RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky

I have spent the early part of this season on my 2016/17 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky skiboards. I am returning to these after they were my ride of choice most of last season and I must say, as these were in storage all summer, I forgot how awesome they were.

First, and I may have said this last season, these are an East Coast rider’s dream. Narrower than some of the other offerings in RVL8’s line up, they allow riders to quickly get edge-to-edge for great control on hard pack and ice. Second there is a “just right” feeling about all the specs. Just enough rocker to bust through crud but too much that feel wobbly. Just enough camber that they have pop but not too much that they hook tips/tails. The side cut has an ability to morph, engage the center of board with a slight angle and you can ride long smooth arcs but if you lay them over hard you can carve tight circles. Lastly the 4x10 set back is brilliant. Ridden center they are fine but set back they are a dream.

All in, its a great package and the ideal skiboard for resort riders that don’t live in the park or the pow. While there really isn’t a perfect all mountain board these come close.

If you missed out on the SIIs last season don’t miss out this year. They are a great addition to any quiver (or replacement for your entire quiver).
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
    I have spent the early part of this season on my 2016/17 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky skiboards. I am returning to these after they were my ride of choice most of last season and I must say, as these were in storage all summer, I forgot how awesome they were.

First, and I may have said this last season, these are an East Coast rider’s dream. Narrower than some of the other offerings in RVL8’s line up, they allow riders to quickly get edge-to-edge for great control on hard pack and ice. Second there is a “just right” feeling about all the specs. Just enough rocker to bust through crud but too much that feel wobbly. Just enough camber that they have pop but not too much that they hook tips/tails. The side cut has an ability to morph, engage the center of board with a slight angle and you can ride long smooth arcs but if you lay them over hard you can carve tight circles. Lastly the 4x10 set back is brilliant. Ridden center they are fine but set back they are a dream.

All in, its a great package and the ideal skiboard for resort riders that don’t live in the park or the pow. While there really isn’t a perfect all mountain board these come close.

If you missed out on the SIIs last season don’t miss out this year. They are a great addition to any quiver (or replacement for your entire quiver).
    Could have written this myself. Nice that you saved me the trouble. Also nice and compact, and light with a fixie.
    With size 28 boots and Receptor bindings with the heel piece as far back as it will go and the front mounting screw position, I get 30 back. Sweetest boards I ever owned.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Comment

RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky

That was so eloquently written, precise and nothing left out. Over on the left coast we have the different snow so I love that set back as it seems to save some muscles overworking.
      I hope I can get some reviews in on digital media soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Amen Brother Wookie.
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
          Also nice and compact, and light with a fixie.
          Very true. With these there is something very reminiscent of the minimalistic aspects of old school skiboards while taking advantage of all the current tricks and features. The best of the old and the new.

Originally posted by Tom91381 View Post
          Over on the left coast we have the different snow so I love that set back as it seems to save some muscles overworking.
          Yup. When I had them out in Colorado last year the traveled with a pair a Spliffs that I held in reserve if we got heavy powder. While I did switch to the Spliffs for one day I really did not need to. The SIIs aren't my powder boards (being 215 lbs) but I really need it to get deep before I switch to a serious flotation device.

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
          Amen Brother Wookie.
          Go in peace brother Bad Wolf and share the shred.
          Boards:
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

We'll put.

I too spent half the day yesterday on my SIIs. After my latest edge detuning (following flattening the bases last year, which made the boards loose their sliding ability but gain feroucious edge bite, which made the SIIs difficult to ski in any other way but pure carving or short dynamic turns, thus not very enjoyable half the time as one couldn't relax on them any more), the SIIs are now pretty much back to their former self - easy to ride, slide about, carve nicely. FYI, I have installed Tyrolia PR release bindings (direct mount) on mine - they still carved well and handled soft areas nicely enough (not as flexy as with a Riser or non-release though).

That said, the short length works great or it is limiting, depending on conditions and objectives. I was very happy early in the day as I practiced short dynamic turns very successfully, testing some new skills. Great. But, when the snow got chopped and soft and deep, on the steeper slopes the short length just was not enough to provide decent resistance - too much skidding downhill during turns. And not enough edge hold for hard carving on the smooth but soft snow. Thirdly, short boards are always more tiring than longer ones for me as short boards are a bumpier ride and require better balance. Time to switch to the longer and fatter Ospreys - problem solved less tired, more edge hold for serious carving, yet even more sliding and skidding sideways if desired.

Comment

Interesting point Kocho makes about bigger boards . I have read with interest the dark side thread and the experimenting with longer boards from the longboard skiboards, to the repurposed teen skis , to long skis proper and have experimented myself going back to long skis a bit last season . As skis have gotten more like skiboards , more accessible , easier to turn and of course more stable then skiboards the question keeps returning about what is the point of skiboards. I have spent a whole lot of time early this season on the Stickies and they just keep growing on me and helping me understand skiboarding in a new light . If you look at the dimensions of the Sticky and the camber rocker profile , they are very similar except of course in length , with many of the most popular all mountain long skis . I was looking at a 169cm Nordica Enforcer in the ski shop which for all the world could be a Sticky on steroids . It is really true that the Sticky is less stable in broken or difficult ski then a long ski of the same dimensions but ah , it is way more manueverable of course , and yet overall superbly competent in terms of edge hold , ability to slarve , ease of turning but yes . less fore and aft stability for sure then a similar long ski . For me the excitement of a supremely competent skiboard like the sticky is that it demands more attention and is more work but gives instant feedback and response which is all involving . If the snow is rougher . , I work harder for balance , but gain in the ability to manuever quickly and confidently, but I guess for me that is the whole point and the fun of skiboards , piloting a super responsive , supremely competent board that gives me instant feedback and trying to do the very best I can with the miminal equipment and becoming a better skier/skiboarder in the process. . It helps when there is a board like the Sticky which does everything I want immediately , and gives me all it can in it's tiny food print ! If you get good at piloting the Sticky the skills you learn there will instantly transfer to the longer and more stable long skis and will make your more confident in all kinds of difficult terrain . I take my time and go slower on the stickies in rough terrain then I would on skis but have more fun .
              I have never ridden a snow sliding device that is more fun in difficult moguls !
              '
              I really like this explanation of skiboards from the "bumps to boomer" web site

"Click into ski-boards and it’s a whole new world. They are still skis sliding on snow but the short length changes up everything. If you aren’t standing centered on them you’ll get instant feedback. These very maneuverable skis instantly bring out the playfulness in everyone. Consequently, your learning process is fun, you learn more quickly and you experience the following benefits over training on your traditional length skis:

Skiboards provide you clear and instantaneous feedback on your stance, producing a more centered and balanced skier.
              A skiboard’s smaller turning radius provides better speed control enabling patient, rounded turns and reduced anxiety – even in moguls and powder.
              A skiboard’s shorter length makes turning easier which builds confidence in three-dimensional terrain presented by moguls and powder.
              Skiboards are substantially lighter than traditional length skis, reducing both fatigue and knee stress.
              Newly learned skills easily transfer back to your traditional length skis.
              And, finally, because of all of the above, you quickly move into confidently and safely skiing mogul and powder terrain. Your new confidence enables you to gain important mileage skiing moguls and experience in making terrain selection decisions. "

of course the more confident you are and more fun you have on skiboards in difficult terrain , the more they will tempt you away from your longer boards ....!
              Boards :
              Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
              Boots
              K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
              Bindings:
              Zero Pro Non release Binding
              Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
              Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
              Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
              Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Very true! I must have made 5x more turns on the SIIs than the next skier on the same slope And the finer balance needed has been really helpful for me to improve my skills (regardless of device, ski or skiboards).

There is no substitute for riding short boards in terms of lightning-quick reflexes and maneuverability, and despite the versatility of the SIIs, they are true to that feel.

Comment

From day 1 on Snowblades/skiboards I just found them way more fun than my skis. Nuff said really.

Go Android

Comment

Speaking from a new skiboarder perspective, SIIs rock. I posted last year asking what skiboards to look at as a tall beginner (6'7"). Put in an order early this season for last year's design (don't know why, but I love last year's graphics).

Took them for a spin in Park City this Thanksgiving and thoroughly enjoyed. Felt like a kid again.

Comment

Originally posted by noties View Post
                      Speaking from a new skiboarder perspective, SIIs rock. I posted last year asking what skiboards to look at as a tall beginner (6'7"). Put in an order early this season for last year's design (don't know why, but I love last year's graphics).

Took them for a spin in Park City this Thanksgiving and thoroughly enjoyed. Felt like a kid again.
                      A real classic the Sticky. Pure joy to ride.

Go Android

Comment

Hey, other than graphics, is there any difference between the 2017 and 2018 SIIs?
                        BOARDSLAYER
                        Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                        Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
                          Hey, other than graphics, is there any difference between the 2017 and 2018 SIIs?
                          No, not that I am aware off.
                          Boards:
                          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Thanks. Didn't see anything obvious, but a little tweak or two between years wouldn't be too much of a surprise.
                            BOARDSLAYER
                            Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
                            X