No announcement yet.

Bomber Fin-tecs & Step-ins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I guess I forgot to post those pictures of my latest setup. Fortunately, I did take pictures during the conversion process, and I have them below.

These are the parts that you'll need to order if you want to convert a pair of Bomber skiboard bindings into step-ins. The toe bail and the heel receiver with its hardware. Everything else is already on the regular skiboard bindings.

Part way through the process, this shows the new parts and the parts that they replace.

Here is a side-by-side shot showing the regular Elite 2 next to the first one converted to step-in.

Finally, here is the new setup next to my original Bomber step-in setup.

What this picture doesn't adequately illustrate is the difference in stack height between the new and old setups. The old heel receiver was made of machined aluminum, and it had to be quite thick for strength. This is why a spacer was provided to raise the toe block to match. The new receiver is formed steel, and it is much thinner. The standard toe block works well with it. I was afraid that the decreased stack height would take away from the effectiveness of the bindings, but so far they have been fine.

Jeaho, I really like the Bombers with the step-in setup. For me, it offers the best of both worlds from release and nonrelease bindings. The step-ins are nonrelease, but they are very easy to get in to and out of.
    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

awesome!!

I would love to get that step in non-release bindings!! that is just perfect! I got some questions though.
      how do you feel when you ride? no difference between regular non-release? no problem riding powder, park, groomed, etc?

I have dalbello voodoo boots

and heel looks like this. it looks very different than yours. do i have to get a heel part that fits for my boots in order to set this step in bindings? in that case, where did you get those separate heel parts.. .

and you click on your heel parts to the bindings and your front part with the "originally" heel metal part. correct?
      any problem with fittings?

again, man this is great!!! awesome!
      I always wanted to use release bindings because of the ease of stepping in and out but it was just too heavy. Great job!
      2011 Receptor Gold on 2010 KTP and DLP

Comment

I don't think they make a Dalbello heel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
        Crossbow (go to dream board)
        Most everything else over time.
        Go Android

Comment

Do I have this right?

To make this work you need,

Hard snowboard boots, FinTec compatible
          FinTec Heel Conversion Kit
          Bomber Elite Skiboard Bindings
          Side Winder Step In Uppers Conversion Kit
          Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by JPARK View Post
            ...and heel looks like this. it looks very different than yours. do i have to get a heel part that fits for my boots in order to set this step in bindings?
            This (or any other) nonrelease step-in system will not work at all with conventional DIN type ski boots (such as your Dabellos), the special heel piece will only work with intec-compatible hardshell snowboard boots. To have a set up like Tim's, the only practical option is to start with hardshell snowboard boots (such as: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/deeluxe_track225.html ). A few years ago these were more popular and talked-about with skiboarders.

UPZ makes a kit to convert intec compatable boots to DIN, but it doesn't go the other way, you can't convert DIN (ski) boots to intec.

Bad Wolf, I'm not sure about the "side winder " kit you mentioned, I missed that somewhere, but you're right that you need 1)the hardshell snowboard boots 2) the fintec heels and 3) the correct bomber skiboad binding and retrofit parts including heel reciever just as Tim describes in detail...

Comment

Jeaho, Bill is correct. There is no step-in heel available for your boots. That's not to say that with the right resources you couldn't make something work, but you'd end up spending more than what a new or good used pair of hardshell snowboards boots would cost.

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
              Do I have this right?

To make this work you need,

Hard snowboard boots, FinTec compatible
              FinTec Heel Conversion Kit
              Bomber Elite Skiboard Bindings
              Side Winder Step In Uppers Conversion Kit
              "Yes" to the first two, "yes and no" to the third, and "no" to the fourth.

You definitely need the boots and heels (Intec or Fintec).

You do not necessarily need skiboard bindings, depending on what boards you're using. If you happen to be on anything of KTP width or greater, you could use the regular snowboard bindings. I would only recommend this as an option is you happen to find a set of snowboard bindings for a very good price. The snowboard versions of the Bomber bindings are much more complex and heavier.

The Side Winder version of the TD3 bindings is designed to allow alpine snowboarders to have lateral flexion (relative to their boots) and would not work on skiboards. I haven't been on BOL recently, so I'm not sure what kits they have available. Basically, if you have a set of Elite 2 bindings, or if you have Elite 1's from the last couple years that they were offered, all you need are the heel receivers and the toe bails. All other hardware is used from the existing bindings.

If anyone wants more clarification on the setup, please let me know. I'm happy to post up more pictures. I could even take a quick video of how the interface works if there is interest.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post

If anyone wants more clarification on the setup, please let me know. I'm happy to post up more pictures. I could even take a quick video of how the interface works if there is interest.
                Interested
                Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                  Interested
                  x2 please
                  sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                    x2 please

3x a charm :-)

Comment

Jeaho, Bill is correct. There is no step-in heel available for your boots. That's not to say that with the right resources you couldn't make something work, but you'd end up spending more than what a new or good used pair of hardshell snowboards boots would cost.
                      that's very unfortunate.
                      i guess i will stick with regular non-release. prob save some money for release bindings.
                      but your set up is sick
                      great work!!
                      2011 Receptor Gold on 2010 KTP and DLP

Comment

...If anyone wants more clarification on the setup, please let me know. I'm happy to post up more pictures. I could even take a quick video of how the interface works if there is interest.
                        Yes please! I have the bindings needed (least important factor...) but after seeing this whole setup work in the wild, I think this is the way of the future. So much less hassle when connecting boards to boots. This setup makes all others seem like strapping in on a snowboard, a long and annoying process. If the boots were cheaper, I would be buying the items for this and using them this year.

Comment

Hey guys, I did make up a video showing some more details on my setup, but I'm having trouble uploading it right now. I apologize for the delay, but I will try to have the video up within the next couple days.

Comment

Hey guys, I did make up a video showing some more details on my setup, but I'm having trouble uploading it right now. I apologize for the delay, but I will try to have the video up within the next couple days.
                            Looking forward to your video, Tim. I'm sure it will help folks see just how slick your setup works ;-)

Comment

Good to go...

Comment

WOW!

Excellent job on the video and great explanation. Thanks for putting it all together.
                                sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Working...
                                X