Sticky Icky Icky Review -- Ice Coast Killers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky Icky Icky Review -- Ice Coast Killers

I have been out a few times but was holding off on the riding my new Sticky Icky Icky as coverage was thin and I didn't want to ruin the bases on my first run. Last night I could no longer wait on got them on the hill ...... WHY DID I WAIT???

STICKY ICKY ICKY (FIRST IMPRESSIONS)
    After a season of riding the Spliffs and messing around with "short skis" and Condors (Regular and RCs). I looked down at my feet last night and something didn't feel right. Was I really going to have fun on something as narrow and short as the SIIs? Short answer ... YES!

The SIIs go back to Skiboarding's roots. They embody everything that was great about the Line 96, MNPs, Revolts and other sub-105cm cambered skiboards of old but they are all those boards evolved to the next level. The very slight tip and tail rocker takes away all the grabby edge catches that existed in some of those traditional boards. On the flat they ride small like the 88cm Blunts ... Easy to spin and almost feel like you are wearing nothing. On edge they engage like the Revolts giving you the advantage of the full board length to carve into the hardest hardpack. All at once the SIIs are big and small.

These boards are perfectly suited for on piste riding. The narrower width makes them fast edge to edge with none of the transition slip on ice and hardpack of their wider bodies cousins. If you are an East Coast rider, predominately stay on groomers, or are looking for an in-bounds board to round out your quiver this is the board. This is also a great board for all skill levels. It would be easy for new riders to pick-up quickly (especially skaters) and advanced riders can make these boards sing. For icy East Coast days this is now my go to board reserving the Spliffs for light powder and off piste riding out West.

This is a board for the skiboarding purest. If you are reading posts about mini-ski and wondering if the skiboarding world gave up on making something fun under 110cm this is board for you. My only worry about my boards is I will bring them to Elk Jam and either Macrophotog or Kocho will steal them.

CONTEXT OF FIRST RIDE: I rode these centered and "box stock" with no additional tuning or waxing. Build quality on these is great and mine were ready to go straight from the elves in Santa Greco's workshop. Conditions were typical East Coast (Ice Coast) conditions -- 100% man made snow that had frozen over, softened, and refrozen into hard pack with some icy spots. The SIIs held a good edge with no chatter when I needed it and slarved consistently when I wanted to slide and scrub speed.

MORE TO COME AS I GET MORE TIME ON THEM .....
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
    This is a board for the skiboarding purest. If you are reading posts about mini-ski and wondering if the skiboarding world gave up on making something fun under 110cm this is board for you. My only worry about my boards is I will bring them to Elk Jam and either Macrophotog or Kocho will steal them.
    Great report Wookie, and very encouraging. I have a pair due to arrive shortly, and our nearby resort (known locally as "the ice palace") is open for the season...

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
      Great report Wookie, and very encouraging. I have a pair due to arrive shortly, and our nearby resort (known locally as "the ice palace") is open for the season...
      Cool. Let me know what you think of them. I was skeptical that I would like them but really enjoyed them. Really impressed with the build quality on these and hope Greco carries the 4x4 plus 4x10 setback to other boards. Would love to see that on the Spliffs.
      Boards:
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
        My only worry about my boards is I will bring them to Elk Jam and either Macrophotog or Kocho will steal them.
        All I want is 3 runs. I promise to return them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
          All I want is 3 runs. I promise to return them....
          He he! I know how fast you are ... all you need is one run and I would never be able to catch you to get my boards back.

All kidding aside .... Anyone who comes to Elk Jam who wants to try them is welcome to. They are fun though it feels weird to look down at my boots and have them wider than may boards after several seasons on wide boards. Also, I bet these would be a blast with soft boots but may need a very tall riser to keep the snowboard binding off the snow.
          Boards:
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Please try them set back. For me, it makes a great board stellar

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
            Crossbow (go to dream board)
            Most everything else over time.
            Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post

I'll try it but historically I don't like boards setback even on powder days. It may just be my riding style which tends to be a bit "in the backseat". When I go with setback I often feel like I am lacking tail support.
              Boards:
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Never thought I would hear you say this😉
                Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

It's great to hear they hold a good edge on "real" ice. Not just the West Coast stuff we call ice.
                  Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I 'm glad you like them! I hope to make it to Elk and bring some other narrow-ish boards to compare to: Summit Nomad, Dynastar Twin, maybe some others. The Nomad is very close in dimensions so it would be interesting to see how other design attributes make a difference (or not).

Comment

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
                      I 'm glad you like them! I hope to make it to Elk and bring some other narrow-ish boards to compare to: Summit Nomad, Dynastar Twin, maybe some others. The Nomad is very close in dimensions so it would be interesting to see how other design attributes make a difference (or not).
                      I might be wrong about the nomad but I think it has a much more relaxed sidecut?

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
                      Go Android

Comment

Sticky Icky Icky Review -- Ice Coast Killers

I might be wrong about the nomad but I think it has a much more relaxed sidecut .....
                        From the specs:
                        Nomads 680 turn radius (13.0/11.0/13.0) @ 99cm long
                        Stickies 700 turn radius (13.0/10.6/13.0) @ 104cm long.

Nomads look to be a shade wider underfoot but with their shorter length the net turn radius is similar. I think the rocker on the Stickies makes them perform like a fully cambered board with a more aggressive side cut. I have found this true with most rockered skis/skiboards. I'm not sure if these differences make one more relaxed than the other but these are the specs for what it's worth.

I rode the Nomads once (two runs) while I was letting another rider try my Spruce 120s 3 seasons ago. I really don't recall their performance. We'll see how they compare at Elk this season.
                        Boards:
                        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

OK, thanks. Not much in it.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
                          Go Android

Comment

OK, thanks. Not much in it.
                            Back in the day, I had a pair of Nomads (just recently sold them). Here's a cut-and-paste all-purpose review, which also applies to many, many other skiboards:

>These are fine, I like them okay. I'll have my 120's back now, please. <

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                              Back in the day, I had a pair of Nomads (just recently sold them). Here's a cut-and-paste all-purpose review, which also applies to many, many other skiboards:

>These are fine, I like them okay. I'll have my 120's back now, please. <
                              [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]

Go Android

Comment

Working...
                              X