Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 Rockered Condor - Head Turner & Recommended Buy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Rockered Condor - Head Turner & Recommended Buy!

With the initial debut of the 2015 Rockered Condor, I was sold on the graphics alone yet always mildly hesitant about the sheer size being the flagship of the wideboard RVL8 skiboard lineup. A 2cm increase in width at the tips and tails, 2.7cm underfoot and 5cm stretch vs my current Revolts the RC's seemed massive in photos, tanks only reserved for the largest and tallest riders as you can see below being held by our one and only Kirk. For reference, I'm about the size of Dave on the far left coming in at 5'8, 155lbs.

Shipping was prompt and surprisingly fast considering the holiday volume, ordered on the 19th and arriving at the main postal depot 10min from my house Dec 23rd though not out for delivery until Dec 29th. I was out of province so it wasn't an issue anyway but having a package shipped standard priority across North America to Newfoundland was impressive.

First impressions out of the box, at this point having a mini 2nd or 3rd Christmas, was that I may have made a mistake and perhaps should have opted for the Blunt XL's; these things looked HUGE next to my now narrow undersized Revolts. Straddling them without bindings made the boards that much larger. What did I get myself into I thought. Compared to large alpine/backcountry powder boards the RC's are definitely small but since I have yet to venture outside the realm of skiboarding it was akin to a Hobbit discovering a pint for the first time.

Initial plans were to mount the Spruce Riser out of safety concerns long before ordering, the RC's were big scary beast after all, heavy tanks that had to be tossed around or would potentially toss me around. With the riser screwed down to the right board only, suddenly things didn't seem to overwhelming anymore. Though, there was one unforeseen issue, I wouldn't be able to see my polar bear anymore with the Spruce system in place. Hrmm... perhaps non-release bindings could work in this situation. Based on the online definition of skiing experience I seem to fall into the Advanced category and I thoroughly enjoyed the additional feedback, lighter weight and lower ride height from the LINE FF Pro bindings last season.

What happened after this point was pure coincidence, a culmination of something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue. The LINE bindings are vintage 2001, borrowed from my Revolts and certainly blue. The boots and boards, well, certainly new. I couldn't have planned the color scheme better if I tried. Sempai, you'll enjoy this I'm sure.

Carefully placed RVL*8 die cut sticker for a little extra free advertising.

Their first snow

Here I am bottom center strapping in for the first time, captured by either staff or guest of the day.

Upon the first and subsequent skates through the gates/lift lines these boards command attention. The graphics are stunning, a huge contrast from one board to the next that keeping people looking to figure out the story being told. It was rather interesting to see all the heads turning, from the looks to all out stares in wonderment from snowboarders and skiers alike. Everything I heard was positive, these weren't the small skiboards of old or like the snowblades of one local rider. One snowboarder I was chatting with thought they may have been a split board at first yet mentioned they must be amazing in powder was interested to know. Unfortunately I was late arriving at the hill Sunday, just 2hrs before it closed. With only 1/4 of the runs open the majority of the snow was man made and partially scraped off leaving ice below.

Everything I expected in the Rockered Condor was at my disposal and then some. If I had to describe it, it's a small big nimble board that turns the hill into a playground, I don't regret my decision for purchasing them for a second. I'm doing 360's with ease, hitting small piles of snow coming out fakie while continuing on as if I've done all this before. I never noticed the extra size or weight underfoot, at least not on my icy few hours out. Slarving was the name of the game in these conditions but when pushed slightly the RC will dig in and let you carve with ease. The amount of flex in the tips/tails is insane, no backseat riding yet. Try pulling up the tips of a cambered board a few inches off the ground, not gonna happen at least not easily. Stability wise I felt at ease even more so than the Revolts though I chalk some tracking and toe in issues with my older boots. Did I mention how cool they look?!

The thing that is great about skiboarding is it's largely inspired, progressing and evolving for the people and by the people involved. The Rockered Condor is testament to that effort. I remember posting a year ago that I would love a board with simple, bold graphics, a board with green bases and a board that had large bold RVL8 Skiboards written across the bottom. Whether everything I wished or hoped for was purely coincidental I'm uncertain but a huge shout out to Greco and everyone involved.

One key factor to what I just mentioned, Sunday was the first and the coolest day riding RVL8 skiboards ever. With the the die cut RVL*8 Skiboards sticker on the tip and logo tail of the left board not once was I asked what they were. From the lift to the lines I'd catch people staring just taking it all in, all questions already answered except "Where did you get them!". Even a few skiers/snowboarders I remember from last season noticed I had new boards. The most epic moment after doing a 360 to the ski rack and popping off the boards was hearing a young guy say "What are those?!" with his friend replying instantly, while reading the forward turned bold base, SKIBOARDS!

Thanks guys for making a 2 hour day one of the best days out riding yet. I'd recommend the RC's to anyone looking for a little extra playfulness in any terrain, don't let the size fool you, after all they're only large relative to other skiboards.

-Greg
    Boards: RVL*8 '08 Revolt Chicken's, Canon M7 Black, Line Fly 4 post
    Bindings: Line FF Pro, Groove Red X1
    Gear: Dalbello CRX Freeride CarveX, Bern Baker Hard Hat, VZ Fishbowl's & Fubar's, Anon Comrade

Beautiful setup! Glad you're liking them. They're on my list for this year too, love the graphics.

Comment

Great report ! The RC's are a unique board for sure ... glad you took to them right away .... The RCs are the most different from other skiboards in firm snow conditions , and like you say, feeling comfortable with moving from slarving to carving depending on the firmness of the snow is the key .. have fun this season ! you have a winning set up for sure ! Really cool and sharp looking and the performance to match !
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Zman!!!! Thanks for the great review. I take it that us Canadians are more partial to the polar bear! I got the same stares at Tremblant.

Glad you took to them as I have and wait till you try then in full powder. I got about 3 runs of full powder in on my skiboards before the rest of the town woke up and bam! Amazing!
        Riding: RVL8 '15 Rockered Condors
        Bindings: RVL8 '15 Black Receptors | Tyrolia Attack 13 Release Bindings
        Boots: Full Tilt '14 Booters - 27.5

Comment

Great post.

It's a simple formula to having fun;
          Look good, feel good, ride good.
          Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
            The RCs are the most different from other skiboards in firm snow conditions , and like you say, feeling comfortable with moving from slarving to carving depending on the firmness of the snow is the key .. have fun this season ! you have a winning set up for sure ! Really cool and sharp looking and the performance to match !
            Thanks for the kudos, it just kinda fell together and worked out really well from the bindings, must have boards and Nordica FireArrow F1 boots that I picked up on a whim during Black Friday sales. I originally had red Groove bindings installed but with a different shade than the red on the boards it just wasn't doing it for me.

I'm sure once I get a chance to ride them more in different conditions I'll notice a significant difference over a cambered board like the Revolt. Overall they handled the ice and hard pack pretty much the same except with more fineness, they actually felt more comfortable in those conditions as I didn't worry about catching an edge or have to experience the tips/tails chattering. If anything I felt more like a snowboarder, guilty of sideslipping and scrapping the powder off the hill.

Originally posted by wushuguy View Post
            Zman!!!! Thanks for the great review. I take it that us Canadians are more partial to the polar bear! I got the same stares at Tremblant.

Glad you took to them as I have and wait till you try then in full powder. I got about 3 runs of full powder in on my skiboards before the rest of the town woke up and bam! Amazing!
            Sounds like you had an awesome day from riding to feedback as well. I was checking out Porter flight packages to Tremblant though it looks unlikely I'll be going this year. Unfortunately my riding is on hold until Feb 13th. I leave with the Coast Guard again tomorrow doing ice breaking/patrol eventually ending up in Saguenay, QC. Hopefully lots of powder days once I get home and a few days at Marble Mountain.

As for the polar bears, it was the perfect graphic. I've spent several months sailing in the Arctic and crossing the North Pole. I've seen about a dozen polar bears or more during both trips so these really meant something to me.

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
            Great post.

It's a simple formula to having fun;
            Look good, feel good, ride good.
            Thanks Bad Wolf! As vein as the looking good is and developing ones own image or style it carries over into the others as you feel better about yourself and more confidant in your abilities. It's part of the sport in many ways albeit expensive. From the helmet, goggles, neck gaiter, jacket, gloves, pants, boots, bindings and boards I've put it together for just shy of $1000. It seems like a lot but items were purchased over several years. Considering a pair of skis or a snowboard can set one back $500-$1000 I feel I did pretty good.
            Boards: RVL*8 '08 Revolt Chicken's, Canon M7 Black, Line Fly 4 post
            Bindings: Line FF Pro, Groove Red X1
            Gear: Dalbello CRX Freeride CarveX, Bern Baker Hard Hat, VZ Fishbowl's & Fubar's, Anon Comrade

Comment

Originally posted by zman View Post
              I couldn't have planned the color scheme better if I tried. Sempai, you'll enjoy this I'm sure.
              I do. So sharp!

Great review! The RCs are very special boards. There is nothing else like them. I get the most interest and positive comments when I'm riding them. Just wait until you can get them out in some deep fluffy stuff. You'll really fall in love then.
              Boards/Bindings:
              2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
              2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
              2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
              Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
              Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Good review, glad you love the boards. The RC's are prob the most playful boards I have ever ridden.
                Rockered Condors/Bomber Elite 2's
                Spruce 125LE's/Tyrolia attack 13 bindings

Comment

Originally posted by zman View Post
                  Compared to large alpine/backcountry powder boards the RC's are definitely small but since I have yet to venture outside the realm of skiboarding it was akin to a Hobbit discovering a pint for the first time.

zman - nice write-up and photos. Glad you are digging the RCs. I would like to get out on them again - I only rode them for a little more than an hour maybe 2 years ago before I really developed a decent set of skills.

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences on them. Good luck with the icebreaking duty. Would be cool to see some photos from your voyages.
                  In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                  Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Working...
                  X