X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit - Invertigo Rocker 118

Summit Invertigo Rocker 118's
    Atomic XTE 10 Demo bindings

We received 30 plus inches a few days back and now it was time to get out to checkout some new boards. So I got out yesterday on a set of Summit Invertigo Rocker 118's.

Conditions

Slopes had been pretty well skied off, with lots of spots 1 ft of heavy powder, crud, ice etc. Grooves and piles of heavy snow all over the place - No pure fresh light powder other than in the glads.

I have "RVL8" Rockered Condors, "Spruce Mountain" 125 LE and Sherpas. The Spruce 125 LE's has been my go to boards period. I love them. Other than deeper powder (over 8") they are a one board does all for me.

If the powder is deeper or I am in fresh powder glades I could go to RC's or Shirpa's. I would switch to my Sherpa in all out powder in set back position. I had the chance to get out on the RC's in deep powder and liked the ability to stay centered and float really well.

Here is my take on the 118s. I thought this may be of interest since I don't see much about them out there. I am 6' and around 180 pounds with out gear and extra clothing.

The Summit Rocker 118s are great in the conditions I loved my 125s in and more! I do not get the chance for clean deep powder but these float so well I hope some one gets them out and rights a review.

Board specs - hope this makes some sense -

Full contact point measured from tip to contact and tail to contact 68.5 cm spread, (they ski like they are short in this area) camber section 61cm inside of that about 2 to 3mm camber (leaves 7.5 cm contacting ground with no load), 23cm last base contact point to front of board, 21cm last contact to tail, 115.6 total length top of tip to top of tail. Factory mount binding seem to be set back about 2cm in standard settings. Make any sense? A bit of an engineer here.

A)They are firmer in flex than the 125LE's, which I like. I believe the firmness of the board helps transfer lift in powder. I felt more support from the board forward and aft when I needed it.
    B)They seem to me to be easier to initiate turns with. Most likely because slight camber "2 to 3mm" and asymmetrical board.
    C)For some reason I am able to switch to fakey at speed and back again easier than with my 125s or any other board for that matter. I also carve in fakey pretty easy. I am not sure why as these do have some camber.
    D)With my 125 LE's I can hear the tips slap on chopped up hard pack at times. Not an issue at all just softer tips so they can bounce a bit. None of that with the 118s.
    E)These felt light. I have not weighed the boards but it was a perception. Should make little difference in reality. Maybe I will tire less in the long run.
    F)These do have 2mm or so camber but I couldn't feel it, although it could be the reason for faster turn initiation and easier control. Not that extra control was needed, but its there.
    G)The 7 cm reduction in length compared to the 125LE is actually quite nice with no apparent loss of anything. Yet gain in control.
    H)These boards are fast. I use F4 paste wax as I am not setup yet for hot wax and I keep up with my sons skiing easily.
    I)The top sheet on the board is quite amazing. Not sure how its done or what it is but, so far very durable, cool look. Looks like a clear coat of snake skin. You can't see it in the pictures.

End result:

These boards will take the place of my 125 LE boards. I have headed into the glads with them more and they have performed well. Do remember I am in the North East our general conditions apply. I look forward to getting out in fresh new powder to see how they do as well. I did get out in about 1 plus feet of blown powder and they were a blast, great lift, easy carving etc. We will have to see if they take the place of other boards. First impressions leave me wondering which boards will be redundant or obsolete. Although I have no issue with redundancy's. I do see these as my new goto boards. I may even start bringing only these to the mountain. They do it all.

Just a side note. I had a woman I have been helping with ski boarding all on corduroy, switch to my 118 boards from her favorite boards "87 Jades". We switched after getting off the lift at the top. A big plus with these bindings. I skied down on the Jades and had to grab another set of boards at the lodge. She finished the day on them. She said they felt easier than the Jades to ski.

I have now skied them @ Stow, Ragged, Wachusett. Wachusett in about every condition, Ragged in the perfect 20 degree day groomed to perfection (glades as well) and Stow with snow coming down on and off heavy at times, wind, ice, powder 6" to 8". I am liking these more and more each time I ski them. May be the board for New England. I forgot to mention I don't do parks so nothing on that from me.

Pro's - Demo binding allows you to share with anyone with interest at any time and any place, as well as move boot forward and back of center as you feel needed.

Con's ? - No 4x10 mounting inserts, some local shops refuse to mount bindings, Summit of course will mount several binding types.
    Twoowt Lions RVL8 Rockered Condor-Revel8 SlapDash "Crayon"-Spuce Mountain "Sherpa" 130 Red Plaid-"125 LE" White Boards-120 "Chair Lift"-Summit Boards "Marauder 125SE"-"Rocker Inverigo 118"-"Custom 110"-"Nomad 99""Jade 87"-2014 Spruce Mountain "Pro Sport Riser" Tyrolia SL 100 Bindings (2 sets-325mm & 295mm settings)-Line FF Pro & FF Cam None Release Bindings-2013/14 Nordica "13/14 Cruise 80 & 60" ski boot

Thanks for the detailed review. Glad the boards are working well for you.
    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks for the review!
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Hope that someone with more expirience gets a chance to give them a shot. I have a good amount of boards so I have tried a bunch, but have only been on SkiBoards since 13/14 and 14/15.
        Twoowt Lions RVL8 Rockered Condor-Revel8 SlapDash "Crayon"-Spuce Mountain "Sherpa" 130 Red Plaid-"125 LE" White Boards-120 "Chair Lift"-Summit Boards "Marauder 125SE"-"Rocker Inverigo 118"-"Custom 110"-"Nomad 99""Jade 87"-2014 Spruce Mountain "Pro Sport Riser" Tyrolia SL 100 Bindings (2 sets-325mm & 295mm settings)-Line FF Pro & FF Cam None Release Bindings-2013/14 Nordica "13/14 Cruise 80 & 60" ski boot

Comment

great review - thanks! I've been curious about these boards, or at least about the design specifications of them. . .

Comment

Thanks for the review. I have been emailing Doc to see if I could get these with inserts but have not received any replies. They are an interesting design but without 4x4 or 4x10 inserts they are a non-starter for me.
            Boards:
            2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
            2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
            2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
            2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
            2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
            2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
            2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Dont hold your breath

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
              Thanks for the review. I have been emailing Doc to see if I could get these with inserts but have not received any replies. They are an interesting design but without 4x4 or 4x10 inserts they are a non-starter for me.
              Well I think he will most likely stay clear of that with his feelings on the riser .... no need to go there .... we know it is what it is. I may grab a pair and install the inserts in my shop. It would be nice . I would do 4x10 with set back set - not 4x4 even though they ride small they are 118's.

Comment

Clarification small on groomed chord and big in powder .....

Comment

Uploaded pics for KBell

Boards/Bindings:
                  2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                  2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                  2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                  2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                  Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                  Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Huge thanks Sempai!! I hope the skin is noticeable in the pics. The last one was to show the texture.

Comment

I think this maybe revelant to this thread. I think I found a very similar board that happens to be a ski. Chased him down the mountain thinking it was the first SkiBoarder I had seen on the mountain. Turns out he was on skis. They looked so fat I swore they were long boards . Here is what they were ..... Nordica BUSHYWAYNE

http://www.nordicausa.com/products/bushywayneflat/

Notice the forward and aft design and they call them CAMROCKS! Sweet..... Very much what the 118's are in small scale .... The guy I followed down was saying the same about these skis as I am about the boards ... Hey I wrote mine first!

Comment

I really like the idea of adjustable bindings, and I think on a long-ish skiboard, for people with smaller feet, they will actually allow the board to flex enough. For a shorter boards and for people with large feet, I think the board will ride much better with a center mounted setup. With a 369mm boot on my 94cm Head Rods, I simply cannot flex the board to become curved during a turn - so it doesn't carve turns cleanly. The ends of the board are too close to the bindings, and there is too much board underfoot between the bindings, so the pressure is mainly in the center. With a long ski, the front and rear exert equal and a bit more pressure than the middle, so the ski arches cleanly. For me it probably maintains some forced camber underfoot as that's where mot of the pressure is... If I press in the center of the Head, without a shoe mounted, it bends fine, but with a shoe mounted, when edged on a hard surface (like on the floor at home or on ice on the slopes), I can't make the center touch at all, unless the ends twist out of the way torsionally. The issue is exacerbated on the Heads due to the big sidecut.

In your setup it looks like you have your bindings closer than I would have them (smaller boot size) and the 118 is long enough to have effective ends in terms of shaping the board during a turn, plus the sidecut is smaller and over a much bigger length...

Originally posted by KBell36 View Post
                        Well I think he will most likely stay clear of that with his feelings on the riser .... no need to go there .... we know it is what it is. I may grab a pair and install the inserts in my shop. It would be nice . I would do 4x10 with set back set - not 4x4 even though they ride small they are 118's.

Comment

Kocho,

The picture showing the boot size being smaller is due to the rider that day who rented them. (I rent them out to my members and students) She has a Nordica 265 boot Plus 40mm for Nordica in general, giving the 305mm sole length for the binding. I am a whopping 285/325mm sole (man hood saver? haha)still much smaller than your 369mm. These bindings are very flexible and do allow for under sole flex. But I will say I am not sure the boards will give you much under foot. The tips, tail and asymmetrical shape take care of the carving quite nice on these boards. The firm slow long forward rocker takes care of your lift in the powder. I believe the 68cm between the touchdowns give the turn initiation side cut pics it up from there. I will have to digest a bit here.

Hmmm hold on here ... just reread your post ..... is this more about the binding? They have good flexibility ....... may give more flex than you think. But in reality riser like the Spruce Mountain is the shortest way to really get board flex on short board with larger boots. I do believe I understand your thoughs on the 94's etc. I am working on a riser system that will allow for rental binding and flex. Not sure when it will really be in place but we will see. Shoot for next year.

Ok I'll end up thinking about this for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                            Let us know if you hear anything.

It appears from the pics that the bindings are back mounted like a ski. Are the toe and heel of those particular bindings independently adjustable so you can push the toe far forward and basically set yourself up "center mounted"? I know the demo bindings on my Head Salamanders 94cm can do this.

Comment

Originally posted by KBell36 View Post
                              I am working on a riser system that will allow for rental binding and flex. Not sure when it will really be in place but we will see. Shoot for next year.
                              I will be really interested to see what you come up with. I have an email in to Jeff Springer (of Spruce) asking about mounting Attack 13 Demo versions on his risers. . .

Comment

Working...
                              X