Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sempai's Sticky Icky Icky Review

Originally posted by sempai View Post
    I couldn't take it anymore. All the relentless hype about the Ickys, Stickys, SIIs, or whatever you want to call them has convinced me to demo a pair. They should arrive in time to bring to Westfest.
    They did arrive in time, and I rode them 3 out of the 4 days at Westfest.

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
    Man they ROCK.
    I agree. They do ROCK!

Originally posted by wjeong View Post
    I can't wait to hear how these do in powder. I am sure that I would like them on harder snow. Let's see if they have enough float for you.
    I was able to get them in a foot or so of powder in Honeycomb Canyon at Solitude, and they did surprisingly well.

Let's start from the beginning of the fest. First day out (Snowbird) I rode the Blunt XLs. There was still powder to be had in the trees a day or two after the last storm. The XLs did their usual job of slaying it. I have to admit though that it took me a while to find my rhythm again on these tiny boards, after having spent most of this season on the much longer and more stable Sherpas.

So on day two at Solitude I broke out the Stickies. I did not take to them on the first run. They seemed overly narrow. I hadn't been on boards so skinny for years. By the next couple of runs I was feeling more comfortable on them. One thing I noticed quickly was that they are plenty stable and plenty fast (if you wanted them to be). I rode them setback all three days. Setback feels great with these boards. With some boards a setback is so obvious and awkward. On the Stickies I felt no different than I do when I ride boards center. By the end of the day I was pretty much sold on these boards.

Day three at Brighton was a nice combination of riding groomers and glades. The Stickies handled both with ease. I made a return to riding fast, something that I haven't really been doing this season. The Stickies gave me the confidence to do so. They have great edge hold. They also cut through the chopped up snow instead of bouncing me around like my wider zero-camber boards do. This makes them not at all tiring to ride.

By day four (which was at Alta) I was totally at home on these boards. We were going off trail riding in variable snow at times. The Stickies didn't let me down. They are keepers!

Let me do a comparison between the Stickies and XLs since those are the only two boards I rode at Westfest. The Stickies are definitely more stable than the XLs. Even setback they have plenty of tail support. The Stickies are easier to skate than the XLs and hold a better edge. The Stickies do fine in a foot or so of powder, but I wouldn't choose them over the XLs if I knew the snow was deeper than a foot. The Stickies did a good job in the glades, but they were a bit more work than the XLs to turn. Plus at times it was hard to take certain tight lines in the trees because the Stickies would get going too fast. The XLs are slower and easier to make quick pivot turns. Oh, and I did take the Stickies down a few mogul runs. I actually prefer the Stickies over the XLs in the bumps because of their added stability.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of the Stickies is their traditional skiboard feel. That is something that I have lost riding wide rockered boards the past few seasons and what my quiver has been missing. I really like being back on a narrower skiboard that has camber. It takes me back to the days when I rode the skinnier Line boards like the Mike Nick Pros and Bullets. The Stickies aren't quite as narrow as the two boards I just mentioned, but they do give you that old-school skiboard experience with much added performance.

I know the Stickies were supposedly created to be Ice Coast slayers, but I think they are more than that. I know they would work well in the Midwest, which has very similar conditions as the East Coast. They'll get plenty of use from me out here on the West Coast. Will they be what I grab on a powder day, of course not. They'll be what I choose to ride when conditions are hard packed, and I just want to rip groomers and have tons of fun.

So don't let where you ride sway your decision on getting a pair of Stickies. They're very versatile boards capable of handling nearly all conditions. Order a pair. You won't regret it.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Yeah!
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Great review. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I must stop reading Sticky Icky Icky reviews. I have to fight the urge to place an order every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FSTENUF View Post
          I must stop reading Sticky Icky Icky reviews. I have to fight the urge to place an order every time.
          I ordered a pair. I don't subscribe to the single quiver philosophy, but if they live up to even half of these rave reviews, I'd be happy to get rid of a couple of redundant boards so I don't have to take them all everywhere.

Comment

Scott like the Sickies! Who would have guessed (me lol).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
            Crossbow (go to dream board)
            Most everything else over time.
            Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by fstenuf View Post
              i must stop reading sticky icky icky reviews. I have to fight the urge to place an order every time.
              resistance is futile!
              Boards:
              2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
              2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
              2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
              2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
              2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
              2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
              2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Futile

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
                Crossbow (go to dream board)
                Most everything else over time.
                Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by Fun Machine View Post
                  I don't subscribe to the single quiver philosophy
                  I've got a single quiver, it's called an F150

Comment

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
                    I've got a single quiver, it's called an F150
                    Nice!

I think of skiboards more like Pokemon --- Gotta ride 'em all!
                    Boards:
                    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                      They did arrive in time, and I rode them 3 out of the 4 days at Westfest.

I agree. They do ROCK!

I was able to get them in a foot or so of powder in Honeycomb Canyon at Solitude, and they did surprisingly well.

Let's start from the beginning of the fest. First day out (Snowbird) I rode the Blunt XLs. There was still powder to be had in the trees a day or two after the last storm. The XLs did their usual job of slaying it. I have to admit though that it took me a while to find my rhythm again on these tiny boards, after having spent most of this season on the much longer and more stable Sherpas.

So on day two at Solitude I broke out the Stickies. I did not take to them on the first run. They seemed overly narrow. I hadn't been on boards so skinny for years. By the next couple of runs I was feeling more comfortable on them. One thing I noticed quickly was that they are plenty stable and plenty fast (if you wanted them to be). I rode them setback all three days. Setback feels great with these boards. With some boards a setback is so obvious and awkward. On the Stickies I felt no different than I do when I ride boards center. By the end of the day I was pretty much sold on these boards.

Day three at Brighton was a nice combination of riding groomers and glades. The Stickies handled both with ease. I made a return to riding fast, something that I haven't really been doing this season. The Stickies gave me the confidence to do so. They have great edge hold. They also cut through the chopped up snow instead of bouncing me around like my wider zero-camber boards do. This makes them not at all tiring to ride.

By day four (which was at Alta) I was totally at home on these boards. We were going off trail riding in variable snow at times. The Stickies didn't let me down. They are keepers!

Let me do a comparison between the Stickies and XLs since those are the only two boards I rode at Westfest. The Stickies are definitely more stable than the XLs. Even setback they have plenty of tail support. The Stickies are easier to skate than the XLs and hold a better edge. The Stickies do fine in a foot or so of powder, but I wouldn't choose them over the XLs if I knew the snow was deeper than a foot. The Stickies did a good job in the glades, but they were a bit more work than the XLs to turn. Plus at times it was hard to take certain tight lines in the trees because the Stickies would get going too fast. The XLs are slower and easier to make quick pivot turns. Oh, and I did take the Stickies down a few mogul runs. I actually prefer the Stickies over the XLs in the bumps because of their added stability.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of the Stickies is their traditional skiboard feel. That is something that I have lost riding wide rockered boards the past few seasons and what my quiver has been missing. I really like being back on a narrower skiboard that has camber. It takes me back to the days when I rode the skinnier Line boards like the Mike Nick Pros and Bullets. The Stickies aren't quite as narrow as the two boards I just mentioned, but they do give you that old-school skiboard experience with much added performance.

I know the Stickies were supposedly created to be Ice Coast slayers, but I think they are more than that. I know they would work well in the Midwest, which has very similar conditions as the East Coast. They'll get plenty of use from me out here on the West Coast. Will they be what I grab on a powder day, of course not. They'll be what I choose to ride when conditions are hard packed, and I just want to rip groomers and have tons of fun.

So don't let where you ride sway your decision on getting a pair of Stickies. They're very versatile boards capable of handling nearly all conditions. Order a pair. You won't regret it.
                      Sempai,
                      Thanks for the indepth review. I may have to pick up a pair for Marianne.
                      Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                      Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                      Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                      History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

On Friday I rode the SIIs a bit more and for a first time tried them back to back center-mounted vs. setback-mounted. I seem to prefer the setback position by a small margin on both firm and soft conditions. Can't quite say why, since they are quite agreeable in the center position too.

Another thing I'm still trying to figure out is about how they carve. Unlike fully cambered and especially stiffer boards that I rode back to back with the SIIs yesterday, the SIIs disengage the edge very easily. They don't "loose" hold or slide out, rather, what I mean is, that when put on edge they don't have the tendency to try too hard to go along some predefined path along the sidecut curvature. Which is a good thing from the perspective that they usually won't surprise you by catching an edge unexpectedly. On the other hand, since their edge hold is not as strong and clearly defined as stiffer cambered boards like the Dynastar Twin that I had at hand yesterday, it sometimes feels the SIIs release the edge almost too easy - sometimes it's hard to tell if they are carving or gently skidding. Or maybe the tips and tails release easy, as I think the center is still holding the edge pretty good, but because the running length that is engaged and the board is stiffer is shorter, they don't offer as solid directional carving as cambered and stiffer boards. To be clear, they can carve nice turns, and they feel buttery and quiet doing it, with a smooth transition between holding and edge and skidding. And skid they do considerably better than stiffer and fully cambered boards the Dynastars or MNPs or the Summit Nomad that I had the chance to ski on recently. But if hard carving is your thing, I think the fully cambered boards offer a more enjoyable ride in the right snow conditions - with more immediate and defined edge hold and more fore-aft stability.

So, while I might enjoy a stiffer edgier board to carve some harder turns on occasion, I have yet to ski a short-ish board that is so good at so many things as the SIIs and has virtually no bad habits (unlike the better-carving boards that seem to be not as good as the SIIs in just about every other aspect).

One thing I did try that was new to me was the 88cm Dynastar Twin, the shorter of the twins from Dynastar. First time for me on it and on such a short board in general, the wide Blunts notwithstanding. I did not expect such stable ride from them at 88cm - more direct and immediate contact with the snow than with the SIIs and way more than the Blunts. After a few runs I got used to the wobbly character these short boards have when I try to do the "wrong" size turn (tips and tails alternating in catching and releasing, in a situation where you'd want a smooth skid instead) and enjoyed riding them. In contrast, one of the aspects I appreciate in the SIIs is that their tips and tails won't do that nearly as much as most other skiboards I've ridden - they are quieter and smoother because of that, causing less anxiety and easier to control. Still I'll keep the 88 Dynastars for the season and withdraw them from my for sale list. While I don't see myself spending a whole day on them like I could on the SIIs, they are fun, being so short and light, excellent small turn carvers.

Comment

Working...
                        X