No announcement yet.

Sticky Icky Icky Review -- Ice Coast Killers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rode the SII this morning set back (4 cm in my case using a modified Bomber fixed binding). An excellent skiboard for all skill levels IMO. They track well without any drama when riding chopped up groomed or icy conditions and they are so easy to carve the arc you want to avoid moving pylons.

At noon I swapped the bindings with Maria's releasables set back 4 cm (modified risers). She became a speed demon on the SII. I will not be riding the SII again anytime soon now that she has claimed them as her own!
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

This post might not go well. It's late and much time has been spent in the bar. Full on day on the Stickies today. Wow. I just love this board. It could have been made for me. The precision is something I have been missing since changing to the wide boards, I just didn't realise how much. I have had these boards in all conditions today except deep deep powder. By that I mean more than over my boot tops, and they have been fantastic. I am a carver by nature and this little board is the archetypal carver. Really fast edge to edge and there is so much edge grip available I can carve with zero skid. It's amazing. The board just goes quiet. Makes no sound as I carve a trench.
      They do hook a little if I am careless with my angulation, but it is never intrusive.
      Tried a couple of off piste steeps and they were just bliss.
      Have already packed XLs away. Won't be using them this trip. Stickies all the way.
      I did ride the XLs late today for direct comparison. The XL is an amazingly competent board and I had a great time on them but I was missing the absolute precision of the Stickies.
      Stickies ROCK.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
        .....At noon I swapped the bindings with Maria's releasables set back 4 cm (modified risers). She became a speed demon on the SII. I will not be riding the SII again anytime soon now that she has claimed them as her own!
        Shhh .... don't post stuff like this ... I am trying to keep these a secret from Mrs. Wookie and the Wookettes.

Note to all the wives/girlfriends/daughters eyeing up their husband's/boyfriend's/father's SIIs .... Move along these are not the skiboards you are looking for ...
        Boards:
        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

The rocker and mild flex has a lot to do with how well these perform in soft conditions. Perhaps the Riser contributes to that too, not by just offering a setback, but allowing the board to move underfoot more than it would even with non-release bindings like the Receptors.

After almost a week of above freezing temps, and two days in a row in the high 40F, the snow was expectedly mushy and heavy. Mashed potatoes mixed with wet granular. Yesterday the rockered Blunts demonstrated great float and no tendency to hang-up the tips on piles of stuff, no matter how deep. The SIIs had less float, but too never slowed down. Today I tried the KTPs (with centered bindings, but I don't think setback would have changed things that much) - they were not happy in the same conditions - the tips would not go over the piles of wet snow, instead they got bogged down and attempted to induce face plants. The KTPs required me to be in the backseat and go slow. Switched to the SIIs and they had none of it. Despite the smaller area, they floated enough and absolutely no bogging down due to tips getting hung on piles of wet heavy stuff. I could feel the board flexing up and over the snow, where the tips of the KTPs would try to crush the piles and go through. In cold light stuff that has not been and issue previously with the KTPs for me, where I found their bust through and stay over behavior quite satisfying. But today was the first time I tried them in deep and heavy stuff - wrong board, need rocker and softer tips for this...

Comment

Another huge day on the Stickies. Skied some much more challenging stuff at much higher speeds. Stickies aced it. Not at all tiring to ride. I love how I can ride a huge radius carve without the tail trying to pull me round too tightly. There are three of us in the group, one on XLs, one on regular skis and myself. Of the three, the Stickies have the best glide.
            I am riding them set back all the time.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
            Crossbow (go to dream board)
            Most everything else over time.
            Go Android

Comment

another S2 review...

After a bout of rain closures at our friendly local resort, I finally had a chance to try out the new SII 104’s yesterday. Usual conditions here consist of ice topped by an icy surface underneath a solid ice base, but yesterday it was soft and slushy. (not complaining, the alternative is---nothing---and the staff here does a great job considering the hand they’re dealt).

Given the conditions, I rode these strictly with the 3cm set back, which seems to be the popular option for most surface conditions. I generally prefer a dead center mount, especially on hardpack. When it’s icy again (which is a given), I’ll try center and see what happens.

For bindings, I used both a pair of experimental nonrelease softboot bindings and hard boots over a pair of RVL8 Receptors modified to accept release bindings. For all practical purposes, these Receptors perform the same function and ride just like Spruce risers. The softboot bindings are a topic for another thread, but they’re a custom, extra-narrow job made just for the SII’s (or any 4” waisted skiboard) which attempts to minimize boot height above the board.

Long story short, these appear to be a winner. After having ridden longboards, megawide skiboards (Blunt XL’s and RC’s) and even long skis almost exclusively the last few years, getting back on a regulation skiboard was a hoot. Most importantly, this model is very predictable and well-behaved. At speed, even on rough, slushy conditions, they evidenced no flopping, flapping, hooking, grabbing or other squirrely behavior. Everything is easy with these skiboards. They’re not a surfboard like the RC’s or a grip-monster like the Sherpas, but a happy, competent compromise between these extremes with no evident bad habits.

Sometimes, I hesitate to recommend wide, stiff, high camber, tight radius, park-oriented skiboards to newer riders. These high-performance models appeal to skilled, aggressive riders, but may not always be ideal for someone looking for a lower-effort way to get into the sport or even more experienced riders who don’t always go like they’re killing snakes. The SII’s may fill this niche very well.

The choppy, soft slush conditions we had yesterday were awkward for some skiers and many were complaining. I felt no need to complain, the SII’s handled this sort of surface with ease. At the bottom of one particular run in full view of a particular lift, the attendant made a comment after I had passed through several times. He said “I’ll bet you have a pair of 230’s at home!” I didn’t know what to make of this, and replied “I have a lot of stuff at home”, which is absolutely true. I'm also 6'4", 230 lbs. It's likely he thought it odd for a tall guy to be on such small skis and assumed I was a competent skier who was purposely handicapping himself with “shorties” at our little resort, which is not true. In an awkward way, I believe he was complimenting the skiboard’s performance.

One more comment: I noticed only nuanced differences between riding these with soft and hard boots. This is the narrowest board I’ve ridden with soft boots and was very happy with the result, which was a very ice-skate-like sensation of having the edges “underneath” your foot as opposed to “outside” your foot. It’s been a while since I felt the urge to “cross-over” when making a turn. Resist this urge!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                ... It’s been a while since I felt the urge to “cross-over” when making a turn....
                Challenge accepted!! I am so trying to do a crossover this weekend. I can do it wearing 40lbs of goalie gear ... I'm pretty confident I can pull it off with the Stickies.

It's funny my wife commented last weekend that I look more like I am skating than skiing on the Stickies. I find myself pushing out of turns or skating while moving at speed like they were ice skates. They make me happy.
                Boards:
                2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Make sure you do it on camera! I plan to be at Elk tomorrow to document it. If the stickies pose a problem, I'll have the 88cm Dynastars for you to try; or if too easy, I'd like to see you do a crossover on long skis

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                  Challenge accepted!! I am so trying to do a crossover this weekend. I can do it wearing 40lbs of goalie gear ... I'm pretty confident I can pull it off with the Stickies.

It's funny my wife commented last weekend that I look more like I am skating than skiing on the Stickies. I find myself pushing out of turns or skating while moving at speed like they were ice skates. They make me happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                    Never really thought about it, but how do goalies cross over with pads on? Especially the swelled up pads they use these days? I guess you would know ;-)

If you can cross over with skiboards, you're a better man than I. I've tried (with 90cm skiboards), and went down like I got clocked by Bob Probert.

Who's the best skating goalie you've ever seen? Ron Hextall?

Comment

Never really thought about it, but how do goalies cross over with pads on? Especially the swelled up pads they use these days? I guess you would know ;-)
                      Modern pads are actually lighter and closer to the leg than what we used to wear. Cross overs are not that hard when you live in the pads for hours at a time in practice as a kid. Fortunately there is never a need to do it in a game.

If you can cross over with skiboards, you're a better man than I. I've tried (with 90cm skiboards), and went down like I got clocked by Bob Probert.
                      With the Stickies I keep crossing my legs while sitting on the lifts. We'll see if it transfers to the snow.

Who's the best skating goalie you've ever seen? Ron Hextall?
                      Hexy was/is the best puck handler I've ever seen but the best skater was Marty Brodeur. He skated better than some of the defensemen that played in front of him.
                      Boards:
                      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Closing the Season out on Stickies

Well as of yesterday the season is over for me. Thanks to winter storm Stella local conditions at the close of the season were really good and pushed things further out than I expected. I spent most of this season on the SIIs and wrapped up my final days on them so this final review addition pulls together all my thoughts on the skiboards.

RVL8 created a real winner with the SIIs and I hope Greco orders a new production run of them for the 17/18 season so more riders can enjoy them. While these were enjoyed by riders from East to West in the U.S. (and all over the world) I stand by my initial claim that these are East Coast Killer boards. The narrower profile than other recent RVL8 boards make these much more capable in hard pack conditions but, with gentle rocker, they have non of the bad habits of their full cambered predecessors.

Interestingly they ride with a much longer turning radius than their design would suggest making these a super fun board for cruising the mountain making long connected turns. And while they cruise comfortably they are nimble and can be pushed into tight aggressive turns. They skate easier than full rocker and wider boards. All in they are "Just Right, Goldilocks" boards in the same tradition of the RVL8 Revolts and Spruce 120s. They are also boards that offer something for every skill level. Easy to use for novice riders and wide capabilities for advanced riders.

The SIIs only let me down in two situations:

1 - Deep, heavy snow.
                        2 - Steep icy/slush mix spring conditions

The issues with these conditions has less to do with the boards and more to do with my size. At 6'+ and 200lb+ skiboards are a balancing act. At my size when the snow gets deep the SIIs don't provide enough surface area and in aggressive icy steeps I can overpower the effective edge length and with set-back I have limited tail support. Since these conditions are rare for me the SIIs will likely stay at the core of my quiver along with the Spliffs in reserve for powder days.

What could replace the SIIs or improve on them? Simple answer .... Length! This is the part of the season where I lobby for the SII XL (again). With Jeff at Spruce out of the new longboard market there is a void that could be filled with a 120-125cm version of the SII. A long version of the SII would provide all the relaxed cruising fun of the Spruce 120 but with a firmer profile and non of the "catchy" tips and tails given the added benefits of rocker. Will it ever happen? I don't know. Frankly a 110 cm of the SIIs would be cool and would still allow for non-release bindings. We shall see what next season brings.

Direct note to Greco -- If you are considering a longer SII I would be willing to test pilot these and invest early to help with development.
                        Boards:
                        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

I love them too, but I really have nothing to compare it with. These are the first board I have bought in about 10-15 years. I came off from some twin tip 120's that were a no name (Yahoo) ski but lots of fun.
                          When I was in the market to get more skiboards I found this site. And great timing as I just had my taxes done and getting a nice chunk back. So I got 2 new boards and 3 new release bindings and risers for the family. Then I bought up a bunch of other boards 10 or so to try and have as loaners.
                          My first trip was to Mammoth and used them SII's and didn't take them off or lend them out to anyone else. My son went thru a couple boards to find one he liked as did his wife. She went back to a non release Line as she said she didn't like the feel or the weight of the riser and binding, I think she was on a to stiff of a ski and it didn't respond the way she was use to. Something tells me I'll be lending her my SII's and needing another set before to long.
                          Lucky me I found this site as it's given me new life in skiing. I hope to make the Shreadfest X and meet some of the people on here and on the Facebook page..
                          Season pass to Mammoth and they're open until July so I'll be getting some more days in this season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tom91381 View Post
                            .....Lucky me I found this site as it's given me new life in skiing......
                            Very cool!

Originally posted by Tom91381 View Post
                            .....Season pass to Mammoth and they're open until July so I'll be getting some more days in this season......
                            Lucky you again. My season is done. I just got back from a week at Beaver Creek (CO) and the local PA/NJ resorts are wrapped up for the season (or close to it). Enjoy the snow pack at Mammoth!!
                            Boards:
                            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Amen Brother Wookie

Just these, nothing else !