The 2016 109 Spliff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisd4421 View Post
    .....One question for those who preordered. Release or non release? .....
    I am planning on using release bindings on these.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by chrisd4421 View Post
      One question for those who preordered. Release or non release?
      Non-release for me.
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

[quote name="chrisd4421" post=151214]One question for those who preordered. Release or non release?[/QUOTE]Non-release for me.

Non Release for me...
        rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
        ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

I think they are "quite" similar RVL8 Rockered Condor.. and I have to ask if they have the same Maneuverability and the same predisposition to Moguls..

Comment

Just ordered my Spliffs.

Release bindings for me.

Comment

Non-release for me too.
              sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by rickylink View Post
                .... The stability is brilliant, a lot like a 120 actually,

You had me at "a lot like the 120". I think I stopped reading there.

Note to Greco The "a lot like the 120" text needs to be a hyperlink to the preorder page just for me, Sempai, and Bill. And rickylink!!
                Wookie didn't need his ESP to predict that my preorder's already in. Tuned-in skiboarders know the 120 remains the gold standard. We'll see soon enough how this bad boy stacks up.

Valmorel, your comments about the board being suited for "upright" boots caught my attention. I'm sure you can guess why ;-) Is there some aspect of the ride quality that lends itself to this? Jack noted at shredfest last year that the upright riding style must be popular in Missouri.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  Wookie didn't need his ESP to predict that my preorder's already in. Tuned-in skiboarders know the 120 remains the gold standard. We'll see soon enough how this bad boy stacks up.

Valmorel, your comments about the board being suited for "upright" boots caught my attention. I'm sure you can guess why ;-) Is there some aspect of the ride quality that lends itself to this? Jack noted at shredfest last year that the upright riding style must be popular in Missouri.
                  The tail support is really good so if you get back on the tails it's OK, but more importantly, because the board has a neutral feel, pressuring the tails a little doesn't immediately cause the board to get off line. It's not the kind of board you would need to blunt the tails just to get it to behave, it's great straight out of the box, so a comfortable upright stance works really well.
                  Crossbow (go to dream board)
                  Most everything else over time.
                  Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    ..... Tuned-in skiboarders know the 120 remains the gold standard......
                    Amen. Testify brother Bill.

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                    The tail support is really good so if you get back on the tails it's OK, but more importantly, because the board has a neutral feel, pressuring the tails a little doesn't immediately cause the board to get off line. It's not the kind of board you would need to blunt the tails just to get it to behave, it's great straight out of the box, so a comfortable upright stance works really well.
                    I am sooooo excited about these boards. My only worry is the wife will steal them. I gave her the option to preorder two sets but she passed on the opportunity.
                    Boards:
                    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by ashman View Post
                      I think they are "quite" similar RVL8 Rockered Condor.. and I have to ask if they have the same Maneuverability and the same predisposition to Moguls..
                      Perhaps Valmorel and Gromit will comment on the differences as I know they have ridden both boards. ... The main difference in design is that the new board is cambered with less pronounced rocker , the Rockered Condor is zero camber with more pronounced Rocker. The width and length and side cut are as you say similiar but I do think that the differenet camber, rocker design will cause the boards to have significant differences in performance in different conditions and also different from the regular Condor which is cambered but not rockered. Basically we now have three super wide 110 boards .. one with big rocker and zero camber, one with less pronounced rocker and + camber, and one with no Rocker and + camber .
                      Boards :
                      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                      Boots
                      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                      Bindings:
                      Zero Pro Non release Binding
                      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                        Perhaps Valmorel and Gromit will comment on the differences as I know they have ridden both boards. ... The main difference in design is that the new board is cambered with less pronounced rocker , the Rockered Condor is zero camber with more pronounced Rocker. The width and length and side cut are as you say similiar but I do think that the different camber, rocker design will cause the boards to have significant differences in performance in different conditions and also different from the regular Condor which is cambered but not rockered. Basically we now have three super wide 110 boards .. one with big rocker and zero camber, one with less pronounced rocker and + camber, and one with no Rocker and + camber .
                        I haven't ridden the Blunt XLs in moguls really and there weren't any at the snow dome to try the Spliffs in. A couple of seasons back, I rode down a steep, narrow mogul field in The Three Valleys on Blunts (the original 88cm ones). Those were epic. Mega manoeuvrable! Amazing fun.
                        Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
                        Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
                        Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

I've pre-ordered some Spliffs too - Release bindings

I couldn't resist the Spliffs or that brilliant graphic on the topsheets, so I've pre-ordered a pair too.

I'll be using release bindings. Spruce Risers with Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings. The equal of any non-release binding, in ability.
                          Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
                            I'll be using release bindings. Spruce Risers with Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings. The equal of any non-release binding, in ability.
                            By "the equal of any non release binding in ability" are you just referring to the connection or the entire set up? I feel that my bindings on risers produce and very different feel and ride characteristics over my non release bindings due to the differences in height and weight distribution.

Just asking, I've looked at the Attack 13s a few times but not pulled the trigger because of the riser.
                            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Spruce 2015 Pro Prime Plus Risers & Release Bindings

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                              By "the equal of any non release binding in ability" are you just referring to the connection or the entire set up? I feel that my bindings on risers produce and very different feel and ride characteristics over my non release bindings due to the differences in height and weight distribution.

Just asking, I've looked at the Attack 13s a few times but not pulled the trigger because of the riser.
                              The entire set-up. Tyrolia Attack 13s and Spruce Risers as a system.

I noticed no difference when I switched from RVL8 Receptors to Attack 13s and Risers. Yes, the stack height (topsheet of skiboard to sole of ski boot) at 40mm is about 15mm more. IMHO that makes little difference, in practice. Without the usual slop, inherent in a bog-standard, release binding's toe pieces but not in the toe pieces of the Attack 13's, increasing the stack height by such a small amount has negligible effect.

May I humbly suggest that you read valmorel's thread on the Attack 13 bindings and Spruce Risers for further information and opinion?
                              Last edited by Gromit; 09-02-2015, 02:08 PM. Reason: Corrected thread hyperlink
                              Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

May I humbly suggest that you read valmorel's thread on the Attack 13 bindings and Spruce Risers for further information and opinion?
                                I'm familiar with the thread and how the adjustable toe piece is makes a much more secure connection. Whilst this would definitely give better feel and response, I'm not convinced this is enough to put the overall set up on par with a non release binding. I didn't see that comparison in the thread either.

Perhaps the variance for me is here;

Yes, the stack height (topsheet of skiboard to sole of ski boot) at 40mm is about 15mm more. IMHO that makes little difference, in practice. Without the usual slop, inherent in a bog-standard, release binding's toe pieces but not in the toe pieces of the Attack 13's, increasing the stack height by such a small amount has negligible effect.
                                For me, a 15mm difference in stack height is really significant. When I added an extra riser pad to my FF Pros to help with leverage on the wider Blunts and XLs, the 5mm difference made a huge impact on performance. The Spruce Riser is three times that height. There is also the feel of the rubber pad versus the aluminum riser and the difference in weight distribution and flex.

I still think it's worth considering as I'll be on Spruce Bindings anyway this year. Anything that brings the feel closer to a non release binding would definitely be a plus. Of course I'm still holding out hope for a direct fix solution.
                                Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Working...
                                X