . In fact set back of course , it has the same amount of skiboard in front of you as a center mount 125 . It's width at 112 matches the Osprey or the Sherpa but has smaller tips . I will give some comparisons . The Crossbow has edge hold in icy snow on par or better then the Sherpa but is way easier to turn then the Sherpa and more manuverable in moguls and feels quicker edge to edge . It is similar to the Osprey in ease of turning and slarving and sliding but feels like it has a more positive carve and is more manuverable and quicker edge to edge .
                              Compared to the Sticky it feels significantly bigger to me and certainly for me has more of the longboard feel like the Osprey or the Sherpa then the Sticky which is ultra manuverable and very light on my feet of course with non release lighter binding.
                              Compared tot the Sticky the tip seems to be softer and have a bit more rocker , in charging through broken crud the tips seem to float up and over the snow more then the Sticky which kind of plows through much like the Sherpa does . It is also more stable at speed in rough snow then the Sticky and damps down vibrations etc more then the sticky The Crossbow has more of that Osprey feel in the soft stuff . The board seems over all more to my liking then the Raptor which felt narrower to me and had more flexible tips . I also like it better then the 120 , seems to have better edge hold for me then the 120 and also more plavful and easier to turn . I am a believer that waist width has alot to do with performance in off piste snow and I definitely think that the Crossbow will be better for me in the soft stuff then the Sticky , certainly not the float of the Osprey and the Sherpa with big tips and longer length but should be quite fun and competent as an all mountain board . Compared to the Spliff it is longer and less manuverable in rough terrain but like the sticky carves better and quicker edge to edge on firm snow .
                              I am currently torn about a quiver choice ...
                              quiver #1 will be stickies and spliffs with non releaser
                              quiver #2 will be Crossbows and Sherpa with spruce riser

quiver #1 if I am riding with skiboarders
                              quiver #2 if I am riding with skiers and snowboarders who are expert ability
                              Boards :
                              Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                              Boots
                              K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                              Bindings:
                              Zero Pro Non release Binding
                              Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                              Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                              Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                              Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                                Able to ride the crossbow at Squaw today , firm snow turning softer in afternoon warm snow , very similar to spring conditons in the Sierra , although Squaw and other Tahoe resorts have not gotten much snow at all after initial dump in Nov the Sherpa and more manuverable in moguls and feels quicker edge to edge . It is similar to the Osprey in ease of t urning and slarving have better edge hold for me then the 120 and also more plavful and easier to turn . I am a believer that waist
                                I am currently torn about a quiver choice ...
                                quiver #1 will be stickies and spliffs with non releaser
                                quiver #2 will be Crossbows and Sherpa with spruce riser

quiver #1 if I am riding with skiboarders
                                quiver #2 if I am riding with skiers and snowboarders who are expert ability
                                Jack,
                                You ride them with the Envy boot or full tilts? I may have to add a pair of these to my pile of boards everything is so positive about them.
                                Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                                Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                                Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                                History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Working...
                                X