Blunt XL Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blunt XL Part 2

Rode the XLs again for a morning today and had a total blast. Xscape was pretty much deserted so I could use all of the space as fast as I liked. This wonderful board just gives me a huge sense of security. You can do anything you want, any time you want, and pretty much any way you want and it just begs for more.
    After spending the last three seasons on the RCs or the Blunts, it's at first a bit confusing to have this much edge grip and tail support available, so it takes a while to 'get' just how hard you can push these dynamos. Sure, they come from the rockered family so you can spin and slide and slarve (yuk LOL) as much as you want, but you can also get real serious and push these guys right to the stops and they just lap it up.
    Even when I didn't quite get it right the massive support of the tails rescued things. And they do it all with a poise and delicacy that no cambered board could ever match.
    They have now had three deep hot waxings plus Zardoz so the bases are getting nice and fast. The production boards will have a faster material on the bases anyway, so if you want to let them run they are damn quick. I got nagged a bit today by the staff for going 'a bit quick'. Meh! I blamed the boards!
    Like the blunts, they ski big. They give me the same feeling of security as a 120 but in an incredibly nimble and dynamic package.
    Have I now got my one board quiver? Damn straight!
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Oh boy! Now I'm really getting anxious for the season to start.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
      Oh boy! Now I'm really getting anxious for the season to start.
      You and me both brother. Currently the fittest I have been in ten years. Just counting the days . . ..
      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
        .... They give me the same feeling of security as a 120 but in an incredibly nimble and dynamic package. Have I now got my one board quiver? Damn straight!
        You're killing me (and my wallet). The more reviews you write the more I am interested but I still think I will have to try them before I buy a set. Winter can not come fast enough.
        Boards:
        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Valmorel,

Is there an increase in the fore stability as well? I went over the handlebars a few times on the Blunts in variable conditions. Hate those face plants.
          Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
            Valmorel,

Is there an increase in the fore stability as well? I went over the handlebars a few times on the Blunts in variable conditions. Hate those face plants.
            Very much so. Wonderful secure feeling. Much more than the Blunts or RCs
            Go Android

Comment

Blunt XL Part 2

You mentioned after the first ride that you were considering detuning the edges for less grip. Did you forgo that?

Btw: glad to hear they are performing so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                You mentioned after the first ride that you were considering detuning the edges for less grip. Did you forgo that?

Btw: glad to hear they are performing so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Ha ha, yes, added slight base angle. Half a degree over half the width of the steel. Very little lift. History suggests protos almost always come flat whereas production models have a base angle. No tip detuning though. Yet LOL
                Go Android

Comment

How stiff are the XLs? I have always found the soft flex of the 120s great but when applied to the rockered 125s the tails seem to disappear when I got off balance.
                  Boards:
                  2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                  2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                  2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                  2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                  2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                  2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                  2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                  2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Valmorel. Did you ride the Blunts on Tuesday morning too or were you having such a blast on the XLs that you didn't get round to that? The speed of the snow in Xscape can vary from visit to visit IMHO. Was it a "fast" day, in your opinion or purely down to the Blunt XLs?
                    Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
                    Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
                    Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
                      Valmorel. Did you ride the Blunts on Tuesday morning too or were you having such a blast on the XLs that you didn't get round to that? The speed of the snow in Xscape can vary from visit to visit IMHO. Was it a "fast" day, in your opinion or purely down to the Blunt XLs?
                      It was a 'fast' day and I only rode the XLs. Had the Blunts with me but having way too good a time on the XLs to switch.
                      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                        How stiff are the XLs? I have always found the soft flex of the 120s great but when applied to the rockered 125s the tails seem to disappear when I got off balance.
                        Subjectively, medium/stiff, but the production boards are going to be a little softer. My pair gives me a similar feel to ALPs or 105s, but without the grabbiness. You get the smooth feel that rockered boards seem to have but with loads more support than either the Blunts or RCs.
                        Go Android

Comment

There is a small lip runs right across the slope at Xscape, the kind of thing you get on the hill where a path runs across the slope. If you hit it fast enough you can get quite nice air. On the RCs and the Blunts the landing is def sketchy if you don't do it dead right. On the XLs it was simple. Didn't really matter if I landed on the tails or the tips, they just held up and kept right on truckin.
                          But that wasn't the nicest way to use it. It was much more of a delight to squash a little, let the boards go very light, and make a turn in the air, landing on the edges in a carve. I just can't do this on the RCs because the edge won't hook up hard enough and they slide out, and the Blunts are a little short when I don't get it spot on. Again, a total delight on the XLs.
                          It's hard to learn stuff like this without help from the kit.
                          Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                            This wonderful board just gives me a huge sense of security. You can do anything you want, any time you want, and pretty much any way you want and it just begs for more...it's at first a bit confusing to have this much edge grip and tail support available, so it takes a while to 'get' just how hard you can push these dynamos….you can also get real serious and push these guys right to the stops and they just lap it up. Even when I didn't quite get it right the massive support of the tails rescued things.
                            Getting very hard to resist pulling out the credit card….must be strong.

Damn you Greco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                            Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Okay I'm pumped! Greco, overnight my XL's when they come in! Lol
                              rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
                              ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Working...
                              X