New Sherpa Convert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sherpa Convert

I've spent some time on the Sherpas now.

Rode the Sherpas all day today with my custom UHMW risers and PX12 bindings. I am in skiboard heaven. This day did it for me. I am officially a Sherpa convert. Love these things.

One thing I do not get though. I've heard a lot of people on here say the Sherpas need to be driven hard. I never got that feeling at all. I went from easy, mild cruising to full on hard carving. I never once felt like I had to drive them hard. They seemed super sweet and accommodating regardless of how I rode them. They never seemed to get in my way and never felt like too much. In fact, all day long I kept forgetting I was on such a big skiboard. They felt just as nimble and easy to pilot as any other skiboard I've ridden.

I think I'm going to be offloading some other boards now.

I just can't imagine when I would ever want to ride anything else.
    Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
    Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
    Full Tilt Boots
    Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Originally posted by FightingForAir View Post
    I've heard a lot of people on here say the Sherpas need to be driven hard.
    I'm spending most of my time on the Sherpas also, I know I don't need to drive them hard but it's kind of like being in a muscle car...you just want to hit the gas.

Comment

Yes ... exactly. I was at Timberline on Mt. Hood. There are a few very long, wide blue runs. Windblown and icy at the top, chunky on the sides, rest was smooth powertilled groom. Long, fast carves were a dream through all of it.

very tasty.
      Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
      Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
      Full Tilt Boots
      Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

I just had my first dalliance with Sherpas. My experience is a bit tainted by compounding variables from new boots and new boards. I have yet to achieve the right footbed configuration. Because of the new boots, a case of altitude sickness and hard pack conditions I stuck to the groomed blues and greens at Mammoth. But, I did get a good taste for the Sherpa personality.

For me I would describe it not so much as being driven but they liked being told what to do., Almost like a snowboard that always wants to be either on one edge or the other (but, way less work than a snowboard). If ran flat and left to their own wonderings the speed and stability seemed endless with an occasional tendency to hook an edge. But, they really shined when I rode them with a minimal constant edge input. As long as I told them where to go they gladly took me there in comfort, style, speed and stability.

I also had waxed them with the Hertel Race Wax that Mahatma recommended. That stuff is incredible. I owe Mahatma a few apologies for cussing him on the hill when while standing still that wax is so slick I kept weather veining in the wind uncontrollably without edges. It was fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by rgzip View Post
          kind of like being in a muscle car...you just want to hit the gas.
          Some people ride in a style that they don't know how to hit the gas. Sherpas don't work very well for them. They don't ride well ridden like a big balance ball. I always ride them feathering an edge. I'm always amazed in tight spots how well I can turn them. If I had to have just one of Grecos/Jeffs skiboards, it would be the Sherpa.
          Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
          Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
          Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
          History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

My son and a college friend were back at home for the President's day weekend and we went to Kirkwood yesterday . My son's friend is 18 years old and from Denver and is an expert twin tip skier . He doesn't do park but loves hucking cliffs. He was very interested in trying some skiboards and I put him on the new Sherpas with direct mount Fritschi bindings. He took to them like a duck to water and loved them ... he said they were super fun and there was no learning curve.. he thought they were super stable in crud , carved like a dream and he spun them and rode fakie down the hill like no tomorrow. He really wants a pair ! There was one and only one thing that he says he would have preferred his long skis and that was hucking a cliff ... I didn't know he was going to do it .. but he went flying off a cliff (maybe a 10 foot drop ) and landed in the back seat .. he said that his long skis have a lot more stability out back LOL ...

I have huge respect for our skiboarder pros who can land big drops on their Revolts , Alps and KTPs those darn things haven even less support for landings ......
            Boards :
            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
            Boots
            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
            Bindings:
            Zero Pro Non release Binding
            Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
            Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
            Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Working...
            X