Head Alpine Walker Approach Ski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Alpine Walker Approach Ski

I was going to tack this on to the Ethan Too thread but figured I would start a new one to keep that discussion clean. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Head's Alpine Walker ski package. I am hoping to try a pair that a buddy owns during my Colorado trip in two weeks. They are a neat little package that I am surprised has not been mentioned on this forum. They are an approach ski complete starter package that Head put together which includes:
    • A 130cm ski with a 10m radius - 124/80/106 sidecut
    • AAAmbition 10 backcountry bindings
    • Telescoping poles
    • Skins
    • Carry bag that can be used as a shoulder back or worn like a backpack

For some of the off piste enthusiasts on this forum I would think it would be a nice package. Seems like a neat little product offering the only problem is I cannot find it for sale anywhere near me. My local ski shop is a Head Dealer and they don't carry it likely due to the fact that backcountry skiing is a novelty here.

Link here -----> http://shop.head.com/us/ski/skis/fre...-walker-3.html

Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

They look center-mounted...

Comment

Wookie, would be interested in your view on these if you got to try them out? Cheers

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you know what your friend paid for the setup?
        Last edited by Fedfan; 03-10-2016, 08:16 AM. Reason: omitted 'what'
        171cm/190lbs
        Current Favorites:
        RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
        Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
        Other boards I'm trying:
        Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

I'd be interested to learn about these boards too from Wookie (and others). In terms of price, the only place that Google reveals to be selling them is asking I think $450 plus $99 shipping. They have some extra information on their web site about the binding system. I'd be interested to learn about the flex of these skis and how they would compare to something like the Jr. Caddy, which has similar specs. I saw a video animation about the Walkers that implied a whole family with kids and adults would be on them, so I don't know what that means in terms of performance and handling of the ski for such a wide range of riders... The binding system only goes to 350mm, which is probably OK for most but I can't fit even my "smaller" boots in that...

Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
          Do you know your friend paid for the setup?

Comment

Originally posted by Motorsbuzz1966 View Post
            Wookie, would be interested in your view on these if you got to try them out? ...
            I did not get to try them out and considering it's 80 degrees in my neck of the woods today it looks like it will have to wait until next season.
            Boards:
            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
              I did not get to try them out and considering it's 80 degrees in my neck of the woods today it looks like it will have to wait until next season.
              Weather be crazy!
              Boards/Bindings:
              2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
              2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Wow! I didn't know it was 80° anywhere in the country yet.
                171cm/190lbs
                Current Favorites:
                RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
                Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
                Other boards I'm trying:
                Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

We've been hitting record 90s in Phoenix for a few weeks now. Not every day, but it's definitely warm. Snowbowl is still skiing pretty well because of the deep base we built up early, but it's going fast.

Wookie; how many days did you get to ski this season? Apart from the Elk Jam, I don't remember you skiing too much[emoji53]
                  Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                    Wookie; how many days did you get to ski this season? Apart from the Elk Jam, I don't remember you skiing too much[emoji53]
                    Only 14 mountain days so far and 6 of those came last week at Beaver Creek. That's about a half a season for me which is due to warm weather and other issue. I'm trying to get 1-2 days more in this weekend to use up some discount passes and then the season is probably done for me. Last year my kids were ice skating in our backyard from Mid December to Mid March. This year we didn't even set the rink up it was so warm. Most of the resorts here never got any natural snow ... all man made stuff ..... .... I blame President Trump for this bad weather and I am considering moving to Canada.
                    Boards:
                    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Most of the resorts here never got any natural snow ... all man made stuff ...
                      Here is a screenshot from the web cam of the small hill closest to my house .... NOT GOOD! .... they only got about 9 real weeks in this season and never got 100% open.

Boards:
                      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

In the mid 80s yesterday, high 70s the day before that and today ... Hope there will be some snow left in Utah at the end of March when we're booked to go there. Still shows below freezing most nights there and not that much above, plus the base is good this year.

Comment

They are £350 over here, think the spruce head caddy Jr. Is a better deal,but with will be for next year now for me, going to practice on our indoor slopes till then with my blunts,emans and raptors and see how I feel about them with a bit more time on them,really want to learn to ride the blunts properly as they could be my snow sliding solution give my dodgy leg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is a screenshot from the web cam of the small hill closest to my house .... NOT GOOD! .... they only got about 9 real weeks in this season and never got 100% open.

I feel your pain. Even though Elk is trying to make it one more week, the picture below is why I'm taking why wife to the Philadelpia Flower Show today instead of skiing -

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
                              I feel your pain. Even though Elk is trying to make it one more week, the picture below is why I'm taking why wife to the Philadelpia Flower Show today instead of skiing
                              Sad season. At least we both got out West for a bit to salvage a bit of the season. I will be trying to ski Big Boulder tomorrow with my oldest daughter. We have a couple of free passes and temps are supposed to drop overnight. Knowing JFBB they will have whatever snow they have in pretty good shape even if it only holds up for half a day. The fact the BB is not open during the day midweek helps it extend the season.
                              Boards:
                              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Working...
                              X