A Most Interesting Boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Most Interesting Boot

I recently purchased a pair of Nordica NXT N4 boots. Why, when I have so many? Well, this boot seems to fulfill my criteria on just about every front.

Specifically, they are light, have heat mouldable liners, canting, a decent sole, micro adjustable buckles, one of those little loops on the top of the tongue to aid putting them on, and seem very well made. But beyond these must haves, they have one huge difference. They have a very very upright stance. Not even the much missed Salomon Performa range were quite so upright. I can stand in reasonable comfort with my knees actually locked. They stance really is quite different to previous boots I have tried, way more comfortable.
    So how do they ski? Very well indeed! I didn't have them heat moulded. They fit 90% right straight out of the box. Only the heel cup was a little tight. I prefer to ski boots in rather than moulding them. I always find moulding just sacks out the liner too much. After about an hour of skiing they felt pretty much perfect. Skiing itself was very different. In the first hundred yards I nearly fell twice as I was way too far back on the heels. Fortunately the super tail support on the Blunt XLs held me and saved my ego. Once I figured out the balance everything was fine, but the boots really do ski quite differently from those with conventional lean.
    They are a tall boot, so any kind of angulation guarantees great edge response. Because they are so tall, the back has an expander to allow those with large calf muscles to be comfortable. I have never seen this on a boot before.
    The liners are light but very well made. There seems to be a suggestion that the sole of the liner is also mouldable, eliminating the need for stupidly overpriced footbeds. The shell is medium width and surprisingly low volume for an intermediate boot, but the toebox is quite roomy so they should be warm. The sole plate under the liner is a little flexible so will help damp shocks from landings etc.
    There is a huge amount to like here, not least the price. £170 full retail for a new season boot is brilliant. My guess is that will be $170 outside of rip off Britain.
    If you get the chance, try a pair on.

http://www.nordica.com/uk-ireland/products/nxt-n4/
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Those sound great, I may have to look into them in the future.
    A quick Google search shows them at about $250.00 (US).
    Sticky Icky Ickys (I think I'm in love )
    Spruce 120's (they served me well)
    Trikke Skki

Comment

Glad to report that after two weeks use on the mountain I am happier than ever with these boots. I found that by buckling the top two buckles loosely, I could generate normal forward lean while skiing. After a couple of days I increased the buckle tension, and then again a day later. I am now comfortable skiing anything in the full upright position. And comfortable is the right word. After a full day on the slopes plus evening apres ski in the village I still had no comfort issues at all. Would not dream of loosening the buckles at lunch stop. No need. All in all, a great purchase that I can highly recommend trying. As the season progresses, deals should become available.
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

Working...
      X