• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Line Skiboards...

These...
    are...
    FREAKING AMAZING!!!

If you are privileged enough to be able to ride these boards, they are really a dream! I thought the KTP's were fun to get up on edge and rip, but these things were just simply freaking amazing!

This is my first skiboard review, so please bear with the limited adjectives and lack of actual information I have about the boards. Seriously though, amazing...

I met with CrazyBoy-01 (Tim) and Bluewing (David) at Elk Mtn. in northern PA this past Saturday for such a fantastic day of riding. The mountain was the best groomed mountainn I've been at all year, and conditions were the best I've been on all year. Perfectly soft groomers all morning, no ice, no crud, just pure untainted Elk.

I started out the day warming up with my revolts, getting the blood flowing, and having a blast! Every run was beautiful, ripping down the mountain and just loving it. Tim had brought some toys with him, and I am sooooooo thankful he did!! Around 11:30 am I got to switch to the 1996 Lines. First glance, I thought about how I feel most comfortable on longer boards, at least having the ability to lean back and save myself in certain situations. I was just skeptical about the design. Once underfoot, everything felt oh-so good. I spent the rest of the day on them, never looking back.

First run on these boards felt so natural. I love carving, and with these boards, I cannot describe the feeling. I feel the KTP's are a step up from the revolts as per carving. These Lines are a whole step or two up in the carving department. When riding flat out, these boards are probably some of the fastest boards I've ever been on. The length of the boards had me second guessing my speed in most situations, but after getting used to them everything was fine. I don't mind falling, but at those speeds I figured I would absolutely hurt myself if I tumbled. Luckily it was only a few runs till I felt comfortable and never tumbled or fell.

I have tried snowboarding in the past, and one thing that is too dangerous to do is ride flat out. I had a scary feeling on the Lines that I would catch a little pile of snow and twist my ankle as people do on snowboards, but it never happened and I got over it quickly. Flat out these are scary fast, but plow through any crap on the mountain.

At one point in the day we took a quick run through the "kiddy park" just to see how the boards felt on some boxes and rails. Once again I was a slight bit hesitant, but realized I needed to give it a whirl. These boards did wonderfully. Boxes lock up right away, rails felt comfortable, and finished the run with a little tiny kicker, which upon landing I realized these boards are perfect for the park. Stomped the landing and couldn't stop smiling!

Keep in mind, conditions were PERFECT for these boards. Nice soft groomers and well maintained park. Ice would be the only thing I would be concerned about with them, and that is only because I am not used to such short boards under my feet.

Other then ridability, these boards are lighter then you'd think, with a nice retro/70's style color scheme. I loved the reverse style non-release binding, pretty nice design, easier to lock then the FF Pro's on my revolts. The bindings felt very solid for being the first design out there.

Before I had a chance to ride them, I was trying to find out information on these "relics" and couldn't find much. Simply a video that Tim had filmed of himself on the boards, and a single well-written review on skiboardreview.com (http://www.skiboardreview.com/catego...ine/1996-line/) written by him also. That is what also sparked my interest, the lack of discussion of these original skiboards.

I want these boards for my own!!! Being the first commercially sold skiboard, I can't believe that there isn't some design in the skiboard world today that is similar. Not just short and fat, but SUPER short and SUPER fat. PLEASE PLEASE GRECO, consider a design similar to these for production!! After being on them, these are exactly what skiboards are supposed to be, and they perform exactly how skiboards should perform (in my opinion).

I am also interested in anyone else's opinion of these boards. If you've tried them, please let us know of your experience!!

Originally posted by krillinakw View Post
    These...
    are...
    FREAKING AMAZING!!!
    That's all the review I need.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
      That's all the review I need.
      sempai - I'm pretty sure that if you rode these they would hit that short board sweet spot you are trying to get back to!
      In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
      Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Here is Tim's thread on the 1996 Line Skiboards with some pictures. Ps. I was able to watch Tim ride the things at Kirkwood during Shredfest 3 , he rocked those things all over the mountain including broken steep off piste pow .. I felt a little embarassed that I needed giant Condors as he rocked every nasty off piste slope I could throw at him,on his tiny boards. .... pretty impressive ... I think those were a fantastic design , unfortunately Jason Levinthal went narrower after that first shot at skiboard design ...

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ead.php?t=9550

From that thread , here is a picture of Tim's 1996 Lines next to one of his Condors

Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Zero Pro Non release Binding
        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
          Here is Tim's thread on the 1996 Line Skiboards with some pictures. Ps. I was able to watch Tim ride the things at Kirkwood during Shredfest 3 , he rocked those things all over the mountain including broken steep off piste pow .. I felt a little embarassed that I needed giant Condors as he rocked every nasty off piste slope I could throw at him,on his tiny boards. .... pretty impressive ...
          Tim is one of those riders that operates in a different gravitational field that the rest of us! Austin does as well....
          In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
          Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by krillinakw View Post
            These...
            are...
            FREAKING AMAZING!!!

I want these boards for my own!!! Being the first commercially sold skiboard, I can't believe that there isn't some design in the skiboard world today that is similar. Not just short and fat, but SUPER short and SUPER fat. PLEASE PLEASE GRECO, consider a design similar to these for production!! After being on them, these are exactly what skiboards are supposed to be, and they perform exactly how skiboards should perform (in my opinion).
            Go shorties! Maybe 87 is a magic number?
            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

The '96 Lines are definitely the epitome of skiboarding, short and fat. The KTP is the closest thing as far as modern designs.
              RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

From the pic there looks to be very little sidecut and the tips and tail appear to be assymetrical. Is that the case, or is it just the angle they were shot?
                Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                  From the pic there looks to be very little sidecut and the tips and tail appear to be assymetrical. Is that the case, or is it just the angle they were shot?
                  I thought the same thing at first, but I think it's just the angle since the Condors have the same appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by kirk View Post
                    I thought the same thing at first, but I think it's just the angle since the Condors have the same appearance.
                    Yeah, I noticed that about the Condors too.
                    Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                    Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

They are symmetrical. As far as the sidecut, the width to length ratio mask how much sidecut there is. If you look down the base, you can see it more clearly. I'll try to remember to take a picture from that perspective when I get home and post it.

Edit:
                      Pictures as promised...

It was hard to get a good angle, but I hope the sidecut is evident.

This shows the "reverse" binding that Austin mentioned.
                      Last edited by CrazyBoy-1; 03-19-2013, 02:44 PM. Reason: Update with pictures

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Tip and tail are 16cm? What is the waist width?

Comment

Tim, you have quite a collection of shorties there. What all do you have?
                          Boards/Bindings:

Boots:
                          Salomon X-Pro 80

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
                            This shows the "reverse" binding that Austin mentioned.
                            Tim, what's the scoop with that binding? Did you build that? With that touring boot, it looks like you have a free-heel capable set up there ;-)

Comment

Greco, I don't have the exact specs anymore, but I measure about 14.25cm at the waist. Yes, they are wider than the Condors under the boot. I believe this may be one reason that the binding hole pattern is bigger.

Scott, I have many different sub-90cm boards, including:
                              Line 5-0's
                              Groove Invertigo's
                              Journey 87 Twins
                              Ariel Fervors
                              SnowJam 90's
                              SnowJam 75's
                              Revel8 Tansho's
                              And of course, the '96 Line Skiboards

I have ridden all but the Tansho's, which I intend to get on next season. I gave them to my mom as loaners this year, but I think I'll put her on the BWP's next winter. The 5-O's are the most skate-like with their skinny width, but they are also the most limited performance wise. At 6'3" and 190lbs, I dwarf the SnowJam 75's, and I ended up on my backside many times riding them. The SnowJam 90's were my first skiboards, and beat them hard learning my basic skills. I haven't ridden them since I got my EMP's (RIP) my second season in. The Invertigo's are some of my favorite boards. The bases are very fast, the sidecut is a good balance between maneuverability and stability, and I love the simplicity of the white and grey graphics. The Journey 87's are incredibly playful boards. They have a very aggressive sidecut and quite a bit of camber, so they turn very sharply and have lots of "pop." The Ariel Fervors are some of the best carving boards that I've been on. They are fairly stiff and have a lazy sidecut, so they love big long carves. The '96's are really the best short boards that I've ridden. They have basically the same nimbleness of the slimmer boards, but they have way more surface area. For someone my size, that is a very good thing. I intend to take these out to Breck for Spring Steez, and I'll hopefully get some decent footage of them in action out there to complement what I have of Austin riding them at Elk.

Bill, that is actually an original binding that I stumbled upon on eBay. The front bail is fixed, so it wouldn't work too well as a touring binding, although I'd love to do some backcountry on the 96's just for the heck of it. The boot in the picture is actually a Salomon Versa, which is a good skiboarding boot.

Here's a close shot of the binding. They are labeled as Line, but I'm pretty sure they were made by Catek, just like the FF bindings.

Comment

Working...
                              X